Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Possible to claim from old insurance policy

• 09-11-2011 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Hi, is it possible to make a claim of a previously held home insurance policy i.e. within 6 months of leaving that policy?
    Thanks, James.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,925 ✭✭✭Otis Driftwood

Am I correct in thinking you havnt had a policy with the insurer for six months and want to know if you can still claim?

If thats the case,not a hope in hell Im afraid and if you tried you would likely be laughed off the phone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,754 ✭✭✭oldyouth

It would be considered late notification. Within your policy document is a clause that states you are required to notify insurers within 7/10/14 days on the discovery of an event that may give rise to a claim.

This is to ensure that your insurance company can investigate the incident while the damage is fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 corman007

Hi Otis no, say I need to claim from an old policy
    Eg I had a policy with company A then took out a new policy with company B can I still claim from A, the policy from A has lapsed and was not renewed

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,950 ✭✭✭Milk & Honey

corman007 wrote: »
    Hi Otis no, say I need to claim from an old policy
    Eg I had a policy with company A then took out a new policy with company B can I still claim from A, the policy from A has lapsed and was not renewed

I have heard of it. Where company A has not been in contact with company B to notify them that cover was discontinued I have heard of both companies having to pay a claim on a 50/50 basis.

I have heard of it. Where company A has not been in contact with company B to notify them that cover was discontinued I have heard of both companies having to pay a claim on a 50/50 basis.
    That's not correct. Household insurance is on a 'claims occuring' basis. That means that the policy that is in place the day the incident occurred is the only one that can be called upon for indemnity. The issue here is late notification.

Insurers do not contact eachother to notify that their policy has lapsed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 corman007

Hi guys sorry for the late reply. The issue related to a problem my parents had with the their roof - they originally contacted the company who told them to get a quote for the repair but parents tried to be genuine (silly i know) and get a local guy to take a look he said it was the flashing which he duly repaired and as it did not cost too much they did not proceed with a claim. Fast forward to now and the roof is leaking again but they have since purchased insurance from another company, they called the insurance company who sent an assessor out to look and he re-iterated the point of getting a quote for the damage so that is where its at now. Again sorry for the delay in replying.
    James.

The 1st Insurer was prepared to offer a claim settlement and advised on the procedure to bring it to conclusion. This wasn't done and now the leak has re-occurred due to defective workmanship. The original company will not handle the claim as a) the subsequent work was done without their agreement and has prejudiced their position and b) the new loss is down to a botch job and should rightly be directed back to the man who did it.

The new insurer have sent an adjuster who does not appear to have spotted that the loss was caused by defective workmanship. If he had, he would have discussed it with you then. You may be lucky and have them settle it for you.

Word of caution though, once you provide them with estimates, you will then be asked to complete a claim form which will contain questions that you must answer as part of a legal declaration. Questions such as 'when did you 1st become aware of.........' and 'has any remedial work been done to date.........'. Think hard before you answer them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 848 ✭✭✭ravima

If they did not tell the new company that they had notified a claim to the previous insurer, then the new insurer may cancel the policy from inception and refund the premium. They will then be in the situation, where they will probably be forced to go back to previous insurer for cover, may have to pay a penalty premium as they are coming as a 'declined risk' and find that they are not then covered for the damage as it occurred whilst the previous insurer was not on cover.

Advertisement