Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice from avid Bakers

Options
  • 09-11-2011 5:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I'd like to get a christmas pressie for a friend who is an avid baker. She has only become enthusiastic in the past year but is very good already. What is the nicest baking-related present you have been given, or bought for yourself? Can be baking implement or baking cookbook..

Hope this is the right place for this post, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

Best present ever was my Kitchen Aid but unlikely the budget is going anyway near that.

How to Be a Domestic Goddess by Nigella Lawson is a great baking book, good recipes for breads and both sweet and savoury baked goods.

The other thing that's very handy are silicon liners for baking sheets, I personally don't like the silicon tins (I don't think you get the proper heat transfer and crust/caramelisation when you use them) but the liners are a great substitute for greaseproof.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Catering size baking parchment..can't live without mine.
    Although that's not very presenty.
    Maybe a voucher for a baking shop like kitchencompliments or a local shop.
    Do you know what stuff she bakes the most? If it's something like cupcakes and if she likes to ice stuff disposable piping bags or sprinkles.

If she likes baking tins maybe a madeline baking tin or a shaped tin or some cookie cutters.
    Weighing scales, a nice mixing bowl perhaps? Decent oven gloves.
    Measuring cups, measuring spoons. Chopping board, cake tins.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭Eviledna

For books I'd recommend Complete Baking by Martha Day, it's one of the nicest prezzies anyone has ever gotten me.

For implements, I love my cake plate, it's nice to display a freshly baked cake or scones on it :) Otherwise, a good handmixer can work wonders too, I particularly love my kenwood.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭biddywiddy

+1 on a cake plate. I have a glass plate with a domed lid (it also doubles as a punch bowl when you turn both the base and the lid upside down :) ) and the lid is great for keeping baked goods covered and fresh.

A nice set of various size spoon and cup measures are a nice present too. I have an All-Clad set I picked up in the US and they are great quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Cake plate sounds good as well maybe one of those cake servers to go with.

Love those Kenwood hand mixers, I've got a Kenwood stand mixer and dying to get the handmixer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭jinxremoving

Maybe make up a little mini hamper with different kinds of sprinkles, choc chips and decorations?if she likes cupcakes or the like. Dunnes have a big range imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Wally Runs

senelra wrote: »
    +1 on a cake plate. I have a glass plate with a domed lid (it also doubles as a punch bowl when you turn both the base and the lid upside down :) ) and the lid is great for keeping baked goods covered and fresh.

I have this and it works a treat.

Advertisement