Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Social Welfare & Jobbridge

Options
  • 09-11-2011 6:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

I've gotten myself an internship and i was in the social welfare today to give them the paperwork.

I'm starting my internship next monday, but my next sign on day is next week also, and i have asked social welfare if i still need to sign on. They didn't know.

I also wanted to know if i have to collect my money in the post office next week or does it go into my bank account and they didn't know.

And I realise you get paid your 50 euro extra, 2 weeks after the internship starts, but do i still get paid next week, or do i have to wait 2 whole weeks before i get any money. Again Social Welfare didn't know.

Social Welfare or Fas aren't giving me any answers. Can anyone help me with my queries?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Aero28 wrote: »
    I've gotten myself an internship and i was in the social welfare today to give them the paperwork.

I'm starting my internship next monday, but my next sign on day is next week also, and i have asked social welfare if i still need to sign on. They didn't know.

I also wanted to know if i have to collect my money in the post office next week or does it go into my bank account and they didn't know.

And I realise you get paid your 50 euro extra, 2 weeks after the internship starts, but do i still get paid next week, or do i have to wait 2 whole weeks before i get any money. Again Social Welfare didn't know.

Mods this should be moved to state benefits.

Social Welfare or Fas aren't giving me any answers. Can anyone help me with my queries?

1. You shouldnt have to sign on next week... that can be excused and no further signing on until internship finishes.
    2. Did you give them bank details so your money can be paid into bank account? They should be able to stop the payment to the post office for next week and re-direct it to your bank account.
    3. Do you have the necessary 78 days in payment to qualify for jobbridge?

I dont know what sw office you are dealing with but this is very poor customer service.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,309 ✭✭✭T-K-O

They should have requested your bank details. There is no need to sign on, payment is transfered directly into your account.

If you only got the paperwork I am surprised you are starting so soon. Has the company in question experience with the program??

I started an internship and had to stop and stay at home after 3/4 weeks because the the local office didn't send the correct paper work to FAS.

Getting information is like pulling teeth, I would advise to contact FAS and the local office to confirm your start date.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Ya you are still with the social welfare and sign on they add the 50 euro on for you with your social welfare. Good luck with your internship.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Aero28

Thanks Guys, I appreciate the help.:)

They didn't send my form off to jobbridge. They gave it back to me after photocopying it and they told me that it was up to me to send it off. I went to Fas and they told me that social welfare were supposed to send it off themselves. But they gave me the address and i posted it myself.

I was heading back in to them this morning to demand answers, but they rang me, and told me that money will go directly into my account next week and every week after that.

I hate dealing with them, but hopefully all is ok now. Will wait and see next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,253 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Flippa, this is the third time I've had to edit one of your posts. Please stop posting it in multiple places, and stop throwing the company name around. There's a reason I edited your first post.

xxlauraxxox, please report posts in future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 Tiggermc

I am so fed up with these people.
    I got an offer of an internship which right down the path I want to go. Today I went to get the forms filled out at the social welfare office and I was ineligible as I have worked for 8 weeks out of the last 12 months. The Internship eligibility clearly states “To be eligible for a place as an intern you must be on Live Register and currently in receipt of Jobseekers Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance or signing for Social Insurance Contribution Credits for 3 months (78 days) or more in the last 6 months".
    The” female” in the social told me "The form was worded wrong and her interpretation was I had to be 3 months out of work directly prior to starting the scheme". Despite what it says on the form.
    I have spoken to FAS, Job bridge and Citizens advice and they have told me that I am fully eligible for the scheme, yet wont provide me with any proof. So gaining experience for a future career is in the hands of a low level civil servant. I will try banging on doors again tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

Tiggermc wrote: »
    I got an offer of an internship which right down the path I want to go. Today I went to get the forms filled out at the social welfare office and I was ineligible as I have worked for 8 weeks out of the last 12 months. The Internship eligibility clearly states “To be eligible for a place as an intern you must be on Live Register and currently in receipt of Jobseekers Benefit, Jobseekers Allowance or signing for Social Insurance Contribution Credits for 3 months (78 days) or more in the last 6 months".
    The” female” in the social told me "The form was worded wrong and her interpretation was I had to be 3 months out of work directly prior to starting the scheme". Despite what it says on the form.
    I have spoken to FAS, Job bridge and Citizens advice and they have told me that I am fully eligible for the scheme, yet wont provide me with any proof. So gaining experience for a future career is in the hands of a low level civil servant. I will try banging on doors again tomorrow.

I dont know what is going on in SW offices aroun the country. Since you have spoken to Fas, Jobbridge and Citizens advice can someone from either of these three contact your local SW office and inform them you are eligble.

I think the lady you spoke to in SW might be getting confused with the CE Scheme. You have to unemployed a minimum of 12 months to meet the eligibilty criteria for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭triple-M

Matter of interest if you are taking part in one of the internships are you allowed to work a second p-t job if it doesnt interfere with the internship?

• Registered Users Posts: 444 ✭✭Lisa2011

triple-M wrote: »
    Matter of interest if you are taking part in one of the internships are you allowed to work a second p-t job if it doesnt interfere with the internship?

I honestly dont know but if I was at the weekend I was expect that there is no problem. It would be best to check this with social welfare

• Registered Users Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭eastbono

Tiggermc wrote: »

The following is a link to the eligibility criteria for jobbridge from welfare.ie
    print off the criteria or go back into sw office and ask them to check it from website as it states clearly The National Internship Scheme is limited to individuals who are on the Live Register and have been in receipt of Jobseekers Allowance/Benefit or signing on for credits for at least 3 of the previous 6 months.

http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Schemes/JobseekerSupports/Pages/internship_jobbridge.aspx#eligibility

Edit: I am presuming you did not give up your employment to take part in the scheme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Beckala

Hi, just got internship also but costing me €100 a week to get to the place and back as I can't afford to buy and run a car. Is there any kind of compensation available for travel?

Advertisement