Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

First Triathlon in 2012 Thread

• 09-11-2011 6:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭

Just another idea. I know there have been threads like this in the past and I think they were very successful so maybe it might be a good idea to have a thread where those of us doing our first triathlon in 2012 could come and discuss our training, ask all those newbie questions and hopefully the more experienced people might give us some pearls of wisdom.

I have come to triathlon in the most common way I think- injured running during the summer and didnt want to lose fitness so I started cycling and swimming. Im still unable to run much but have joined my local tri club and am loving the group cycles and turbo. Im hoping that my first venture into triathlon will be the North Tipp Sprint next April.

So is there anyone else out there who would like to be part of my thread?

Dont leave me hanging out here on my own:D

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Good thread to refer to - Tips for Triathletes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

North Tipp Sprint is a good race to start with - first one I did too, loved it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Good thread to refer to - Tips for Triathletes

Sure that thread is useless unless you want to know how to pee yourself ;)

I'm planning on doing my first tri next year. (I also said the same thing this time last year too)

When do tri races begin to open for entries for 2012? Are the days of races selling out in a few hours gone or do you still need to plan now for where you want to race in 2012?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    Sure that thread is useless unless you want to know how to pee yourself ;)

I'm planning on doing my first tri next year. (I also said the same thing this time last year too)

When do tri races begin to open for entries for 2012? Are the days of races selling out in a few hours gone or do you still need to plan now for where you want to race in 2012?

Peeing yourself is an essential skill. Knock your nuts off for a 1:00 gain on the bike just to give up 2:00 from stopping to wee.

The days of races selling out is over. More likely to see races cancelled at the last minute due to lack of numbers.

My tip would be for race selection : If the race is not discussed on the ART events board there is a damn good reason for it and you should avoid that race like the plague.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

tunney wrote: »
    My tip would be for race selection : If the race is not discussed on the ART events board there is a damn good reason for it and you should avoid that race like the plague.

*rushing off to search for thread on North Tipp Sprint:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,584 ✭✭✭✭tunney

Bally8 wrote: »
    *rushing off to search for thread on North Tipp Sprint:pac:

North Tipp Sprint is an excellent race. I did it the first year and entered (but never made it down) the next two years.

North Tipp Sprint is an excellent race. I did it the first year and entered (but never made it down) the next two years.

I like the idea of a pool based sprint tri for my first race before I get into the crazy world of open water swimming. Although my aim to not finish last puts me in an entirely different league than you Tunney:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

I'll put a vote in for my own home Tri, trilaois !

It will be around the 9th of April and is ideal for 1st timers who want to push forward for the rest of the season.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Nikki2510

I'm actually planning to do my first tri in athy next yr!!
    I've been running a bit since march and started swim lessons few months ago so it's bile next!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Tri Laois is a great starter race. Pool based swim and nice bike and run. North Tipp is also good and as its usually a NS race you get to see some of the really fast guys in action.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 302 ✭✭lway

Peeing yourself is an essential skill. Knock your nuts off for a 1:00 gain on the bike just to give up 2:00 from stopping to wee.

Is that what they are calling it these days, I guess shedding unnecessary bodily fluids does save weight :)

griffin100 wrote: »
    Tri Laois is a great starter race. Pool based swim and nice bike and run. North Tipp is also good and as its usually a NS race you get to see some of the really fast guys in action.

You'll also have me talking various amounts of crap on the mic:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

Firstly, races do sell out, but only the very popular ones.

- Valentia Sprint , usually sell in 2 blocks and gone in a few hours
    - Kilkee Hell of the West
    - Fingal Sprint Tri
    - Galway 70.3
    - couple others also

The larger capacity ones not so much - Athy, Athlone,

For a starter race, id say Fingal Sprint Tri, Nenagh Sprint or some other race early in the season.

That gives you time if you get the bug to enter some more races before season is over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭EC1000

Fazz wrote: »
    Firstly, races do sell out, but only the very popular ones.

- Valentia Sprint , usually sell in 2 blocks and gone in a few hours
    - Kilkee Hell of the West
    - Fingal Sprint Tri
    - Galway 70.3
    - couple others also

The larger capacity ones not so much - Athy, Athlone,

For a starter race, id say Fingal Sprint Tri, Nenagh Sprint or some other race early in the season.

That gives you time if you get the bug to enter some more races before season is over.

The national series races tend to have large numbers and most would sell out - the exceptions being the Athlone/Athy type races that can take huge numbers. These would also be of a fairly good standard from an organisational point of view. Other than that - stick to Tunney's advice re ART threads :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 TJAC

Hey Guys,

Fingal Sprint Tri is a great race to start out with. Its an established race run by 3dtri. Nenagh is a great race also.

I know www.piranhatri.com ran a 'New To Triathlon' programme this year and I believe they are doing the same again for 2012.

Any Triathlon Club is a good starting point for anybody new to the sport. Have fun and train safe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 170 ✭✭tinydave

I'll put a vote in for my own home Tri, trilaois !

It will be around the 9th of April and is ideal for 1st timers who want to push forward for the rest of the season.

You not racing in it next year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Hi, for your first triathlon is it okay to show up without a racing / triathlon bike? Just wondered if anyone does this, would like to try one but do not want to buy a new bike. Thanks!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,993 ✭✭✭griffin100

Hi, for your first triathlon is it okay to show up without a racing / triathlon bike? Just wondered if anyone does this, would like to try one but do not want to buy a new bike. Thanks!

You will see all sorts and shapes of bikes at triathlons. A mountain or hybrid bike will be fine as long its safe to ride - i.e. brakes working.

tinydave wrote: »
    You not racing in it next year ?

No Connamarathon is on the week before. BUT the wife is doing it.

Joey Hannon will be my 1st next yr, main focus is 1/2 Iron in July !

Kitty as said you'll every sort, with baskets and bells !

They are all fine, just slower !

As griffin says just make sure its in working order.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭KittyMittens

Thanks, its a city bike I think they are called, its in good working order, cycle to work every day, might take the basket off for the day though.....
    But good to know I wont be the only one with baskets and bells!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭crank_1975

I'm in, was entered in Tri Athlone for the last 2 years but was unable to race due to injury. Almost completed couch to 5K and have just got back in the pool over the last 2 weeks. I'll be looking at events around April to start.

crank_1975 wrote: »
    I'm in, was entered in Tri Athlone for the last 2 years but was unable to race due to injury. Almost completed couch to 5K and have just got back in the pool over the last 2 weeks. I'll be looking at events around April to start.

Tri Laois as i said is in April ( its one of the 1st of the year ) . its great for 1st timers and the course is handy enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Great idea with the thread OP

As an overweight onlooker for many years, i am doing my first Triathlon next year. Started running early in the year but took up bike and swimming in June, and have finally shed alot of the weight. I have decided to do the Dublin Marathon too so gonna be a busy year for me. Looking at maybe the TriAthy and TriAthlone, Athlone would be local so ill defo do that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The pool based one early in the year are good for new comers as long as you are honest about the time it takes you to swim 750m. nothing worse than being stuck in a lane with 11 others who are swimming much faster than you. The pool based ones also have the advantage of not needing to buy a wetsuit till you are sure you're going to enjoy/get addicted to it.

I did the Fingal Tri last year as amy first and thought it was really well organised. Looking forward to trying to beat last years time in 2012.

The tri a tri at athy was good too as the swim was all downstream, so if its your weakest of the three disciplines it still shouldn't take you too long.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Hey Folks,

I'm aiming at doing triathlon too in 2012, have done the last two Dublin Marathons so looking forward to new challenge.

Swimming will be my achilles heel but hopefully I can work hard at it. Meeting Piranha Club for training on Sat, great that they let you try out the sessions before joining.

Fingers crossed.

Great idea with the thread OP

As an overweight onlooker for many years, i am doing my first Triathlon next year. Started running early in the year but took up bike and swimming in June, and have finally shed alot of the weight. I have decided to do the Dublin Marathon too so gonna be a busy year for me. Looking at maybe the TriAthy and TriAthlone, Athlone would be local so ill defo do that.

Welcome aboard thehookster, we seem to be in a very similar place- I only took up the bike and swimming in August so working hard to get fit and fast enough not to embarrass myself in my first triathlon. I might do the DCM next year too if the body holds up. Exciting times ahead:)

Hey Folks,

I'm aiming at doing triathlon too in 2012, have done the last two Dublin Marathons so looking forward to new challenge.

Swimming will be my achilles heel but hopefully I can work hard at it. Meeting Piranha Club for training on Sat, great that they let you try out the sessions before joining.

Fingers crossed.

Swimming would be my weakest area too munsterbear- not that my running or cycling is that great either though:D. I recently finished 6 lessons which brought me on a lot. The best thing about joining a club for me is the stroke work in the pool which was an eye opener for me- really helped me see what Im doing wrong and how to fix it. In the other sessions like turbo and group cycles I'm pushing myself much more than I ever have in the past and starting to see the results already. It's also way more fun training with others than on your own.

Is Piranha Club in Limerick?

Hey Folks,

Fingers crossed.

Swimming would be my weakest area too munsterbear- not that my running or cycling is that great either though:D. I recently finished 6 lessons which brought me on a lot. The best thing about joining a club for me is the stroke work in the pool which was an eye opener for me- really helped me see what Im doing wrong and how to fix it. In the other sessions like turbo and group cycles I'm pushing myself much more than I ever have in the past and starting to see the results already. It's also way more fun training with others than on your own.

Is Piranha Club in Limerick?

Based in Dublin. Swim sessions are in westwood. Looking forward to tomorrow and seeing what happens, while being nervous I'm gonna be mimicking a floundering whale. Haha but positive thoughts.

Based in Dublin. Swim sessions are in westwood. Looking forward to tomorrow and seeing what happens, while being nervous I'm gonna be mimicking a floundering whale. Haha but positive thoughts.

I was sick with nerves before my first swim session. I nearly turned around in the car park and drove back home! But I told myself to cop on and went in. Delighted I did- they are well used to newbies and I bet you are better than you think. Best of luck.

• Advertisement

I was sick with nerves before my first swim session. I nearly turned around in the car park and drove back home! But I told myself to cop on and went in. Delighted I did- they are well used to newbies and I bet you are better than you think. Best of luck.

Cheers Bally8, I'll be back on and let you know how I got on. Before heading to Break for the Border for rugby and (lot's of) beer. Don't tell them that, haha

Cheers Bally8, I'll be back on and let you know how I got on. Before heading to Break for the Border for rugby and (lot's of) beer. Don't tell them that, haha

Had good session with Piranha. Lot of work needed on my swimming but sure no if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Signed up with Triathlon Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Count me in too :D

I signed up for the Athy Oly on the June weekend, an ambitious but achieveable goal I think. I could barely swim 25m when I started 6 weeks ago but I did 1400m in a session on Thursday evening in 50m reps. The rest periods between the reps is decreasing and I just started swimming lessons too so I'm confident that I'll be able to get there.

I have run 10km before but thats the furthest I've run and I don't own a bike but I reckon I have plenty of time in 6 months to build a base level of fitness in each discipline. I'm not looking to break any records, just get around the course, I can build on that then.

I did my first spin class yesterday in a bid to build leg strength for the bike. I can't run on the road for another couple of weeks as I'm recovering from a sprained soleus so I've been doing a long session on the elliptical trainer once a week too. Once I get more confident with my swimming and can start doing 200-400m reps I'll balance out the disciplines a bit more.

I'll join the Cork Tri club after Christmas too to get a few open water swims under my belt.

I'd be very interested in doing the Tipp or the Laois sprints do get my feet wet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Welcome aboard thehookster, we seem to be in a very similar place- I only took up the bike and swimming in August so working hard to get fit and fast enough not to embarrass myself in my first triathlon. I might do the DCM next year too if the body holds up. Exciting times ahead:)

Good woman Bally8, fair play, i didnt realise i would enjoy it all so much. I could barely run 3k last year, and now i can run cycle and swim. Cant wait to do triathlon and marathon

Had good session with Piranha. Lot of work needed on my swimming but sure no if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Signed up with Triathlon Ireland today.

Delighted it went well for you. Im sure the club swim sessions will bring you on heaps over the next few weeks and months.

I'll join the Cork Tri club after Christmas too to get a few open water swims under my belt.

I'd be very interested in doing the Tipp or the Laois sprints do get my feet wet! ;)

Welcome Scary_Man I'm starting to think that mayby Laois will be my first race instead of Nenagh. A guy at my club said its a great race for first timers. So I'm thinking of giving it a go and then maybe Nenagh soon after. Big plans...we will see how it all goes:D
    Good woman Bally8, fair play, i didnt realise i would enjoy it all so much. I could barely run 3k last year, and now i can run cycle and swim. Cant wait to do triathlon and marathon

Thats what I love about running and now this new adventure into triathlons- its amazing how quickly you come along and see great improvements.

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment? Is it a case of taking it easy enough until the new year and working on swimming/cycling technique or is anyone following a specific programme?

For the past few weeks since I joined the club my training week looks something like this:
    Monday -Circuit Training
    Tuesday - Turbo class
    Wednesday - Spinning or Run
    Thursday - Swim and Turbo
    Friday- Run
    Saturday - Group long cycle
    Sunday - Swim and run

Sometimes life gets in the way though or I get tired so take a day off but feel very guilty for it:D Im not sure if this is enough or too much training at this stage but I have been doing this for 7 weeks now and Im ok so I'll keep going with this plan until I find a proper plan or someone tells me what I should be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment?

Well I'm probably a little different as I'm training for a HIM in around 4 months so mine should look like:

Mon: Weights (Back/Biceps) + Run, Club Swim
    Tue: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/triceps), Turbo
    Wed: Long Run, Swim
    Thu: Weights (Back/Bicep), Turbo
    Fri: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps), Swim
    Sat: Long Cycle (100km/4 hrs)
    Sun: Cycle/Run brick.

It doesn't always happen like that as like yourself life sometimes gets in the way. Weekdays I'm in the gym at lunch and then either swim or turbo at night. Really enjoying the workload at the moment if that sounds anything like a normal thing to say.

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment?

Well I'm probably a little different as I'm training for a HIM in around 4 months so mine should look like:

Mon: Weights (Back/Biceps) + Run, Club Swim
    Tue: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/triceps), Turbo
    Wed: Long Run, Swim
    Thu: Weights (Back/Bicep), Turbo
    Fri: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps), Swim
    Sat: Long Cycle (100km/4 hrs)
    Sun: Cycle/Run brick.

It doesn't always happen like that as like yourself life sometimes gets in the way. Weekdays I'm in the gym at lunch and then either swim or turbo at night. Really enjoying the workload at the moment if that sounds anything like a normal thing to say.

Sure who wants to be normal. I'll be working on my routine this week. It's makes a world of difference when you plot your week out. You know exactly where you stand and gives you the commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I am in a fairly bad way long term with a knee injury and struggle to walk. I can however swim and cycle (as long as I'm careful). Is doing two legs of a triathlon possible? I'm swimming 1.7km 3 days a week at the moment. I cycle everywhere as that's my only way of getting around, but have never done any proper cycle training.
    How many events would allow me to do two legs with someone else doing the run? I would probably try to do a sprint first I suppose to see if I could manage it. How big a distance would there usually be in the transition from swim to bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

most tri's have relay options in them, not sure what way they work in relation to whether one person can do 2 disciplines or does it have to be 3 separate team members....tri laois, fingal or nenagh are great for beginners and athy is also great for an easy enough introduction to open water swimming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I signed up for the Athy Oly on the June weekend, an ambitious but achieveable goal I think. I could barely swim 25m when I started 6 weeks ago but I did 1400m in a session on Thursday evening in 50m reps. The rest periods between the reps is decreasing and I just started swimming lessons too so I'm confident that I'll be able to get there.

I have run 10km before but thats the furthest I've run and I don't own a bike but I reckon I have plenty of time in 6 months to build a base level of fitness in each discipline. I'm not looking to break any records, just get around the course, I can build on that then.

I did my first spin class yesterday in a bid to build leg strength for the bike. I can't run on the road for another couple of weeks as I'm recovering from a sprained soleus so I've been doing a long session on the elliptical trainer once a week too. Once I get more confident with my swimming and can start doing 200-400m reps I'll balance out the disciplines a bit more.

Where are you doing your swimming lessons? Im starting one to one lessons with a lady in Ballincollig on Monday

• Advertisement

oh and everyone startin out with tri's, just be aware that its seriously addictive :D

The 2012 Race Calendar went up on Triathlon Ireland today. Lots of races to choose from. I'm starting to think Tri laoise will be my first. Im also planning on doing the Limerick and Ennis Duathlons in Feb and March to hopefully learn some things about transition. North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

have my race calendar sorted for next year, 3-5 duathlons and 8 tri's...goin to be a busy boy

North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

Sorted- they had forgot to include it for some reason but have put it on the calendar now.

Now all I have to do is learn how to swim properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AllTheWay

Yea, we could do with the training tips help also. A couple of us are aiming to do the Millstreet MonsterMAC challenge in April, but we're taking baby steps and doing the BabyMAC level - just 20km in total (don't laugh!) We intend to start in January so it will be from couch to 20k in 16 weeks (which we're assured is no problem at all).

By the way, we're all mid to late forties (some of us very very late forties) in age with no previous experience!! We've been told BabyMAC is the shortest race (its an adventure race not a triathlon) and would be a good one to start with. Would like to do another two or three adventure races over the summer months - any suggestions? Runamuck for sure (running only I know but sounds fun), any others?

The 2012 Race Calendar went up on Triathlon Ireland today. Lots of races to choose from. I'm starting to think Tri laoise will be my first. Im also planning on doing the Limerick and Ennis Duathlons in Feb and March to hopefully learn some things about transition. North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

I should be on the mic in Laois, its my clubs race !

First few k's of the cycle are hard but after that its a doddle !!

AllTheWay wrote: »
    Yea, we could do with the training tips help also. A couple of us are aiming to do the Millstreet MonsterMAC challenge in April, but we're taking baby steps and doing the BabyMAC level - just 20km in total (don't laugh!) We intend to start in January so it will be from couch to 20k in 16 weeks (which we're assured is no problem at all).

By the way, we're all mid to late forties (some of us very very late forties) in age with no previous experience!! We've been told BabyMAC is the shortest race (its an adventure race not a triathlon) and would be a good one to start with. Would like to do another two or three adventure races over the summer months - any suggestions? Runamuck for sure (running only I know but sounds fun), any others?

The OH and I are planning to do the BabyMAC too. It will be our first adventure race as well and we are going to use the 400m kayak section as a practice for the 2k kayak (I think thats the distance) in the Connemara Adventure Challenge on 12th May. We really need a chance to practice the 2 person kayak - we did it once before on our honeymoon and it didnt go so well:D. We have our own kayaks now and vowed to never get in one together again but we will have to try find a way of doing it without fighting if we want to do adventure races together:D:D

I should be on the mic in Laois, its my clubs race !

First few k's of the cycle are hard but after that its a doddle !!

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it now. Except for my woeful swimming that is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it now. Except for my woeful swimming that is.
    Thats a good race. Lots of poolside support last year :) Its got a lovely buzz for your first tri. And noone is ever happy with their own swimming. As long as you can keep plugging away and get it done, thats all you need. Whatever you do, its a pb and an achievement.

I'll be at tri laois myself, nice tri to start off a long season

• Advertisement
Advertisement