Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Benicassim 2012

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 biffbangpow

Really? I think the line up is great this year! Personally prefer it to last year's, Primal Scream were the only band I really cared about then. Hoping to go this year if I can get the funds and do it cheaper than '11 when I spent a ridiculous amount of money unnecessarily. Anyone having doubts about going, take it from me - a claustrophobic hygiene freak - it's bloody amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hctyler

Davexirl wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend any decent accommodation? Where did you all book?

There is a website called "airbnb" which is good for small parties or comfy accommodation in private houses or apartments.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Hey all,

Just posting up some info I shared through pm with someone a while ago, happy to throw it up here too if it helps anyone. This is my experience so I'm sure people will have other ideas and other ways of spending the week.

So here ya go...

Ok, so there was a group of four of us going to Beni,3 guys and a girl. I had read a bit about the camping at the festival, while I don't mind having a party and all that, I knew from talking to campers at the place that as soon as it got bright, the tents would heat up like a sauna, so that was out of the question for me as camping takes on a whole different life form when you're in weather conditions you're not used to. I can't comment on what the camping is like as a whole at Beni but I was talking to people that literally roasted (not nice when trying to get some sleep after going to bed at 7am and bracing yourself for a nasty hangover).

So based on this we decided to just go ahead and get an apartment (aircon is your friend!). We looked at a few places and we went through a company called orca services.btw you could probably bypass this middle man and google marina d'or accom themselves. We stayed in Marina D'or which is about ten minute drive from the town of Beni, we didn't feel the need to be near the town of Beni and looking back on it we didn't really need to go in there. We have a good bit of craic as a group so didn't really actually go out to any bars or anything in beni or in the town we were in, we drank in the apartment block and met a few people at the pool during the day so had a few cans with them before heading to the festival. None of us were out there to score so we had banter with whoever was around. Marina D'or seems to be a purpose built tourist town with loads of restaurants and shopping etc, but as I said we didn't really go to bars so can't comment on what bar life was like (think theres an irish bar that was meant to be good craic). There was a big supermarket near our block which was good for buying booze and food for breakfast/booze/snacks/booze/toiletries and booze .

So, the apartment was class, 2 bedroom for me and another fella, and a double for the couple, and a pull out couch that you could fit another 2 people if needed. good balcony for sitting out and a kitchen with everything. These looked like they were built only a couple of years ago and looked like we were the first ones to be in it, spotless. there was a pool for each block and that was a good place to talk to people. the apt cost 1000euro I think for the week.

We bought a bus ticket at the start of the week to get us to and back from the festival. This took about ten or fifteen mins to get there, they leave at 7, 9, and 11pm going there and leave at 1, 3, and 5am going back. They are always bang on time and you just need to keep your eye on your watch and decided what bus you want to go back on. This worked better than we though. We would normally head on the 9 or 11 and head back on the 5, or towards the end it was prob the 3am as 4 days of partying really has an effect on the system! be prepared for getting up at 4 or 5pm as your body clock really gets turned upside down due to the late gigs (most headline acts come on around 2am.

Good idea to fly into Barca. We rented a citroen c4 at the airport for 240euro for the week and drove to beni - took about 3 hours to drive down and it was all motorway. we were glad we did this as I have heard about getting the trains and its meant to be a pain in the arse. It also meant that having a car, you can leave whatever time you want on the last day and not lug your bags around for the day. however we really didn't need the car during the week so unless there was a way of dropping off the car and re-renting when it came to leaving that might save some cash.

Budget - when it comes to buying your ticket(200), getting your accom(250 pps), renting a car(60pps plus petrol 20pps) and bus ticket for event(40), you have to look at food and drink money - I would be looking at having 600euro min for the week (large beer in fest is fiver, double vodka and rb is tenner).

Can't think of much else. to conclude, I myself wouldn't be bothered staying in beni itself (festival is just outside the town) but in saying that, I didn't experience it so I can't say, it may have been a f**king amazing buzz! Remember dude, I was happy to spend that bit extra for the comforts so it will depend on your budget and what you can tolerate, I had an amazing time, and thats not even talking about the festival itself (yeah, it was class).

Let me know if you need more info or if i left anything out.

paddylonglegs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 hctyler

check through airbnb

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eim641

Just booked flights and tickets! But work wouldn't give me the monday off so I'm going to miss the Sunday (15th) :(
    I've been trying to figure out who I'm going to miss and have come up with the following

Not going to miss
    florence + the mchine = 12th
    Miles Kane = 13th
    Noel Gallagher = 13th (assuming this date because of Miles Kane)

Might be missing
    Stone Roses = NOT the 13th (playing at Optimus that night)
    New Order = NOT the 12th (playing Novi Sad that night)

Does anyone else know the days acts are playing?
    Or when it'll be announced - I need to prepare myself for the potential dissapointment!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

More acts been announced today.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Ham Sandwich have been added

• Registered Users Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Latest acts:

At the Drive-In.
    The Maccabees,
    Dave Clarke,
    Little Dragon,
    Bat for Lashes,
    Yuksek,
    SebastiAn,
    Delorentos,
    Lisa Hannigan,
    Arp Attack,
    Sons Phonetic
    Ham Sandwich

Some strong additions there. Exciting for Irish festivals too hopefully...

• Registered Users Posts: 458 ✭✭hacx

Considering getting a bunch of people to go, all in the 17-19 age range, for a post-LC holiday.We're all in Kerry, and here's what I've got so far.

So, 8 day camping tickets for the festival = something like €175.5.
    return plane tickets from kerry to Allicante = €230
    Train tickets from Alicante to Benicassim = €30
    Tents, other equipment = €40ish
    So, around €480 just to get there. Maybe add on one or two hundred spending money, and you've got yourself a holiday folks.

Options for flights/getting to beni
    Dublin to Valencia(€192) and then from valencia to Benicassim(€18) by train. That's not counting a day extra or two statying in spain + getting a train to/from dublin.

Cork to Barca (171), Barca to Beni(33). I'd prefer this one. But like, I assume it's 30 each way.

What's the story abut renting a car in spain? Any minimum age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I've been easily convinced to go to Beni instead of a generic 'lad's holiday'! Would we be best off buying a tent here or over there do ye reckon?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 me_at

Hey,
    I've heard people on about tickets selling out in previous years? Will they sell out this year? When should I buy them by? And could anyone tell me about the security on the camp? Is there lockers and sorts? Is it friendly? Would anyone recommend going in two's or would a group be a better idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭Taz1

First time Benicassim-goer, we've decided to camp but I'm slightly worried about the heat situation! I can deal with it once I know that I can get out it every so often (by chilling in an air-con'd building) - I'm also quite claustraphobic so I'm worried about the restrictiveness of a very hot tent! Booking an apartment (although I would have opted for this) isn't an option as its been decided that we're all camping. I'll definately be chugging the water as much as the alcohol but Will the heat be a serious killer?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Amcm1989

Hi, any tips on a good/cheap place to stay for the festival? Made a last minute decision to go to the festival! Any advice would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,634 ✭✭✭miller82

Taz1 wrote: »
    First time Benicassim-goer, we've decided to camp but I'm slightly worried about the heat situation! I can deal with it once I know that I can get out it every so often (by chilling in an air-con'd building) - I'm also quite claustraphobic so I'm worried about the restrictiveness of a very hot tent! Booking an apartment (although I would have opted for this) isn't an option as its been decided that we're all camping. I'll definately be chugging the water as much as the alcohol but Will the heat be a serious killer?

push for an apartment. between a big group it wont be that expensive and ya have yourself a bed, air-con and a pool, oh and a nice cold beer in your fridge. well worth it. Went twice and did that both times. camping turns it into an effort IMO. sweating your nuts off, warm beer, no sleep, losing stuff, stinking , stuff getting robbed etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 8,023 ✭✭✭youcancallmeal

Anyone got any recommendations some of the bands on the line up? Bit out of touch with the newest music. I like Florence, Maccabees, Crystal Castles etc.

Also I'm camping but mainly because we are planning arriving Lunchtime Thursday and leaving asap after final act Sunday so not much point getting an apartment for a week which seems to be minimum rental(Or 5 nights) for a lot of places. Heading down toward Alicante for a relaxing week to recover afterwards so money saved by camping will hopefully be worth it. I think best way to deal with the heat is just not drink as much and get a little battery powered fan for your tent :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10 rory_K

Just got my tickets in ticketmaster in cork....

Just in case people think you can only get em online.
    Cost €172 in total which is a nice saving since they're £155 online.

Can't wait! Altho 1 more good main act wouldn't go astray!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,407 ✭✭✭davywalsh7

is there many from ireland going to this?

i cant wait for it! stopping off in ibiza rocks for kasabian on the way over! roll on july 11th!

• Registered Users Posts: 613 ✭✭✭rodge68

Heading the 4th of July to Malaga flying home 21st from Barcelona, we are meeting up with 3 others so should be great craic, just imagine a music festival where it's nice and warm !!:p Not a great line-up though !!

Anyone know how to book accommodation, looking for cancellations if possible? Is there agents you can contact and they sort it out for you?

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭CFC007

Hi there I've a 5 night package incl airport transfer in a 4 star hotel if your interested from the wed-mon

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭Davexirl

Disaster for me and my friends, my friend who booked our apartments got an email saying they overbooked the apartments. I think they are in marina d'or, so they have giving us 2 options, pay nearly an extra €2000 for a half board apartment which to us is out of the question or option 2 move to a hotel thats 40 mins from festival at no extra cost, I cant believe they are only letting us know now, less than 2 weeks to go. They must have known for weeks that they overbooked, my mate is ringing tomorrow and is going to go mad. But what good is that now!!!!

Anyone else get an email?

If we had enough notice we could have got a refund and maybe got another apartment. Everywhere is more than likely booked by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Davexirl wrote: »
    Disaster for me and my friends, my friend who booked our apartments got an email saying they overbooked the apartments. I think they are in marina d'or, so they have giving us 2 options, pay nearly an extra €2000 for a half board apartment which to us is out of the question or option 2 move to a hotel thats 40 mins from festival at no extra cost, I cant believe they are only letting us know now, less than 2 weeks to go. They must have known for weeks that they overbooked, my mate is ringing tomorrow and is going to go mad. But what good is that now!!!!

Anyone else get an email?

If we had enough notice we could have got a refund and maybe got another apartment. Everywhere is more than likely booked by now.

Yo Seamy how are ya?

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

first time beni'er and cant wait.

It's going to be insane. My only problem thus far is that I have no idea how to get from El Prat Airport to Oropesa del Mar... The spanish train websites just don't make sense!

I have no problem heading into Sants train station in Barca but anyone have any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭Mac-Chops

Few of us expats heading from London on Tues morn. Flying in to Valencia then getting FIB bus from there straight to festival.

Got Villacamp in the hope for some tent shade 'coz did Sziget a couple of years ago and camping out in the open wasn't pleasant!

It's going to be insane. My only problem thus far is that I have no idea how to get from El Prat Airport to Oropesa del Mar... The spanish train websites just don't make sense!

I have no problem heading into Sants train station in Barca but anyone have any tips?

Have you tried the bus from airport to festival? There's shuttles then between there and Oropesa. http://fiberfib.com/en/useful-info/getting-here/

Otherwise if you open the RENFE (spanish trains) website in google chrome, you can get it translated reasonably well. Worked for me but decided to go with festival bus as less hassle.

Boards is usually a good indicator of the numbers of Irish so doesn't seem like many but no doubt we'll be there in force.. or maybe people are happy with the mud in phoenix park for Stone Roses and co.!!

Roll on Tuesday!!! :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭eim641

I robbed this from another website it has the stages and times.

You have times (in Excel with colours smile.png ) for download in this link: http://www.sendspace.com/file/52nrpe or here in PDF: http://howpopisnow.e...-Pop-Is-Now.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭simonrooneyzaga

Cheers for the tips mate, have a good one!
    Mac-Chops wrote: »
    Few of us expats heading from London on Tues morn. Flying in to Valencia then getting FIB bus from there straight to festival.

Got Villacamp in the hope for some tent shade 'coz did Sziget a couple of years ago and camping out in the open wasn't pleasant!

Have you tried the bus from airport to festival? There's shuttles then between there and Oropesa. http://fiberfib.com/en/useful-info/getting-here/

Otherwise if you open the RENFE (spanish trains) website in google chrome, you can get it translated reasonably well. Worked for me but decided to go with festival bus as less hassle.

Boards is usually a good indicator of the numbers of Irish so doesn't seem like many but no doubt we'll be there in force.. or maybe people are happy with the mud in phoenix park for Stone Roses and co.!!

Roll on Tuesday!!! :D:D:D

Very jealous lads, had a great time last year but couldn't manage it this year unfortunately.

Have a great blast!

Only got back on Sunday after holidaying for a week after the festival. I was quite happy with how it went overall, sleeping in tents wasn't as bad as I thought it would be and friends who were sleeping in apartments were quite jealous at the end of the night when I had a 5 min walk home. Slept till at least 10am most mornings and then hit the beach and slept for a few more hours after that.

Music was pretty good if not a little limited, gutted about Florence pulling out, probably the act I was most looking forward to. Thursday seemed to be a write off because everything got shuffled around and there was very little communication as to the changes. Luckily we had checked the internet earlier and saw it on the news that she had pulled out otherwise we would of ended up standing like idiots waiting for her to come on. Also Bat For Lashes didnt show up either and I hadnt heard about it before hand. Things got better after Thursday though and highlights were Noel Gallagher, Lisa Hannigan, New Order, Django Django, Ham Sandwich, Katy B, Ed Sheeran, David Guetta.

Crowd seemed to be about 90% English including some nasty 'boozed up brits abroad' elements, definitely the worst vibe for a festival I've seen outside of Ireland but manageable. Things seemed to get a bit worse towards the end of the festival. There was a lot of beer cup throwing in the crowds and every time you got hit you were praying the liquid was cold! Saw a couple of fights on the last night but nothing too serious.

Would i go back again? Probably not. I definitely enjoyed it but I feel like 'box ticked' and would like to look into other festivals next year.

So anyone else got any reports?

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

I really liked the curfews which meant bands come on about 3 hours later than they would at home. It allows people time to fully recover during the day before the big acts start and probably contributes to a more harmonious crowd. Its proximity to a beach also means that people don't spend all day bored in the camp site getting frustrated in the heat and can enjoy themselves nearby. I also thought the town itself was lovely. They had enough restaurants to handle the crowds and enough supermarkets too. The locals seemed very friendly and I'm sure they realise how important the festival is to their businesses. The festival staff were great too and very helpful.

The amount of British and Irish people there was a surprise. I found it a bit strange that the number of Spanish people there was low and also that there were seemingly very few other Europeans there. Is it like this at other festivals such as Rock Werchter, Pukkelpop, etc.?! I would be interested to hear how Benicassim compares to other festivals in general.

As for the music...the Irish acts did us proud. Delorentos and Ham Sandwich drew great crowds considering their early times and were generally more entertaining than many other bands I saw. Found Bob Dylan a bit boring but I was fully expecting that tbh! Stone Roses were my highlight. I also loved how they put DJ's on the stages after the main acts finished. They played some great music which spanned many genres and it was a nice touch.

Very enjoyable overall, but I would certainly look into getting an apartment in the town just for comfort! :D The facilities for charging phones were pretty poor on site as the plugs were constantly occupied. The alternative was €5 for an hours worth of a charge at the stalls which isn't a great alternative to be fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭legendal

Has anyone here camped at the festival for the whole week? If so....
      do the covers they seem to place over the tents (the ones seen on the photos on their
    Facebook page) help make the heat in the mornings bearable?
      are there clean shower facilities etc on site and are the queues long?
      is it easy to pick up
    good tents over there? (Save carrying one all the way over from here and racking up extra luggage charges in the process!)
      and just in general... is camping there for a week a good idea?

Would love to go next year. Sounds like it's Electric Picnic, but by the sea :D

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement