Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Damp on wallpaper in corner of room

• 09-11-2011 8:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭

This is an odd one, i'm getting wet wallpaper at night in the corner of my sittingroom, the wooden floor is wet as well so it must be coming up from below the ground. The wallpaper is coming off but the walls are dry underneath. During the day it's dry and the wallpaper dries.
    I just can't work out where it's coming from, it was dry earlier today now it's wet again. I put on the heating when i came home today and i've noticed since i've done that it's gotten damp but i don't know if that's coincidence.
    On the other side of the wall(outside) is the gas meter. We changed our heating system years ago so now its pumped around the house from the attic and not underground.
    If anyone could help that would be great, thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,607 ✭✭✭Boooourns

Just to add the wallpaper is peeling away at the bottom corner of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 superchip

how old is the house

superchip wrote: »
    how old is the house

Around 25 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 superchip

your plumbing could consist of the old gun barrel pipes .if air gets into your system in rusts your pipes from inside out causing a leak under ground.next time its dry...turn on your heating and if it gets damp you have your answer

your plumbing could consist of the old gun barrel pipes .if air gets into your system in rusts your pipes from inside out causing a leak under ground.next time its dry...turn on your heating and if it gets damp you have your answer

Grand will do, if that's the case it sounds like it could cost a fair bit to repair?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

If the plumbing or heating is leaking it`s unlikely to differ with the system on or off. Check outside the property for a leak from guttering or similar.

DoneDL wrote: »
    If the plumbing or heating is leaking it`s unlikely to differ with the system on or off. Check outside the property for a leak from guttering or similar.

I had a prob with my gutter as one of the clips broke but i've fixed that, it hasn't rained this afternoon and the paper was dry but it's just gone wet this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 902 ✭✭✭DoneDL

Boooourns, I wouldn`t jump too quickly to any conclusion. have a good look at the wall and ground on the corner outside. A leak from plumbing does tend to be consistent. Make a note of when it`s wet.

DoneDL wrote: »
    Boooourns, I wouldn`t jump too quickly to any conclusion. have a good look at the wall and ground on the corner outside. A leak from plumbing does tend to be consistent. Make a note of when it`s wet.

Will do, i'll turn the heating on again in the morning when the paper is dry and see what happens.
    Thanks for your help folks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,875 ✭✭✭✭MugMugs

Gun Barrel on a 25 year old house ??

• Advertisement

Turned on the heating at 18.45 and switched it off at 20.15 there was no damp at all. It's now 21.15 and i can start to feel it on the wallpaper again. The couch is right up against the area as well, i had it pulled out to feel the spot when the heating was on and put it back when i turned it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭whizbang

it seems damp is only appearing after you have been in the house for a few hours.
    however, were the old heating pipes reused/replaced /removed or what?
    move the couch to another part of the room and check behind couch after a few days.
    open the meter box and check if theres any holes thro into the wall. if so seal off.
    My main suspect would be condensation on the gas pipe getting into wall.

whizbang wrote: »
    it seems damp is only appearing after you have been in the house for a few hours.
    however, were the old heating pipes reused/replaced /removed or what?
    move the couch to another part of the room and check behind couch after a few days.
    open the meter box and check if theres any holes thro into the wall. if so seal off.
    My main suspect would be condensation on the gas pipe getting into wall.

We had a leak underground years ago so instead of digging the up they were sealed off and new pipes were put inside the house that are pumped around the house from the pump in the attic.
    I'll move the couch out for a few days and i'll try the meter box, thanks for the reply.

Advertisement