Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine wi-max - Poor wifi coverage

Options
  • 09-11-2011 8:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32

Hi
    I was just wondering if other people have had a problem with their Inagine wimax wifi. I live in an apartment and we only have reliable coverage in the living room - which is where the imagine box is. In the bedrooms we sometimes get fast wifi - sometimes it's very slow - and a good bit of the time it doesnt work at all. I rang the customer support people to see if we could have it improved - they said it's probably the fact that the signal can't get through the doors and windows and there's nothing that can be done. my friend has UPC and she can use her wifi outside in her garden and anywhere in her house.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 48 vinnyirl

Having wireless broadband is a pain in the ass tbh. In my experience the router that is bundled into the wimax box you get is pure crap, and the cause of most speed problems. If you can get UPC use UPC as they are without doubt the best provider in Ireland for both speed and quaility.

To help you solve your problem though go to speedtest.net and run the speed test. Speedtest tells you exactly how fast your internet can run under prefect conditions. Once you have done this disable the wifi on your laptop (there should be a button or switch somewhere) connect your laptop to the wimax box with a network cable and go back to speedtest.net.

If you get a much better speed plugged in than on wifi then the wifi is the problem. To solving this can be a simple as changing the channel the wimax box is using (Google is your friend). There are 11 channels to choose from and most people will be using channels 5-7, if there are a lot of people around you all using the same channel it will make your connection really bad.

In my experience you will need to get quite a bit more detailed and buy a wireless router connect it to the wimax box and bridge the connection to the new wireless router (again Google is your friend (so is your local computer shop))

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

they said it's probably the fact that the signal can't get through the doors and windows and there's nothing that can be done. my friend has UPC and she can use her wifi outside in her garden and anywhere in her house.

Lots of things can effect a Wifi signal. The materials used in the building, interference from outside sources (other networks, baby monitors, cordless phones, etc), poor quality routers and receivers in computers, plus just about anything else you care to think of. There isn't really anything you can do about it, except change the Wireless channel that you transmit on (if possible). Move the modem is another thing you can do.

The operator can't and won't get involved in this, as there's nothing they can do. Changing to UPC or any other provider may not do anything. What works for one person has no baring on another's circumstances.

Advertisement