Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Triathlon in 2012 Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

Bally8 wrote: »
    I was sick with nerves before my first swim session. I nearly turned around in the car park and drove back home! But I told myself to cop on and went in. Delighted I did- they are well used to newbies and I bet you are better than you think. Best of luck.

Cheers Bally8, I'll be back on and let you know how I got on. Before heading to Break for the Border for rugby and (lot's of) beer. Don't tell them that, haha

Had good session with Piranha. Lot of work needed on my swimming but sure no if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Signed up with Triathlon Ireland today.

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Count me in too :D

I signed up for the Athy Oly on the June weekend, an ambitious but achieveable goal I think. I could barely swim 25m when I started 6 weeks ago but I did 1400m in a session on Thursday evening in 50m reps. The rest periods between the reps is decreasing and I just started swimming lessons too so I'm confident that I'll be able to get there.

I have run 10km before but thats the furthest I've run and I don't own a bike but I reckon I have plenty of time in 6 months to build a base level of fitness in each discipline. I'm not looking to break any records, just get around the course, I can build on that then.

I did my first spin class yesterday in a bid to build leg strength for the bike. I can't run on the road for another couple of weeks as I'm recovering from a sprained soleus so I've been doing a long session on the elliptical trainer once a week too. Once I get more confident with my swimming and can start doing 200-400m reps I'll balance out the disciplines a bit more.

I'll join the Cork Tri club after Christmas too to get a few open water swims under my belt.

I'd be very interested in doing the Tipp or the Laois sprints do get my feet wet! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭thehookster

Welcome aboard thehookster, we seem to be in a very similar place- I only took up the bike and swimming in August so working hard to get fit and fast enough not to embarrass myself in my first triathlon. I might do the DCM next year too if the body holds up. Exciting times ahead:)

Good woman Bally8, fair play, i didnt realise i would enjoy it all so much. I could barely run 3k last year, and now i can run cycle and swim. Cant wait to do triathlon and marathon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Had good session with Piranha. Lot of work needed on my swimming but sure no if it was easy, everyone would be doing it. Signed up with Triathlon Ireland today.

Delighted it went well for you. Im sure the club swim sessions will bring you on heaps over the next few weeks and months.

I'll join the Cork Tri club after Christmas too to get a few open water swims under my belt.

I'd be very interested in doing the Tipp or the Laois sprints do get my feet wet! ;)

Welcome Scary_Man I'm starting to think that mayby Laois will be my first race instead of Nenagh. A guy at my club said its a great race for first timers. So I'm thinking of giving it a go and then maybe Nenagh soon after. Big plans...we will see how it all goes:D
    Good woman Bally8, fair play, i didnt realise i would enjoy it all so much. I could barely run 3k last year, and now i can run cycle and swim. Cant wait to do triathlon and marathon

Thats what I love about running and now this new adventure into triathlons- its amazing how quickly you come along and see great improvements.

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment? Is it a case of taking it easy enough until the new year and working on swimming/cycling technique or is anyone following a specific programme?

For the past few weeks since I joined the club my training week looks something like this:
    Monday -Circuit Training
    Tuesday - Turbo class
    Wednesday - Spinning or Run
    Thursday - Swim and Turbo
    Friday- Run
    Saturday - Group long cycle
    Sunday - Swim and run

Sometimes life gets in the way though or I get tired so take a day off but feel very guilty for it:D Im not sure if this is enough or too much training at this stage but I have been doing this for 7 weeks now and Im ok so I'll keep going with this plan until I find a proper plan or someone tells me what I should be doing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment?

Well I'm probably a little different as I'm training for a HIM in around 4 months so mine should look like:

Mon: Weights (Back/Biceps) + Run, Club Swim
    Tue: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/triceps), Turbo
    Wed: Long Run, Swim
    Thu: Weights (Back/Bicep), Turbo
    Fri: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps), Swim
    Sat: Long Cycle (100km/4 hrs)
    Sun: Cycle/Run brick.

It doesn't always happen like that as like yourself life sometimes gets in the way. Weekdays I'm in the gym at lunch and then either swim or turbo at night. Really enjoying the workload at the moment if that sounds anything like a normal thing to say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

So what kind of training is everyone doing at the moment?

Well I'm probably a little different as I'm training for a HIM in around 4 months so mine should look like:

Mon: Weights (Back/Biceps) + Run, Club Swim
    Tue: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/triceps), Turbo
    Wed: Long Run, Swim
    Thu: Weights (Back/Bicep), Turbo
    Fri: Weights (Chest/Shoulders/Triceps), Swim
    Sat: Long Cycle (100km/4 hrs)
    Sun: Cycle/Run brick.

It doesn't always happen like that as like yourself life sometimes gets in the way. Weekdays I'm in the gym at lunch and then either swim or turbo at night. Really enjoying the workload at the moment if that sounds anything like a normal thing to say.

Sure who wants to be normal. I'll be working on my routine this week. It's makes a world of difference when you plot your week out. You know exactly where you stand and gives you the commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

Hi. I was just wondering if anyone had any advice. I am in a fairly bad way long term with a knee injury and struggle to walk. I can however swim and cycle (as long as I'm careful). Is doing two legs of a triathlon possible? I'm swimming 1.7km 3 days a week at the moment. I cycle everywhere as that's my only way of getting around, but have never done any proper cycle training.
    How many events would allow me to do two legs with someone else doing the run? I would probably try to do a sprint first I suppose to see if I could manage it. How big a distance would there usually be in the transition from swim to bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

most tri's have relay options in them, not sure what way they work in relation to whether one person can do 2 disciplines or does it have to be 3 separate team members....tri laois, fingal or nenagh are great for beginners and athy is also great for an easy enough introduction to open water swimming

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭insinkerator

I signed up for the Athy Oly on the June weekend, an ambitious but achieveable goal I think. I could barely swim 25m when I started 6 weeks ago but I did 1400m in a session on Thursday evening in 50m reps. The rest periods between the reps is decreasing and I just started swimming lessons too so I'm confident that I'll be able to get there.

I have run 10km before but thats the furthest I've run and I don't own a bike but I reckon I have plenty of time in 6 months to build a base level of fitness in each discipline. I'm not looking to break any records, just get around the course, I can build on that then.

I did my first spin class yesterday in a bid to build leg strength for the bike. I can't run on the road for another couple of weeks as I'm recovering from a sprained soleus so I've been doing a long session on the elliptical trainer once a week too. Once I get more confident with my swimming and can start doing 200-400m reps I'll balance out the disciplines a bit more.

Where are you doing your swimming lessons? Im starting one to one lessons with a lady in Ballincollig on Monday

• Advertisement

oh and everyone startin out with tri's, just be aware that its seriously addictive :D

The 2012 Race Calendar went up on Triathlon Ireland today. Lots of races to choose from. I'm starting to think Tri laoise will be my first. Im also planning on doing the Limerick and Ennis Duathlons in Feb and March to hopefully learn some things about transition. North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

have my race calendar sorted for next year, 3-5 duathlons and 8 tri's...goin to be a busy boy

North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

Sorted- they had forgot to include it for some reason but have put it on the calendar now.

Now all I have to do is learn how to swim properly!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AllTheWay

Yea, we could do with the training tips help also. A couple of us are aiming to do the Millstreet MonsterMAC challenge in April, but we're taking baby steps and doing the BabyMAC level - just 20km in total (don't laugh!) We intend to start in January so it will be from couch to 20k in 16 weeks (which we're assured is no problem at all).

By the way, we're all mid to late forties (some of us very very late forties) in age with no previous experience!! We've been told BabyMAC is the shortest race (its an adventure race not a triathlon) and would be a good one to start with. Would like to do another two or three adventure races over the summer months - any suggestions? Runamuck for sure (running only I know but sounds fun), any others?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

The 2012 Race Calendar went up on Triathlon Ireland today. Lots of races to choose from. I'm starting to think Tri laoise will be my first. Im also planning on doing the Limerick and Ennis Duathlons in Feb and March to hopefully learn some things about transition. North Tipp Sprint isnt on the calendar yet for some reason. I know they are not part of the National Series this year but I hope the race goes ahead anyway. Would love to do a triathlon so close to home.

I should be on the mic in Laois, its my clubs race !

First few k's of the cycle are hard but after that its a doddle !!

AllTheWay wrote: »
    Yea, we could do with the training tips help also. A couple of us are aiming to do the Millstreet MonsterMAC challenge in April, but we're taking baby steps and doing the BabyMAC level - just 20km in total (don't laugh!) We intend to start in January so it will be from couch to 20k in 16 weeks (which we're assured is no problem at all).

By the way, we're all mid to late forties (some of us very very late forties) in age with no previous experience!! We've been told BabyMAC is the shortest race (its an adventure race not a triathlon) and would be a good one to start with. Would like to do another two or three adventure races over the summer months - any suggestions? Runamuck for sure (running only I know but sounds fun), any others?

The OH and I are planning to do the BabyMAC too. It will be our first adventure race as well and we are going to use the 400m kayak section as a practice for the 2k kayak (I think thats the distance) in the Connemara Adventure Challenge on 12th May. We really need a chance to practice the 2 person kayak - we did it once before on our honeymoon and it didnt go so well:D. We have our own kayaks now and vowed to never get in one together again but we will have to try find a way of doing it without fighting if we want to do adventure races together:D:D

I should be on the mic in Laois, its my clubs race !

First few k's of the cycle are hard but after that its a doddle !!

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it now. Except for my woeful swimming that is.

• Subscribers Posts: 19,425 ✭✭✭✭Oryx

Excellent, I'm looking forward to it now. Except for my woeful swimming that is.
    Thats a good race. Lots of poolside support last year :) Its got a lovely buzz for your first tri. And noone is ever happy with their own swimming. As long as you can keep plugging away and get it done, thats all you need. Whatever you do, its a pb and an achievement.

I'll be at tri laois myself, nice tri to start off a long season

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭cjt156

Would I be out of my mind to consider the Beast of the East and/or Dublin City in 2012?
    I'm currently running 5k 3 times a week, swimming 2k in a 45minute pool session once or twice a week but haven't straddled a saddle in anger in over a decade.

Its something I've had in the back of my mind for a while. I always thought running was my weak point & have been building it up with C25k.

cjt156 wrote: »
    Would I be out of my mind to consider the Beast of the East and/or Dublin City in 2012?
    I'm currently running 5k 3 times a week, swimming 2k in a 45minute pool session once or twice a week but haven't straddled a saddle in anger in over a decade.

Its something I've had in the back of my mind for a while. I always thought running was my weak point & have been building it up with C25k.

not at all...you have 9 months to work towards the DCT in August '12...if you keep up the work your doing then you'll be fine...work in a couple of sprint races before, say Athy and Athlone, to build race fitness and get you used to transition and you'll be in good shape for August

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 AllTheWay

You could consider Dingle, Killarney or Millstreet's MonsterMAC if you're down south. MonsterMAC has introduced a beginner level this year, aptly called BabyMAC, it's about 20km distance in total.

Not sure I agree that if a race isn't featured on Boards, forget about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

AllTheWay wrote: »
    You could consider Dingle, Killarney or Millstreet's MonsterMAC if you're down south. MonsterMAC has introduced a beginner level this year, aptly called BabyMAC, it's about 20km distance in total.

Not sure I agree that if a race isn't featured on Boards, forget about it.

There's a reason why certain races are not discussed on Boards..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

griffin100 wrote: »
    There's a reason why certain races are not discussed on Boards..........

Why might that be ?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Why might that be ?

One reason would be that some race are so poor they get a lot of criticism. Some race directors don't take it kindly when people criticise their races...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

One reason would be that some race are so poor they get a lot of criticism. Some race directors don't take it kindly when people criticise their races..

Some race directors don't like any discussion of their races unless the comments are 100% positive and fawning in their description of the race. I'd better not say anymore, don't want any more race directors tracking me down and ringing me with threats of legal action regarding my boards.ie posts :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭glennbhoy

Just joined tri ireland and piranha today, not looking forward to the early morning training but excited

have done a marathon, gaelforce, WAR, CLEC , mizen to malin cycle so time for something different

Goal is half ironman, just need to get the swimming in order

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

Where are you doing your swimming lessons? Im starting one to one lessons with a lady in Ballincollig on Monday

I'm up in Source Fitness in the Silversprings with Eilis Burns. It's going well at the moment, i'm lookng forward to starting private lessons with her in January.

How are your lessons going?

As an aside, I'm struggling with scheduling my training at the moment. After uploading a few workouts to garmin connect I can see that I'm doing all my training at Zone 3 and above.

Could anyone give me an idea what % of training should be made up of Zone 1 and zone 2 efforts?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,121 ✭✭✭Fazz

For me, Base 1 was about 90% z1&2

Base 2 a bit less, and now into second phase of base 2 and starting to increase intensity a bit.

There are different theories, but most accepted is start off easy to build base strength stamina and endurance, and then increase and add intensity as and when the body is ready.

When you say Garmin Connect, what's to say that is correct ?

Is that assuming the 220-age formula for max hr?

May be the case, but for me my hr thresholds and zones have changed a fair bit recently and become more accurate.
    Basic advice I could give you is:
    Run a 5k as fast as you can - avg hr would be z5
    Run a 10k as fast as you can - avg hr zone 4
    After that, it gets detailed but my zone 3 tempo pace would be near half mara pace.

Again it's all individual.

Accuracy can be got from lab and vo2 max tests, but going on feel and pace for distance seems to work best for me.

It's a moveable target also as you get fitter etc.

Advertisement