Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Taking cuttings off a laurel tree?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 8:02pm
    Site Banned Posts: 518 ✭✭✭

hi Folks,

the laurel tree is about 12 yrs old, 12 feet high and 10 feet wide. I know nothing about plants or gardening but want to plant a laurel hedge. Can cuttings be taken and will they grow?

Thanks a lot, eamon

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

Simply the answer is yes, get some rooting hormone from your local garden center, cut branches about 1.6 feet long (make cut at a 60 degree angle, this to increase the surface area of cutting) remove lower leaves. Have soil prepared by digging over and adding some compost. dip cut ends in rooting hormone and then put in ground, down about 4 inches, plant 6 inches apart. Or place cuttings in jar of water indoors, add small amount of liquid plant food, roots will start to form in about 3 weeks or so from what I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 missdock.1

I have a laurel hedge growing , I must take some cuttings for the crack to see what happens, good idea thx guys, Leanne in Ireland

Advertisement