Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Triathlon in 2012 Thread

1235»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Daz1214 wrote: »
    if you're new to the sport then 2 in 7 days would be hard on the body alright...i generally leave at least 2 weeks
    between races for recovery
    Okey doke. Just wondered what conventional wisdom was :-)

Probably a bit over eager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭Daz1214

everyone is different but thats the norm among the triathletes i know...aim to get your first try-a-tri done and then you may want to move up to sprint distance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Fingal Sprint @ the NAC?

On in May and last year was very well run.

Actually, if you've joined 3D I don't think you are allowed to compete and are expected to marshall. C'est la vie!

No longer the case. We are encouraging our new to tri members to do the fingal tri. Guaranteed to be a lot of support if you don the club colours, and also a lot of help around if you've any questions on the day.

Think that's tipped it for me. First one will probably be Fingal :) (Extra few weeks to train too).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭BTH

Amz wrote: »
    Think that's tipped it for me. First one will probably be Fingal :) (Extra few weeks to train too).

http://www.3dtri.com/?q=node/2931

This is on the club website since last night. The club have selected three races (well run, beginner friendly races) that we are encouraging our new to tri members to take part in. We will have a coach or two and a few of the more senior club members at each of these races, there to help answer any questions you might have, help you setup transition if need be, and to calm any last minute nerves!! Basically to help you get through that first race or two and enjoy them. We're also arranging a cheerleading squad for these races.....

• Advertisement

Yeah, it was really the cheerleading squad that made my mind up for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 677 ✭✭✭The_Scary_Man

I sat down yesterday and made out a preliminary race schedule for the year. I decided to aim for;

Valentia Island Triathlon Sprint - 12 May
    TriAthy Olympic - June 2
    Tri The Burren Sprint - 14 July
    Hardman Olympic Tri - 25 Aug

I think that schedule is achievable and should keep my training focused over the year.

Next step is to join the Cork Tri club and start a training log...

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭actwithoutwords

I did 2.25k in the pool yesterday. Is this a waste of time given that I'm training for a sprint tri? I've been mostly swimming over the last year, so the temptation is to keep going longer. Should help general fitness and stamina anyway?
    How many sprints are recommended before trying an Olympic distance? Is it overly ambitious to do a sprint in Laois in April and then the OD in Athy in June?
    (Bear in mind I'm only doing the swimming and cycling)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

I did 2.25k in the pool yesterday. Is this a waste of time given that I'm training for a sprint tri? I've been mostly swimming over the last year, so the temptation is to keep going longer. Should help general fitness and stamina anyway?
    How many sprints are recommended before trying an Olympic distance? Is it overly ambitious to do a sprint in Laois in April and then the OD in Athy in June?
    (Bear in mind I'm only doing the swimming and cycling)

No the swimming is not a waste of time. To make it relevant for a sprint tri you could do a specific set of speed work within the set, like 8*50 hard off 1:30. Or 5*100 with the first 25m of each 100 all out. It will definitely help with general fitness and stamina. I find that when I'm regularly swimming my aeorbic system is solid. As such my legs will tend to fail me before my heart and lungs out on the road :rolleyes:

I did one sprint before my first Olympic and they were 3 or 4 weeks apart if I remember correctly. If your real goal is an Olympic, then train for an Olympic and use the sprint as a stepping stone.

All depends on the Olympic too. Laois sprint to Athy Olympic (which is flat) is very realistic. Athy sprint to Kilkee OTW would be a tougher task.

Some running would help for either or too...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 319 ✭✭munsterbear

So how is everyone doing? I'm enjoying the training with Piranha Tri, fantastic group of people. And they have a great New to Tri program.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,144 ✭✭✭Bally8

Well how is everyone's training going?

My first tri is next Saturday. My training has gone very well. I have learned to love the pool and my running times have improved no end. The bike is going well too so all seems good. However i keep getting niggly pains which force me into taking it easy and sometimes miss sessions when all I want to do is train :(

Really looking forward to the race but also terrified!!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

1st tri in TriLaois Saturday week.....anxiety building now.

Have been doing 2hr coached swim sessions 1/2 times a week since xmas. My only worry is it takes me too long to get going in the swim sessions....that and judging the pace.

Bike just ok, hills training has been minimal as well as sprint work, just keeping cadence in 90-100 in my 20km training sessions.

Run is grand on its own but after swim and bike?????? No brick training done....

Bike goes in for a service this week, spares ordered........

I think a little transition practice and thats the best I can do for the first Tri....

gorgo wrote: »
    My only worry is it takes me too long to get going in the swim sessions....that and judging the pace.

I'm the same, it takes me a good 10 lengths to warm up and feel half decent in the pool. I think I might do a warm up jog on the day of the race just before the swim, this might help maybe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭phkk

My first tri is next Saturday. My training has gone very well. I have learned to love the pool and my running times have improved no end. The bike is going well too so all seems good. However i keep getting niggly pains which force me into taking it easy and sometimes miss sessions when all I want to do is train :(

Really looking forward to the race but also terrified!![/Quote]
    Are you doing Nenagh? Me too... Get the feeling I haven't half the training done that's needed!!! Very apprehensive about it- very little running done. Swimming has improved but still poor! What kind of time would you hope to do swim in? Me, a good swim would be 22-25mins... I've only done one sprint tri and that was two years ago and feels like I'm doing my first again! Best of luck to all

phkk wrote: »
    Are you doing Nenagh? Me too... Get the feeling I haven't half the training done that's needed!!! Very apprehensive about it- very little running done. Swimming has improved but still poor! What kind of time would you hope to do swim in? Me, a good swim would be 22-25mins... I've only done one sprint tri and that was two years ago and feels like I'm doing my first again! Best of luck to all

Yip phkk its Nenagh I'm doing on Saturday. I'm hoping to do the swim in about 20 mins but I just dont know what might happen on the day. I'm very nervous about being in the lane with loads of people- what if I drown :eek:
    I think the fact I've been to a good few club swim sessions will stand to me a bit though as I'm used to a busy choppy lane.

The bike leg in Nenagh has no real hills, just one drag really going into Toomevara and then a little hill at the graveyard on the way back into town. The prevaling wind is where people might struggle- it usually blows like hell against you as you cycle back to Nenagh from Toome. I've done this cycle a few times (slowly) so am hoping to do this leg in 45ish mins

I have only driven the run route so cant say much about it only that it's very hilly. Think if I make it to the run in one piece I wont mind if I'm walking as long as I'm moving I wont mind :)

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭gorgo

Bally8 wrote: »
    I think the fact I've been to a good few club swim sessions will stand to me a bit though as I'm used to a busy choppy lane.

I'd say this will stand to you,
    However i keep getting niggly pains which force me into taking it easy and sometimes miss sessions when all I want to do is train :(

I seem to find that too. Do any of you find that when you jog the day before a swim session, when you put fins on during the session that your foot arch or calf cramps??? This is my fallback. Hapened both calfs one after the other!!
    I'm the same, it takes me a good 10 lengths to warm up and feel half decent in the pool. I think I might do a warm up jog on the day of the race just before the swim, this might help maybe.

Would a jog before help?? I find that during the start of a swim it takes time for my breathing to settle and get in the rythm!

Good luck in Nenagh!!

gorgo wrote: »

Would a jog before help?? I find that during the start of a swim it takes time for my breathing to settle and get in the rythm!

Good luck in Nenagh!!

Thanks gorgo. I dont know if the jog would help but maybe its better then nothing. I would love to be able to do a few lengths of the pool to warm up but I dont think that would be possible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,968 ✭✭✭griffin100

Thanks gorgo. I dont know if the jog would help but maybe its better then nothing. I would love to be able to do a few lengths of the pool to warm up but I dont think that would be possible.

You should have time to do a few lengths to warm up before your wave starts (what number wave are you in?). Doesn't really matter though, as it's your first race you'll be so hyper you'll end up loosing all technique and be all over the place..........or was that just me at my first tri :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

griffin100 wrote: »
    You should have time to do a few lengths to warm up before your wave starts (what number wave are you in?). Doesn't really matter though, as it's your first race you'll be so hyper you'll end up loosing all technique and be all over the place..........or was that just me at my first tri :)

I agree, my race only started when i got out of the water.

My wife is facing her 1st race in the coming weeks and the fight i had to get to wear a tri suit:D

My wife is facing her 1st race in the coming weeks and the fight i had to get to wear a tri suit:D

I feel her pain- tri suits are horrificly unforgiving to those of us carrying a few extra lbs :o
    griffin100 wrote: »

I'm in the second wave so not sure will I be able to do a few lengths before my wave. I thought I was going to be in the first wave so I'm freaking out a little worrying that I will be the slowest.
    phkk wrote: »
    Are you doing Nenagh? Me too...

What wave are you in phkk?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,197 ✭✭✭elvis jones

Bally8, i'm 16 stone..............nothing can make me look good apart from vast amounts of exercise and a healthy diet:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭couerdelion

The only warm-up I got in the pool based tri I did was to swim 50m to the other side to start.

Trisuits don't really look that good on anyone but I've never heard anyone saying things like "How can he wear a Trisuit when he's that fat?". It's just a tool like a bike or a pair of runners.

I'm in the second wave so not sure will I be able to do a few lengths before my wave. I thought I was going to be in the first wave so I'm freaking out a little worrying that I will be the slowest.

Normally in the first wave there's a big discrepancy in swim times. There's always one or two lanes that take ages to finish with a slow swimmer in each. If you're down for a different lane then usually the oranisers will allow you to get into your lane and warm up as these slow swimmers are coming to an end. If you are down for the lane that has the final swimmer(s) then you may get less time to warm up. I've never done a pool tri where I haven't had the time to do a 100m warm up.

Just popped back here to let those of you who dont read my log that my first triathlon went soooo well. It was brilliant and I cant wait for my next one.

I would advise people to take it easy and use it as a learning experience rather than going out and trying to beat everyone. At times I was so panicky it was crazy but by the run I eventually calmed down and realised this was supposed to be fun for me.

Best of luck to everyone else on here doing their first triathlon over the next few weeks and months. Let us know how you get on.

(Oh and yes I got plenty time to do some warm up laps before my swim started :))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Quick question re my first tri.

Can someone explain the idea behind letting some water down the front of the wet suit before the race?

Cheers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,830 ✭✭✭catweazle

nerraw1111 wrote: »

Can someone explain the idea behind letting some water down the front of the wet suit before the race?

Cheers.

:confused::confused::confused:

Don't know what that one is about, what I would do is go in early and adapt to the water. I often see people leaving it to the last second and then gasping for breath as they take off with the cold. Sometimes organizers panic and the horn can go off when you are not expecting it, I remember setting off in Kilkee last year thinking I am going to do well here as I still could see loads still running out to the start line.

Don't go up near the front if you are a poor swimmer, you will be mercilessly swam over

Its hard to do but try and stay away from the middle of the river when going upstream as the flow is strongest there but make a beeline for the middle on your way back

Good luck Nerraw I am expecting a quick debut from you ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Cheers.

It's meant to help it suck to your skin, help you find any air bubbles etc. You're meant to get it wet then 'refit' it. Not sure how you can do this before a race though...

Cheers.

If you mean weeing in your wetsuit it's to warm you up :)

Don't know why else you'd let cold water into your suit, unless it makes taking it off easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 346 ✭✭mickmc7

As far as I know you automatically let in a layer of water between your skin and the suit. This water will warm from your body heat. Or so I'm told. I used wetsuit for first time in athy last Sunday. By the time i had swam 50 metres or so up to the start line, the water had spread thru the suit. I didn't need to do anything, it took care of itself.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

Cheers people. Read it once and told it another time. I couldn't/can't figure out why you'd do such a thing. Understand the part about coming out.

Catweazle. Quick debut? Ha. This is me dipping my toe in the water and getting around. Rough target of around 2 hrs 30. could be widely optimistic. Swim is a huge unknown. That said, I've a flight to catch that evening so need to be on target else I'll have to bail out after bike to make it!

Advertisement