Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving The Tenters Dublin 8 for raising children, schools etc

Options
  • 09-11-2011 9:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9

Hi,
    Im looking to buy a house in The Tenters, Dublin 8. We have 4 children, 3 in primary and one in secondary, was wondering what its like to raise children there, what are the best schools, are there many families around there, We want to live closer to town, but also in a nice area, any opinions, or anyone live around there. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Lived her for all 21 years of my life, while my mam has lived here all her life aswell.

It's a grand area, years ago there used to be bother off the residents of the flats but the majority of the people have been cleared out of there.

As for raising children, the area used to be basically elderly people and families with teenagers that has changed, over the past couple of years alone I'd say there's about 8 - 10 new families moved into houses on my road of about 40 houses. The majority are youngest families, kids from about 0 - 12 years or thereabouts, and it seems to be a thread in the area in general.

There's 3 Primary Schools within 5 minute walk of the Tenters, St.Catherines on Donore Ave (where I went and would definitely recommend), Scoil Treasa Naofa and then Warrenmount Presentation School. Personnally I'd recommend St.Catherines, not just because I went their, but it only got done up a few years back and it is probably the most modern school you'll get in the area.
    More schools: http://www.schooldays.ie/primary-schools-in-ireland/primary-Dublin-8

For Secondary Schools there are a few St. Patricks Cathedral Grammar School (which is where I went and my brother goes, but is a fee paying school - it's mixed school), Synge St (which has won young scienist awards over the past couple of years - it's an all boys school) and Warrenmount Presentation (all girls).
    More schools: http://www.schooldays.ie/secondary-schools-in-ireland/Dublin-8

On the area itself, you're within walking distance of town, with the 150 bus going through the area. Cork St and Thomas St are within 10 min walks and have Lidls, Tesco Express, Butchers, etc... Plenty of shops within 5-10 mins of the area at Leonards Corner, etc... Nearest decent park would be Sundrive Park which is 10 min walk over the canal, it's also home to Lourdes Celtic FC if your kids are into playing football.

Any more questions fire ahead.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 christina22

Thanks that great, just a few more question please
    My son would be going into 5th year or he might do transition year, would that be a hard year to start school, was looking at St.Patricks Catheral, as i heard mixed reports about Synge St,but he big into gaa not sure do St. Patricks have a gaa team? or would there be a gaa team local he could join? i also heard it very hard to get you kids into St. Catherines, do you know would children playout in the area, sorry for asking so much questions just its a big decision and want to try find as much info as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Transition Year in St.Patricks is very well structured, aslong as he has a bit of determination he'll get a lot out of it, I know I did, it also lead me to know what I wanted to do in college now. Obviously cost is a matter to think about. I think they only have a Rugby team these days, is he looking to play Hurling or Football? My mates who play hurling from the area all have/do play for St.Kevins up in Dolphins Barn.

It's difficult enough to get kids into Catherines these days due to the large volume of "incoming" kids in the area. Worth a try.

Well I know on my road a lot of the kids would be out playing and kicking football, wouldn't generally be around the area much during the day though due to college/work but just even walking up to the shop the odd day you'd always see kids floating about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Personnally I'd recommend St.Catherines, not just because I went their,

I don't recommend this school.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 christina22

Thanks for all you help Gavin

Des why dont you like St.Catherines also do you know anything about the other primary school Scoil Treasa?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Des why dont you like St.Catherines

I was only slagging Gav's bad grammar :) He obviously didn't pay much attention in English class.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

I'm in favour of St Patricks Cathedral School - it's Church of Ireland in ethos and it's mixed. It is very small too, only about 140 kids in the whole school, so there's a lot of mixing between the years. Unfortunately as there's only about 25 kids in a year, ie 10-15 boys, there's not really enough for a sports team and so most kids join clubs outside school for sports. It does have a very well-known music department. It has a very active parent's association.

They also have a primary school there too - called the Choir School, iirc.

Advertisement