Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goat Fiasco?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭

Presuming they survive as a Soc for much longer, ever since the Goat fiasco they're on probation apparently.

Figured I'd spin this off rather than clutter the other thread. What's this about Ag soc having some sort of goat fiasco?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,289 ✭✭✭parker kent

UCD is investigating claims its students were involved in causing €1,600 worth of damage to trees in a southside suburb.

Allegations have emerged that a charity event involving the college's agricultural science society (AgSoc) at The Goat pub in Goatstown descended into booze-fuelled "mayhem".

On the same night, a number of sapling trees on the Goatstown Road were snapped in half.

Fianna Fail Councillor Gerry Horkan said a "whole lot of trees" were broken in the area.

Dun Laoghaire County Council's parks department said €1,600 worth of damage was done, he said.

"There was also a whole lot of shouting and roaring on the same night as the event," said Mr Horkan, who claimed the UCD societies' officer, Richard Butler, is investigating the complaints. Mr Butler could not be contacted by the Herald.

However, UCD student advisor Ros McFeely said it is not at all clear that the events as described "actually relate" to the fundraiser.

bottles

She said the rowdiness and damage to trees seem to have happened after the organisers of the event had left.

The initial report, which appeared in UCD's college newspaper The University Observer, said the event on September 28 last turned into "alcohol-induced mayhem", with an ambulance and the gardai called.

The paper said it received complaints that, between about 10.35pm and 3am, there was "shouting, swearing, urinating in public, breaking of glasses and bottles" and the "destruction of a number of trees on the Goatstown Road".

It quoted a representative of The Goat saying students who refused to leave as the bar closed broke a table and four chairs.

When contacted by the Herald, a manager at the venue said no one would be commenting.

Ms McFeely said "a girl fell and hit her head off a radiator and that is why the ambulance was called".

A garda spokesman said they had no report of an incident at The Goat on the night of September 28.

It is believed the AgSoc made a formal apology for their members' behaviour on the night.
    http://www.herald.ie/news/ucd-to-probe-claims-of-euro16k-tree-damage-2907258.html
    UCD’s Agricultural Science Society (AgSoc) held a fundraising event in the Goat Public House in Goatstown on the 28th September. The evening, the proceeds of which went to charity, turned into alcohol-induced mayhem with both the Gardaí and an ambulance being called at different stages of the evening.

Complaints were received by the University Observer from an anonymous source stating that “from approximately 10.30pm until at least 3am there was shouting, swearing, urinating in public, breaking of glasses and bottles, and the main reason I am contacting you, the destruction (by way of snapping in half) of a number of recently planted trees on the Goatstown Road”.

According to the source, it took many years of liaising with the local county councillors to have the trees planted, so it was met with “great regret” that a number of them had been destroyed. Auditor of AgSoc, John Douglas, refused to confirm that it had been AgSoc members who broke the trees, “I seen trees broken this morning but again, I didn’t see it going on […] I seen five or six trees broken”.

A representative from the Goat stated that the students stayed for an hour and a half after the bar closed, refusing to leave when asked to do so; additionally, “they broke tables and chairs – one table and five chairs”.

An ambulance was called to the Goat after a girl allegedly put her head through a window. Douglas was unsure as to exactly what happened; “not too sure, she was stitched up and whatever had to be done with her, cleaned up”.

Douglas stated that “we didn’t want anything to upset anyone, we just wanted to have a bit of fun; it’s for charity sure, we just wanted to raise money for charity, sure that’s what AgSoc have been doing for years, any nights they did was for charity”.

The source of the complaint, who is also a UCD alumnus, was “really appalled at the manner in which these students behaved and [the] picture that they have now portrayed of UCD Agricultural Science Students/UCD – I would expect a lot more from them”.

Student Union President Pat de Brún commented on the negative effect that the incident could have on events organised by other societies in future; “Obviously it’s hugely damaging to the reputation of students in UCD. It puts future society, Union and sports club events in danger in terms of what venues we can use”.

Douglas insists that, in order to prevent a similar situation arising again, he would “find out who’s causing the trouble, find out who the messers are – it’s not acceptable, we would e-mail the members, that behaviour won’t be allowed on any Ag nights, it’s not the Ag way”.

AgSoc have made a formal apology for their members’ behaviour on the night. The Goat will not be seeking compensation from AgSoc.
    http://www.universityobserver.ie/2011/10/04/agsoc-apologise-for-damage-at-goat-pub/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭smk89

Why is the goat not seeking compensation?

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭keepkeyyellow

My friend lives in an estate next to the Goat pub and she said she could hear the noise from her house..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Morons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Dunno about anyone else but i was expecting a far more interesting story with at least one live goat

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Chet T16 wrote: »
    Dunno about anyone else but i was expecting a far more interesting story with at least one live goat

No, just a bunch of kids.

You must have higher expectations of Ag Soc, you assumed The Goat was alive :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 655 ✭✭✭L

You must have higher expectations of Ag Soc, you assumed The Goat was alive :pac:

It seemed like a much better story before I discovered it was a bunch of drunken idiots wrecking up a pub. :P

The quotes in the Observer from the Ag Soc rep are funny. Actual newspapers would almost always edit quotes to make the speaker sound more intelligible (read quotes from Bertie Ahern or Alex Ferguson and compare them to their actual speaking style). I'm guessing they left them as is to make a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭Digits

Morons.

Why? You suspect that all of Ag soc members are morons?

I was there that night and didn't think the rowdyness was any different to a normal night out. It's just a few who decide to take it too far so its a bit unfair to brand all of Agsoc as 'morons'.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

Actually I just read it as him saying that the ****tards who went around wrecking the place for the hell of it were morons. Defensive much?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Digits wrote: »
    Why? You suspect that all of Ag soc members are morons?

I don't. Moron!

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

Thats the only reason i came into this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,847 ✭✭✭HavingCrack

Ag. Soc and goats.... have to admit I made it sound a lot more exciting that it really was :pac:.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,880 ✭✭✭Raphael

I don't. Moron!
    Watch it...

• Registered Users Posts: 763 ✭✭✭F-Stop

Raphael wrote: »
    Watch it...

No thanks. Goatse? Once bitten, twice shiiiiite!

Advertisement