Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Broadband Wireless Modem

• 09-11-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭

I've had broadband from Irish Broadband for years, but having recently got cable TV from UPC I'm thinking of getting their broadband as well. Currently, Irish Broadband give me 2MB both ways for €36 a month. Because of my alarm system I can't switch the 'phone to UPC - that would have offered me a better deal. Anyway, the UPC broadband would cost me €25 a month for 20MB download but a slower upload. Two questions: firstly, is the UPC broadband any good? and secondly, can I use my current wireless modem? I've three computers around the house, one connected over a cat5 cable and the other two wireless. I know that my modem expects a normal network cable, while the outlet from the UPC box has what appears to be a small BNC-type connector. Can you get a cable to suit both ends? I know UPC provide a modem for €50, but we're OAPs and pennies count.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 105 ✭✭skinthegoat

Thanks Mark. That sounds pretty good. However, they only supply a modem with 25Mb/s and upwards, and I was looking at the cheapest 20Mb/s deal, so it looka as though I'll have to buy it. Any idea how long a cable you can put on it? I ask because UPC box is in one room and desktop PC (which doesn't have a wireless modem card) in another. The two laptops both have wireless, so no prob there. As regards the alarm, it's not an eircom one but simply dials four family and friends in the event of an activation. I understand that the alarm itself needs to detect dial tone in order to work, and that a UPC phone doesn't give this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

To your alarm system, the UPC phone line will be the same as a PSTN line. It's only when you have Phonewatch that the alarm doesn't work with UPC. Those can be switched over to a GSM dialer though.

Use an Ethernet cable from mode to PC for best performance. Wireless can and does vary. A good quality router can help, but is not a guarantee.

UPC will provide a modem free of charge, or you can pay for the combined modem/router. If you already have a router on the Irish Broadband connection then you can use this with the UPC modem.

Thanks for that, Jor El. Looks like I misread the UPC description - what's new?. I thought you had to pay for the modem with the 20MB deal, but a careful reading reveals that it's the wireless modem that doesn't come free. As you say, my old Belden one that I'm using on the Irish Broadband connection should be OK. Yes. I'll certainly wire in the desktop, though it'll be a cable run of about 20 metres. As regards the alarm, I was assured by the guy who installed it (unfortunaterly now emigrated) that a UPC will not supply a recognizable dial to it, but that's a problem for another day. Also, not sure whether the OAP line rental allowance applies to it. I'll go ahead with the broadband anyway, we've a new granddaughter in Minnesota and would like a reliable video link foir Skype. Appreciate the help and advice, don't know where I'd be without the great people here on Boards.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

As you say, my old Belden one that I'm using on the Irish Broadband connection should be OK.

If that's Breeze that you have (aerial on the roof) then that's just a router (not a modem). Any broadband router will work with the UPC supplied modem. You connect the output from the modem to the WAN input on the router, exactly as you've currently got Breeze set up. Everything should remain the same for you from there.
    As regards the alarm, I was assured by the guy who installed it (unfortunaterly now emigrated) that a UPC will not supply a recognizable dial to it, but that's a problem for another day.

Different alarms may vary, but my understanding of the ones that just dial a number in the event of an alarm, as opposed to those that are connected to a monitoring centre, is that they will work just fine. The UPC line appears just like a regular phone line to any phone equipment, unless your alarm system is trying to do something a little different. Not sure what that would even be.

Not sure about the line rental allowance thing. Since you get free line rental, may be as well just to keep that there for the alarm.

Yes, the signal from the roof goes directly into the router, and from there into my wireless modem which we use around the house. It, the wireless modem, also has a couple of wired outlets, one of which I connect by cable to the adjacent desktop PC. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭altor

As regards the alarm, I was assured by the guy who installed it (unfortunaterly now emigrated) that a UPC will not supply a recognizable dial to it, but that's a problem for another day.

If you have a voice dialer on the alarm system it will work with the UPC, if it sends texts then it wont.

Hmmmn, interesting. It's a voice dialer alright. Think I need to talk to someone who knows a bit about alarms. Thanks for the advice - it would be much better value if I could take advantage of one of the TV/Broadbanmd/Phone packages. Maybe I´ll get the alrm details and ask on another forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,737 ✭✭✭✭altor

Very easy to do yourself if the UPC point is close to a phone socket.

Advertisement