Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Foundation Maths

• 09-11-2011 10:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭

Folks, I have posted many times on this forum regarding my maths situation. I failed OL Maths back in 2007, in recent times it has come to light that. Well, I need at minimum basic FL maths say anything above C1 as a marker.

Is it possible to achieve this in my own time and get tested next year?

If so what book would people recommend? My plan would be to finish the book by say Jan/Feb and start on the papers till June.

I have a book I got last year on OL maths, just never finished the course as I was overwhelmed with work and another college course that was very heavy on binary maths and I was getting very confussed.

Should I just start studying the OL stuff ?

Any help or comments very much welcome on this.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 470 ✭✭angela1711

I think it is hard to study maths on your own... well i wouldn't be able
    And there is a totally new maths course so I don't think that a book from last year would be relevant at all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

Its not a totally new maths course, they just changed a few aspects. For this year I'm pretty sure its only stats and probability that are changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 777 ✭✭✭boogle

If you struggle with Maths then I wouldn't recommend studying it by yourself. If grinds or classes aren't an option, then you're going to have to be very motivated. The book we use is called "Core Mathematics" from the Celtic press. Be aware that the standard of question in that textbook goes a little beyond the level on the past papers.

If you're studying alone, set yourself up in front of a computer and search tutorial videos on youtube (there's thousands of them!) and search for the particular type of question you're doing e.g. "quadratic formula". It'll be easier to watch someone demonstrate how to do things.

June 2012 Paper 1 will be same as always - VERY predictable, so practise practise practise and you'll be grand. Paper 2 will have the new Project Maths content and will be difficult to predict. Look up www.projectmaths.ie and click on "Examination Papers" ro see official papers and samples for paper 2.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭msg11

So from what I gather, foundation maths has also changed.

The reason I am going to do it again is because I know I can pass it no problem if I put the effort in.

The reason for foundation level is I know it's a little easier than OL and it would have a better chance of gluing with me.

I'm pretty alright at studying on my own. It would be great if maths was chapter tested like continuous assessment, I done the CCNA that way chapter exam at the end of each chapter and it graded it up towards your final exam. I found it alot easier, it's something that the government should consider.

So Ill try hunt down this core maths book.

Anyone know how many points on each paper (1&2) ordinary level, I would have to get to get a C3-C1 or at worst a D3. If I studied and could do all the part a's and b's and some part c's.

Say a C2=150 Points over both papers..

Thanks.

• Advertisement

Just want peoples options on this.

The school I am using as a test center is a pilot school for project maths full syllabus.

So, I have to order either a foundation paper or a ordinary level paper old syllabus half project maths.

I'm unsure what to order, I know if I really try hard I can get passed the OL, the only problem I am seeing in my way is the time frame of trying to revise it all in 199days, then again I just have this one subject.

I know foundation is very achievable for me but just doing one subject and it been at foundation level am I been lazy and taking the easy option?

Which would serve better?

I remember from my time in school when I put the effort into my maths I could do it, it was just the fact I didn't basically give a **** about my work in school back then and it come back now to get me :D

Advertisement