Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

We Irish are a bunch of Gutless, Selfish Idiots.

1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭hiram

F.U.B.A.R wrote: »
    Good riddance :) if we have our own currency again then can we not control the value it ourselves and better the costs of living?

I agree, but of course, we are powerless to do anything. jusr look at the miserable crowd at the occupy Dame street fiasco. At the first snow, they will be gone. And before anyone says anything, Im heading from Galway on monday to join them for a couple of days to see if I can glean any inspiration:cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 440 ✭✭nicechick!

hiram wrote: »
    I agree, but of course, we are powerless to do anything. jusr look at the miserable crowd at the occupy Dame street fiasco. At the first snow, they will be gone. And before anyone says anything, Im heading from Galway on monday to join them for a couple of days to see if I can glean any inspiration:cool:

I made my way to Galway the other day and left unimpressed! lots of tents but no one occupying anything three people playing some music, I tired to interact as I am curious found the to be rude, uninformative more interested in playing music! Lots of signs/tents it lacked any atmosphere or people

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Padkir

We need some Icelandic spirit .........

Only at breaking point will we stand up for ourselves .

That point comes at different times for different people .

I can imagine the population will eventually stand up , but there wont be much of our money left at that stage

Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread, but WTF do you tink will happen if we "stand up". What outcome do you want?? Mistakes were made, by everyone, so just deal with your own and get on with it!

There's absolutely no benefit to rioting or mass protesting or whatever you're suggesting! None! We have no money as a country, and no amount of protesting will fix that, so just calm down and live your life, and be grateful for what you have!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Ah now, I don't think people should be told to be grateful either.

nice_very wrote: »
    I am not a gutless, selfish idiot.. you want to do something? get up off your arse and get out on the street and protest... look at greece, or would you you rather sit in the pub/on boards and rant without actually doing more than satisfying your own ideas, albeit changing nothing?

Yes...I'm looking at Greece, what's your point exactly? That they're in a nice rosy place now cos they got off their arses to protest...:rolleyes:

Dudess wrote: »
    Ah now, I don't think people should be told to be grateful either.

Some people have it tough, very tough, through no fault of their own, and I sympathise with them!

But to be honest, there are very few who are in no way to blame for their situation. Everyone has made mistakes!

We're a lot better off than we were 30 years ago, and we're still a lot better off than a lot of the world!

Also, on a different point, do people think the situation is so much better everywhere else! Bit of a grass is greener philosophy I reckon!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,638 ✭✭✭F.U.B.A.R

du Maurier wrote: »
    Ah, hold on a second there. I think you quoted the wrong person. I never mentioned anything about autism at all. I think because you were venting spleen on everyone here you got your posters confused. Fair enough. I wouldn't have attacked with regard to semantics, grammar, etc if you didn't put it out there to be disrespectful or condescending to my posts.

I believe you are mistaken actually i merely started with a joke about that one users post. It was you who decided to go the attack. Venting what on everybody.....? And I did not say you were the one talking about autism but that our conversation is along the same lines, pointless and irrelevant. Do you have a degree or bachelor in The Arts if so then yes feel free to criticize my grammar, semantics, spelling etc but as far as i can see Iam doing alright :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,342 ✭✭✭Bobby Baccala

I believe you are mistaken actually i merely started with a joke about that one users post. It was you who decided to go the attack. Venting what on everybody.....? And I did not say you were the one talking about autism but that our conversation is along the same lines, pointless and irrelevant. Do you have a degree or bachelor in The Arts if so then yes feel free to criticize my grammar, semantics, spelling etc but as far as i can see Iam doing alright :)
    Ohh the irony

Padkir wrote: »
    Some people have it tough, very tough, through no fault of their own, and I sympathise with them!

But to be honest, there are very few who are in no way to blame for their situation. Everyone has made mistakes!

We're a lot better off than we were 30 years ago, and we're still a lot better off than a lot of the world!

Also, on a different point, do people think the situation is so much better everywhere else! Bit of a grass is greener philosophy I reckon!

Poverty is relatively existing in Ireland. Sure people who claim they are poor have a roof over their heads and maybe a car and somewhat good health, but how long before its gone? How long before their living in a shanty town riddled with disease?

• Advertisement

P4DDY2K11 wrote: »
    Ohh the irony

whats the matter paddy? That's how i was thought also did the airsoft section get a bit boring for that intellectually empowered mind of yours ? :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Poverty is relatively existing in Ireland. Sure people who claim they are poor have a roof over their heads and maybe a car and somewhat good health, but how long before its gone? How long before their living in a shanty town riddled with disease?

Well, the flight to Calcutta takes about 9 hours, so allowing 2 hrs for check in, about 11 hours?

Well, the flight to Calcutta takes about 9 hours, so allowing 2 hrs for check in, about 11 hours?

very funny!:) but seriously there is people lagging behind on loans and mortgages and are moments away from living on the street and once your on the street people will just ignore you much like the people living in the shanty towns of Calcutta

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

There was a bunch of lads years ago who were very unhappy with the way their country was being run. Did they bend over and lube up like most Irish citizens are doing? Did they **** they popularised la guillotine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭al28283

There was a bunch of lads years ago who were very unhappy with the way their county was being run. Did they bend over and lube up like most Irish citizens are doing? Did they **** they popularised la guillotine.

Eh, that was in France. They don't even have counties there.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

very funny!:) but seriously there is people lagging behind on loans and mortgages and are moments away from living on the street and once your on the street people will just ignore you much like the people living in the shanty towns of Calcutta

Using emotive language such as 'shanty towns' is insulting to people who actually have to live in such conditions. To them, the lives of even the most seriously indebted of this country would seem a life of unimaginable wealth.

I suspect you've no idea of what real poverty is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭laoch na mona

no no we'r not

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

al28283 wrote: »
    Eh, that was in France. They don't even have counties there.
    Thank You - I have edited my post to remove any reference to counties or even Cedex.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Good riddance :) if we have our own currency again then can we not control the value it ourselves and better the costs of living?

We'd about 17/18% inflation during the early 80's.

People also seem to think we'd have control of our own currency. Bad and all as the Euro is, we'd be even more at the whims of the market.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

What the fcuk is wrong with us?? Those faceless morans heading the banks are refusing to pass down Interest Rates and what do we do? Nothing.

The height of it is a few "angry words" from some government ministers while the greed driven banking bastards give two fingers to us...the very people that own the banks. Have we lost all sense of moral and ethical guidance? Are we so afraid of our ****es that we instead adopt the usual "yes ser no ser" attitude and kep the heads down hoping the The Man will go away and leave us to our meaningless worthless lives.

This is Bull**** people. Who are these faceless bastards? I am so fcuking angry that I called my brother in law and my sister, who both work in a bank, and told them to basically fcuk off and never speak to me again. You have no Idea of the bubble they live in. They are both higher management and basically couldnt give a ****e if the country goes down the tubes as long as they get their damned bonus. Today we hear of a couple who commited suicide because they couldnt afford to live anymore. 2011, and they couldnt afford to live. We have become a bunch of guttless sheep, me included.

I dont know about you, but Im scared ****less for the future of our kids, and I hope I can muster the courage, for their sakes, to stand up for what I believe is morally right when the **** hits the fan.

If we all managed for one month to tell the banks to fcuk off and refuse to pay our mortages I wonder if it would even make a difference. Our childeren will look back at us in time and see us as the generation who did nothing for them. We are all about the here, the now, the Us, the me, the I, and fcuk the future. Shame on us.:mad:

tl, dr, ughhhhh ...:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

K-9 wrote: »
    We'd about 17/18% inflation during the early 80's.

People also seem to think we'd have control of our own currency. Bad and all as the Euro is, we'd be even more at the whims of the market.

What was it in the early 2000's? Around 6% or so and the government lowered taxes and increased spending by over 10% for years running. If only we'd had even more control eh? :D

Padkir wrote: »
    Sorry I don't have time to read the whole thread, but WTF do you tink will happen if we "stand up". What outcome do you want?? Mistakes were made, by everyone, so just deal with your own and get on with it!

There's absolutely no benefit to rioting or mass protesting or whatever you're suggesting! None! We have no money as a country, and no amount of protesting will fix that, so just calm down and live your life, and be grateful for what you have!

My point exactly. Thats the problem with us morans..be gratefull with what you have. What kind of a lame "sit down and shut up" attitude is that? Its time we started treating the Banks withe the same reverance as we did the Catholic Church in the fifties. Its this whole "be Gratefull" Bull**** that allowed people to walk all over us for hundreds of years. well I can tell you the younger Generation wont stand up for this crap, plus they will hate us for not doing anything to help secure their Future. At least they have the balls to tell us older folk to fcuk off if they think something aint right. We didnt have the balls to tell our "Masters" to fcuk off years ago, and I doubt any of us would have the balls to collectively tell the banks to fcuk off and fold. Instead of occupying the damn street, they and we should be occupying the Bank Head Offices!!:mad:
    if

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,171 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

OK cool, but to quote a Beatles lyric from a song called Revolution; "You say you got a real solution, well, you know we'd all love to see the plan" So we tell people to fcuk off, grand but what then? What's your plan, what's your solution, what's your plan for the future?

Basically without solutions to a fcuked up situation, you're just doomed to create a new barely different fcuked up situation.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Galtee

What the fcuk is wrong with us?? Those faceless morans heading the banks are refusing to pass down Interest Rates and what do we do? Nothing.

The height of it is a few "angry words" from some government ministers while the greed driven banking bastards give two fingers to us...the very people that own the banks. Have we lost all sense of moral and ethical guidance? Are we so afraid of our ****es that we instead adopt the usual "yes ser no ser" attitude and kep the heads down hoping the The Man will go away and leave us to our meaningless worthless lives.

This is Bull**** people. Who are these faceless bastards? I am so fcuking angry that I called my brother in law and my sister, who both work in a bank, and told them to basically fcuk off and never speak to me again. You have no Idea of the bubble they live in. They are both higher management and basically couldnt give a ****e if the country goes down the tubes as long as they get their damned bonus. Today we hear of a couple who commited suicide because they couldnt afford to live anymore. 2011, and they couldnt afford to live. We have become a bunch of guttless sheep, me included.

I dont know about you, but Im scared ****less for the future of our kids, and I hope I can muster the courage, for their sakes, to stand up for what I believe is morally right when the **** hits the fan.

If we all managed for one month to tell the banks to fcuk off and refuse to pay our mortages I wonder if it would even make a difference. Our childeren will look back at us in time and see us as the generation who did nothing for them. We are all about the here, the now, the Us, the me, the I, and fcuk the future. Shame on us.:mad:

This is how gutless we are, you rant about how gutless we are and 50+ people thank you for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭Fishooks12

Stupid rant of a thread

Yes lets all collectively refuse to pay our debts and get ****ed out of the euro, then you'll see what depression really is

The banks have ****ed us over no doubt and I think the Government should lean on them hard to get them to pass on the interest rate

Also the fact that you told your own brother and sister who are upper management that you never want to speak to them again just shows how unhinged you are

Do you realise it's a handful of board members that mad all the bad decisions?

And finally, if your so outraged about how were being ****ed over, why not actually do something about it rather than penning a bad rant on boards.

Sick of these threads, bankers and politicians ****ed us over, we should voice our content but ranting about not voicing this content on the internet does nothing!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,650 ✭✭✭sensibleken

AIB have backed down and are passing the reduction onto customers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1111/breaking3.html

Kenny and Gilmores threats seemed to have worked. nice one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Stupid rant of a thread

Yes lets all collectively refuse to pay our debts and get ****ed out of the euro, then you'll see what depression really is

The banks have ****ed us over no doubt and I think the Government should lean on them hard to get them to pass on the interest rate

Also the fact that you told your own brother and sister who are upper management that you never want to speak to them again just shows how unhinged you are

And finally, if your so outraged about how were being ****ed over, why not actually do something about it rather than penning a bad rant on boards.

Sick of these threads, bankers and politicians ****ed us over, we should voice our content but ranting about not voicing this content on the internet does nothing!

I agree with you, I know we have the occupy dame street protest atm but it doesn't seem to be that well organised as the wall street protest.personally I think we are a very compliant lot and don't vent our frustration ,protest say like the greeks did over the bad decisions made by their government recently. More to the point I don't think the majority of us are willing to do that , we prefer more conservative approaches like voting heavily in favour of the government who made bad decisions etc. Im too young to remember the 80s where there seemed to be street progress on a more regular basis. Im nearly 30 myself and it seems my generation were lucky to enjoy the good times that the celtic tiger brought with it, but we feel protests like this aren't going to make a difference. Thats my opinion on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭jackie1974

I wasn't having an argument to win, but a quick google search would bring up many cases of people faking autism.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/faking-autism-to-get-help-for-kids-according-to-claims-made-by-autism-spectrum-australia/story-e6freuy9-1226097806649

http://www.cantonrep.com/news/x645475200/Despicable-tale-of-deceit-lands-man-in-prison

http://gawker.com/Mark-Anthony-Richardson-II/

Just because you don't like the idea of people faking disabilities does not mean it doesn't happen, so be careful when becoming personally abusive.

People who do this take away from the people, like my nephew, who actually have autism, and my brother who has dyslexia.

I never in any of my posts dismissed autism or dyslexia as real, or that the people who have them suffer, I believe this has been misinterpreted through my posts, while referring to those who fake illnesses for attention and as can be read in some of the above articles, profit.

Now, this is the end of my part in this debate.

Ok the first link is a report on the misdiagnosis of Autism, the second on how a guy tried to profit from Autism and the third a sex crime, none of these links have anything to do with the context you said people use Autism as an excuse. You said

I can't stand the dyslexic excuse, just like the autistic excuse, we all have issues, we all have reasons why we can't spell when we rant. Mainly because it's a rant and revert to verbal diarrhoea, words just blahhh out of us when we rant and with it grammar/spelling go out the window.

You have a nephew with Autism, if you were in a shop and your nephew threw a strop, as children with Autism are inclined to do, you apologise to the other customers saying he has trouble controlling his temper as he has Autism and some of the customers scoff and say I can't stand the Autism excuse, it's just bad parenting. How would you feel ? Because that is exactly what you did to the OP.

And for the record I did not get personally abusive I merely told you how that kind of judgemental attitude will make you look foolish and ignorant and I stand by that. I'm not saying you are foolish or ignorant but just that that is how your off the cuff statements come across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Killer Pigeon

If everyone in the world was more selfish, the world would be a better place.

AIB have backed down and are passing the reduction onto customers.

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2011/1111/breaking3.html

Kenny and Gilmores threats seemed to have worked. nice one

Skank of Ireland and Ulster Skank are yet to lower theirs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

look its a well known fact that we sold our backbone to the celtic tiger. They can do anything to us now and we'll sit back and take it. We have lost any fight or any principles we ever had. Try putting your head up to protest or raise awareness about something and the sheeple are not long coming to knock you back into place. I think it will have to get back to 80's style living before the sheeple realise they are being fleeced and are not getting paid for the wool.

money has melted our brains

Fishooks12 wrote: »
    Stupid rant of a thread

there we go again, another "does nothing" rant...mmmm

look its a well known fact that we sold our backbone to the celtic tiger. They can do anything to us now and we'll sit back and take it. We have lost any fight or any principles we ever had. Try putting your head up to protest or raise awareness about something and the sheeple are not long coming to knock you back into place. I think it will have to get back to 80's style living before the sheeple realise they are being fleeced and are not getting paid for the wool.

money has melted our brains

We didn't sell our backbone to anything, the actual issue is that the austerity measures are affecting the children of the celtic tiger and the children of the celtic tiger never had any fight to begin with because they never had any reason to fight and the government know this all too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭Lord Trollington

I've have become so cynical in the soap opera that is the running of this country in that I wouldn't be surprised if this was all one big Fine Gael/Labour publicity stunt.

The banks names are already muck with everyone in Ireland. Such is our mentality and psyche that we're never going to march on streets or burn down an AIB or BOI.

So the banks and government put on a Punch and Judy show for us to deflect a little from the Euro crisis and the hand picked tow the line governments in Italy and Greece.

Whilst also the current government come out smelling of roses when all the banks mysteriously back down, starting with AIB. Really if the banks had any balls whatsoever they would make the government bring in the legislation.

Speaking of Rants, here is a laugh thats going to put a spanner in the works of the conspiracy theories. At the Occupy Dame street last night, I was talking to one of the "Protesters" who made a great statement that most of the Bankers were Freemasons, and this was Europes new world order.

I had to explain that, as regards world domination etc, I hadnt recieved such memo, and as a Freemason, I invited him around to Molesworth Street to meet his "Future Masters". Man you should have seen his face. He then made the point that we are really fcuked when even those who are purported to "Run the Country" are joining the protest!!:D

I've have become so cynical in the soap opera that is the running of this country in that I wouldn't be surprised if this was all one big Fine Gael/Labour publicity stunt.

The banks names are already muck with everyone in Ireland. Such is our mentality and psyche that we're never going to march on streets or burn down an AIB or BOI.

So the banks and government put on a Punch and Judy show for us to deflect a little from the Euro crisis and the hand picked tow the line governments in Italy and Greece.

Whilst also the current government come out smelling of roses when all the banks mysteriously back down, starting with AIB. Really if the banks had any balls whatsoever they would make the government bring in the legislation.

You've touched on something there that has always confused me. Everytime there's an issue like this and introduction of legislation can solve it easily, nothing ever comes of it and yet they can rush through legislation to take responsibility fom local authorities for refuse payments and pass it on to joe public in a matter of days, in fact if memory serves me correct at the time they even sat in the Dail over night to sort it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭fishy fishy

Galtee wrote: »
    We didn't sell our backbone to anything, the actual issue is that the austerity measures are affecting the children of the celtic tiger and the children of the celtic tiger never had any fight to begin with because they never had any reason to fight and the government know this all too well.

exactly, let the people smell a bit of money and all the fight will be knocked out of them. They will raise their kids to be wimps and to chastise anyone who disagrees with what is being done to them. They will lie down and take whatever is given out to them, because we can melt their principle with this "celtic tiger" myth. We'll show them lovely shiny things, let them buy it and then take it back from them when we have the fight knocked out of them.

We need to get these celtic tiger kids a backbone so instead of calling protesters "krusties" and "hippies". they can actually understand what is going on around them.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,269 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

Bullying AIB into cutting its rate was a dumb, populist move by the government. This is a state-owned bank, one that tax payers are propping up. Even emergency liquidity funding is only available to it at 3 per cent. The governments own borrowing costs are way higher. Giving standard variable rate mortgages at 3.25 per cent makes no sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭reprazant

Bullying AIB into cutting its rate was a dumb, populist move by the government. This is a state-owned bank, one that tax payers are propping up. Even emergency liquidity funding is only available to it at 3 per cent. The governments own borrowing costs are way higher. Giving standard variable rate mortgages at 3.25 per cent makes no sense.

Yeah but rabble rabble rabble, all banks are bastards.

When the ECB raised the rate, did AIB not pass this increase on to their customers? When they when the ECB lower this rate back to what it was, we have people ringing up their family in work abusing them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 186 ✭✭teaandtoast

Well the thing about many, if not most Irish people is that they don't use their head for whatever reason and another thing is that ignorace is bliss, a lot of Irish people don't want to know about reality, they let other people control their reality rather than stand up to the obvious unfairness which can be seen whether you want to know reality or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭marketty

RichieC wrote: »
    Oh ye make me sick.

Sorry, you're taking me up wrong, I'm not attacking guards nurses etc. my point was they are as guilty as the cashiers/middle management in the bank that the OP was attacking ie not at all guilty

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭WestIRL

There is nothing more annoying on the internet than a grammer nazi.

Yeah a grammer Nazi with grammer mistakes is even worse!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

one word complacency

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

I'm going to assume that it's intentional irony because there's not enough facepalm in the world if otherwise. So I'll just lock the thread and remind posters not to dig up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement