Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BF3 - Stuff I Want To Get Off My Chest

Options
  • 09-11-2011 7:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭

So I played BF2 for years and I'm really enjoying BF3 so far, but there's a few things that just strike me as so stupid that I want to punch the developers.

1 - The absolute worst. If the spawn point you have selected becomes invalid before/as you click deploy it defaults back to the deployment zone, which is invariably the furthest possible point from the action. This happens when I try to spawn on contested flags, people who die, and vehicles that get taken. It would be so easy to simply grey out the deploy button until you pick a new spot.
    2 - No private servers to practice aircraft on. This is retarded considering that even I as a BF2 vet needed quite a bit of practice to get back into helis. So I tried to join an empty multiplayer server only to discover that it has to be populated to let you do anything other than stand perfectly still. What was wrong with letting people run around and then resetting it once the game is ready to start?
    3 - The Q-menu has been made slow and clunky for no damn reason. If I try to spot a moving vehicle I actually have to lead the target because it takes half a second to actually become active. I can't count the number of times I've shot a single bullet at a tank because I was trying to spot it and the menu hadn't fully activated yet. No one uses the Q-comms any more because its so terrible.
    4 - In 26 hours of play I have died suddenly for no reason whatsoever five times. On one occasion I catapulted forward suddenly as though hit by a train and cracked against the wall to die instantly. "Bad Luck". This was possibly a physics glitch as I was hopping over a small barrier at the time. The other four times there's no possible explanation, I just instantly fell over dead due to "bad luck". None of these are related to leaving the map boundary. (I have also noticed that on a few occasions I've been reduced to 0HP without dying...could this be a weird glitch where it assigns death to the wrong player?)
    5 - Every now and then I'll get a glitch where vehicles think I have my finger jammed on the backwards button. If I hold down W it will cancel out and sit still. This doesn't go away until I restart the game, and doesn't affect me at all outside of vehicles.
    6 - The game has CTD about ten times for no apparent reason. Usually when flying jets it seems.

The first three are the ones I'd really condemn them for, because it's a bad decision rather than an accidental bug. I'm sure there's more but that's all that comes to mind now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 W_T_P_twister

I've had the exact same stuff happen to me it gets very frustrating at times to just randomly fall over dead.

what was wrong with being able to make a local server (like in bf2)where you could as you said practice jets/choppers.

something I'd add to that list would be the inability to bind keys , change graphics setting and audio settings out side of a game.which means you have to join a server and be a useless slot.(although you can mess with settings in campaign but you have to boot the campaign)
    A large portion of the game screams "rushed" and "unfinished" ie. jets and choppers seem like an after thought,they don't seem to fit a roll very well considering how easy they die to EVERYTHING . seems like it was rushed in an effort to release it at around same time as cod mw3
    rant over;

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

1 - The absolute worst. If the spawn point you have selected becomes invalid before/as you click deploy it defaults back to the deployment zone, which is invariably the furthest possible point from the action. This happens when I try to spawn on contested flags, people who die, and vehicles that get taken. It would be so easy to simply grey out the deploy button until you pick a new spot.

1. If you have autodeploy selected (which happens when you click deploy before the death timer is up then it auto deploys you, if you lose your chosen spawn point it still auto deploys you. If you dont want that. Dont click deploy til the timer is finished so auto deploy isnt on.

2. Its give or take. The could spawn you at the next closest spawn point or squad member but then you'll have people bitching they got spawned into a middle of a gunfight and spawnkilled. Spawing you at the deployment zone is the safest spawn possible and considering where you were just about to spawn into was lost to the enemy, safest could be better then fastest.

2 - No private servers to practice aircraft on. This is retarded considering that even I as a BF2 vet needed quite a bit of practice to get back into helis. So I tried to join an empty multiplayer server only to discover that it has to be populated to let you do anything other than stand perfectly still. What was wrong with letting people run around and then resetting it once the game is ready to start?

This is server side. I used a german server (its down atm) that allowed 1 player to play on his/her own and was caspian border 24/7 and a quick search will find you plenty of servers like that.

Hell the boards.ie server only need 2 people for it to start
    3 - The Q-menu has been made slow and clunky for no damn reason. If I try to spot a moving vehicle I actually have to lead the target because it takes half a second to actually become active. I can't count the number of times I've shot a single bullet at a tank because I was trying to spot it and the menu hadn't fully activated yet. No one uses the Q-comms any more because its so terrible.

not sure if I follow this? I've had little issue spotting, you need to be accurate I know meaning the vehicle actually has to be in your crosshairs for it to register but I havnt need to lead the target or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

I've found that hit detection with knifing seems a bit off too. Sometimes im right next to an enemy, try to knife him and nothing happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭B0X

Zillah wrote: »

Are you holding Q and bringing up or commo rose or just tapping it?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

I've found that hit detection with knifing seems a bit off too. Sometimes im right next to an enemy, try to knife him and nothing happens.

I had that happen last night. Then he just turned me and shot me. :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,752 ✭✭✭pablomakaveli

Enderman wrote: »
    I had that happen last night. Then he just turned me and shot me. :(

Thats happened to me countless times now. They were occasions that in BFBC2 i know i would have been succesful but not in BF3. I think the knife killing animations are to blame as it seems that you need to be in certain positions relative to the opponent to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

1. If you have autodeploy selected (which happens when you click deploy before the death timer is up then it auto deploys you, if you lose your chosen spawn point it still auto deploys you. If you dont want that. Dont click deploy til the timer is finished so auto deploy isnt on.
    It's not just auto-deploy (which, tbh, I never even realised that feature existed) - my brother and I have been rather pissed at this 'feature'. I generally don't hit Return until the timer (hence, no awareness of an auto-deployment feature :pac:) has expired, so on those occasions where I go to hit Return just as my chosen squadmate (typically, my brother) dies, being thrown back to the US/RU Deployment drives us up the wall.

Unchecking the spawn point entirely (and, of course, indicating that a spawn point is not selected if there are people out there who, for one reason or another, may not cop that they haven't got a spawn point selected) would be so damn useful IMO
    I had that happen last night. Then he just turned me and shot me.
    Also happened to me just there - snuck up behind the guy, tapped F (unless you need to hold the key for a sec, that may be where I went wrong) and I end up just slashing at him. Tried again, slashed him in the face, and was rewarded with a faceful of lead for my efforts... :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

something I want to get off my chest too: BF3 is crap.

Massive fan of BF2, but solo in this was actually painfully bad! not a big fan of the multi either. shalln't be buying this game at all anyway!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭UsernameInUse

So I played BF2 for years and I'm really enjoying BF3 so far, but there's a few things that just strike me as so stupid that I want to punch the developers.

Just change your squad then. They don't call Battlefield a team game for no reason. If you die, followed by your squad - then your punishment for that is to start back at the beginning. On the other hand, the opposing teams reward for wiping out your squad is that they're given a couple of seconds breathing space to move up and push your whole team back. That is the whole point of the game.

Legitimate grievance.

I don't spot - I don't know how. I press the back button (XB) and nothing happens.

4 - In 26 hours of play I have died suddenly for no reason whatsoever five times. On one occasion I catapulted forward suddenly as though hit by a train and cracked against the wall to die instantly. "Bad Luck". This was possibly a physics glitch as I was hopping over a small barrier at the time. The other four times there's no possible explanation, I just instantly fell over dead due to "bad luck". None of these are related to leaving the map boundary. (I have also noticed that on a few occasions I've been reduced to 0HP without dying...could this be a weird glitch where it assigns death to the wrong player?)

Do you not get a warning sign when you're leaving the battlefield?
    Just run back to the fight and wait for the next part to open up. I also get bad luck endings. Once I jumped out of a car and the car did a three sixty by itself and ran me over.

5 - Every now and then I'll get a glitch where vehicles think I have my finger jammed on the backwards button. If I hold down W it will cancel out and sit still. This doesn't go away until I restart the game, and doesn't affect me at all outside of vehicles.

I can't tell you anything because I'm on console. Everything fine on this end.

The first three are the ones I'd really condemn them for, because it's a bad decision rather than an accidental bug. I'm sure there's more but that's all that comes to mind now.

See bold. ^^

Battlfield is not without it's problems. I also find it a pain in the arse that the respawn points can sometimes be a right nuisance. Also, with a sniper or two in the mountains on Damavand Peak, you'll be lucky to take two steps forward without getting taken out. The red laser as well as the flashlight on the ends of guns make me rage because I can't see shit captain (even team mates unintentionally blinding the rest of the squad).

All of these can be overlooked I find. For the sole reason that after all these years of COD, here is something new, unique and refreshing. I think it's a far better game than MW3. At least they actually put some effort into it.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    if you lose your chosen spawn point it still auto deploys you. If you dont want that. Dont click deploy til the timer is finished so auto deploy isnt on.

I wasn't even aware of an auto-deploy feature. The button is a count down, I never click it until I see the word deploy.

Here's how it plays out from my point of view.
    1 - Die.
    2 - Select spawn point.
    3 - After the count down, click deploy.
    4 - Spawn at the starting deployment zone.
    5 - Roll my eyes.
    B0X wrote: »
    Are you holding Q and bringing up or commo rose or just tapping it?

Whoops. That's changed since BF2.

Can anyone confirm they also experience the backward vehicle bug? Cos I spilled some tea on my keyboard recently, and it would be a really weird bug for that to cause...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

You forgot the green screen graphic glitches on the PC version.
    Flickering green as if you lose an entire frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭papajimsmooth

I love the game except the way i have to tacticool over every ****ing knee high wall

• Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Chavways

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZONUY8hyyY

A video I made.Seems to be happening more and more.Realy pisses me off.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

Jumpy wrote: »
    You forgot the green screen graphic glitches on the PC version.
    Flickering green as if you lose an entire frame.
    So, I'm not crazy then... I was wondering what the occasional green flicker I was seeing was, and had thought it was that my video settings were a tad high :P
    That is the whole point of the game.
    If that truly was the point of the game, then why would captured points (personally, I only play Conquest so I won't bring Rush/TDM into this :P) exist as spawn points if a squad wipe was intended to be punished with a long trek back from US/RU Deployment? The feature seems more like a punishment for not being able to react (in a split-second) and pull your finger away from hitting the Deploy button when your intended spawn point is no longer available. I would've expected the travel time involved between neighbouring points would give sufficient breathing room to the other team (except for some of the points on Grand Bazaar and Tehran Highway, perhaps a few others too).
    Have you tried hitting S (I assume that's your backwards key) - generally, when that sort of stuff happens to me, hitting the affected keybind typically solves it.

Chavways wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ZONUY8hyyY

A video I made.Seems to be happening more and more.Realy pisses me off.

uhmmm

you do knoe the knife insta kill only works from behind? If they are looking at you its only a normal attack and does 30hp damage or something

I swear the biggest problem with this game is simply its lack of information.
    I wasn't even aware of an auto-deploy feature. The button is a count down, I never click it until I see the word deploy.

Here's how it plays out from my point of view.
    1 - Die.
    2 - Select spawn point.
    3 - After the count down, click deploy.
    4 - Spawn at the starting deployment zone.
    5 - Roll my eyes.

and if it spawned you at the nearest point to where you clicked which is currently being mortered and you insta died (which can happen if you spawn on a squadmate just before the shell hits) you will be on here bitching about that.

its the lesser of two evils. Its not perfect but your suggestion is just as problematic if not more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,606 ✭✭✭Jumpy

BF3 changed the knife mechanics.

You must be directly behind the person, otherwise they just get scratched.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

I can do a server with planes on it if needed. You can start it with just one person as well. Shout if you want it and I can sort it tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Yes please! And make it ranked so we can all unlock stuff :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭Sisko

Same here.

My list:

-Inability to change views BF2/1942 style, being able to see behind you in a plane or chopper really made those dog fights etc much more interesting. Wtf is with removing things like this?

-Inability to make your own squad in-game that allows you to name it, invite people to it and voice chat to them. Battle log is not as terrible as people say but I would still like the squad system to be BF2 style again. It was better.

-Inability to chat to people after the game has ended. 30 seconds that could be filled with good banter and reflection on the game that just took place.

-Grenades. They are utterly terrible. They should remove the flashing red light, what the hell is this, left 4 dead? I mean the damn thing shows even if you are not looking at it, the red indicator can still be seen even if the nade is behind you. Its just incredibly dumbed down.

-Non voice chat communication is really weak. There's no "Hey I need a pick up" where your character will then flash yellow on the mini map thus the guy knows who actually needs a pick up. In proper BF games say your in a plane and you hear "enemy armour spotted" you check the map and you see the guy who said that flashing yellow, you know where the amour is. You can't always spot them, you might have seen it then it went behind the building etc.
    In BF3 you hear all these really cool radio chatter but you'll hear "enemy tank" etc and yet nothing will show on the map.. The commo rose seems largely useless. Does not touch BF2 standards anyway.

-The map is extremely bad, what the hell were they thinking here?

-I can't check my ping. It should show my ping and everyone else's ping beside their name when I press tab. Why the hell do they remove such standard stuff like this? Its extremely useful to see ping. FFS Dice?

-Still a few hitbox issues where you are getting shot at, you take cover. Then you die a second later. I see it happen on the other end too, I'll open fire at a guy, he'll run behind a wall out of sight. Then die. I had stopped hurting him when he died, he died out of my view. Its not as bad as it was in the beta but still happens.

-Lastly. What the hell is with the inability to change class/load out mid game like bf2/1942. When you get killed you just want to spawn back in asap. Then you realise you forgot to pick that class you wanted to be. In bf2? Pick the class anyway, you'll automatically become that class then next time you die and spawn. Why does Dice remove all this standard stuff - its nuts. Can't help but think its due to it being multiplatform.

Otherwise enjoying the game but look forward to more maps.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 3,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭ktulu123

Yes deffo please. I really wana get the hang of jets

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭TheFairy

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

my list

Vehicles being disabled but yet can still fire and drive.

Engineers fixing disabled tanks. I just dont get whats the point of disabling while his mates cover his back when fixing the tank, does that sound fair?

I probably can speak for alot of people here but the crashing (even thou mine has drastically improved) is a big annoyance

I believe the hit detection can improve alot. Tonight I was shooting a firing a load into the opposition but getting no where

I'm all for engineers repairing tanks on the go. They would get destroyed too quickly then. Takes great team work to keep a tank alive for ages.

being disabled (seriously poor choice of words) is not meant to mean they cant shoot (though they shouldnt be able to move much) but it does mean that unless they get repaired the tank will blow up. Hence its meant to expose engineers so your recon buddy can put a bullet in their head. its to balance off with the tanks having regenerating health for the first 50%

also if the engie does not repair them back to 100% they continue to lose hp even if they are repaired over 50%

Yeah I think the way vehicle combat works is actually pretty good.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,197 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

being disabled (seriously poor choice of words) is not meant to mean they cant shoot (though they shouldnt be able to move much) but it does mean that unless they get repaired the tank will blow up. Hence its meant to expose engineers so your recon buddy can put a bullet in their head. its to balance off with the tanks having regenerating health for the first 50%

also if the engie does not repair them back to 100% they continue to lose hp even if they are repaired over 50%

I think once the tank goes disabled it shouldnt be allowed to do any thing unless its 100% fixed, I think that's fair enough

It gets disabled almost instantly though. Where as in BF2 tanks have full fighting capability all the way down to 1% health.

The vehicle disabling feature seems extremely well thought out and I think its a very interesting gameplay mechanic. Sure the chances of me getting the actual kill is reduced a bit, but I think its worth it for having such a dynamic gameplay feature.

Headshot wrote: »
    I think once the tank goes disabled it shouldnt be allowed to do any thing unless its 100% fixed, I think that's fair enough

players would just abandon it and run away.

if this feature has done anything it has toned down the strength of tanks while still enforcing player defensive teamplay by sticking with their tank even when its close to death.

If I was to try reshaping it I might try and move it that only infantry disable or have it only occur from behind and then have it that only the mg gun on top works and not the main cannon. that way in tank v tank warfare the emphasize will be about flanking the enemy and with infantry disabling a tank will open it up to your tank killing it and only the anti infantry gun working.

while if its your tank disabled you can still easily defend yourself from infantry while being repaired.

Or go the company of heroes route and have it that disabling can be either the main cannon and not the engine if from the front or just the engine if from behind.

I like your idea about only having the 50.cal working when its disabled. It also baffles me how some people just leave the tank when its nearly blown up, I will always try to repair it. Another thing is when an enemy tank is left disabled and nearly destroyed and your own team keep shooting at it. I CAN TAKE THAT TANK!!!! :)

• Advertisement

If I was to try reshaping it I might try and move it that only infantry disable or have it only occur from behind and then have it that only the mg gun on top works and not the main cannon. that way in tank v tank warfare the emphasize will be about flanking the enemy and with infantry disabling a tank will open it up to your tank killing it and only the anti infantry gun working.

Or Arma style, shots to the tracks - between the turret and the body, and the back of the tank disable it. Where has shots to the heavily armoured areas don't do as much damage.

But tbh its fine the way it is. I have no problems destroying armour. Flank them, its that simple.

Advertisement