Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cost of concreting front garden/drive?

Options
  • 09-11-2011 10:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭

i don't have the exact dimensions to hand, i'm just looking for a guestimate of whether this sounds reasonable or not?

we're looking to get our front driveway and grass concreted over at the front of the house, so we have room for two cars and although we kept getting told it would be 'cheap' to do as the price of concrete is very cheap at the moment by the guy we've just got a quote from, we've just heard back from him and he says it's going to cost around €2000 all in, inc. getting a skip and digger etc. to dig it all up and get it concreted.

180871.jpg

does this sound like a reasonable amount for this amount of work, or is he chancing his arm?

if there are alternatives that would work out cheaper and still last, i'm open to suggestions, i was just hoping it would be about half the cost we've been quoted. :(

thanks in advance for any help & advice and feel free to tell me i'm dreaming and just suck it up. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 45 Theprogardener

You are setting yourself up. The County Councils may make you remove it at your expense! Why? because more water entering the surface water drains. It would be best to put down setts as they laid on sand and do allow for drainage. would cost about €2,700.00 or so if you used tobermore tegula setts.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

I'm just wondering, how much does concreting cost per square metre?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

Lemlin wrote: »

it very much depends on the quantity and the requirement: eg traffic
    pedestrian /cars/lorry?

Also are u talking supply and fit or just a load dumped in drive way?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Lemlin

Carlow52 wrote: »
    it very much depends on the quantity and the requirement: eg traffic
    pedestrian /cars/lorry?

Also are u talking supply and fit or just a load dumped in drive way?

Let's say supply and fit and for around a house where there will be cars and pedestrians. No lorries.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

OP,Estimate for you,taking the strip on the left as 4m x 1m x 0.150m(6")deep = 0.6m3 of concrete

Taking the main garden as 4m x 1m x 0.150m(6")deep = 1.8m3 of concrete

Total concrete = 2.4m3,rounded off to 3 m3(cubic Metres) = €210 at around €70 for 1 metre.

The concrete supplier may have a minimium charge for say 4m3.That would bring it to around €280.

If I were doing the job I would dig out the grass down to a foot(12") all around.I would then put in 6" of clause 804 all round.You will probably need around 6 or 7 ton.I would then hire a wacker plate(from any tool hire shop)to compact the clause 804.I would then put in my 6" of concrete.

Id say If you were doing it yourself you could probably do it all in for around €700/€800 inc.skip.

• Advertisement

Lemlin wrote: »

Depends on how many cubic metres(M3) you need.If you want say 1m3 delivered in a truck,you have to pay a minimum charge of say €210-€280 depending.

Typically a metre of concrete can cost around €65 - €75.It all depends on the strength,higher strength higher price.The strength is dictated by the amount of cement in the concrete .Mainly strengths go from 20N(newton) to 50N.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Id say If you were doing it yourself you could probably do it all in for around €700/€800 inc.skip.
    thanks for that.

so how much should it be to pay someone to do it do you think?

vibe666 wrote: »
    thanks for that.

so how much should it be to pay someone to do it do you think?

Id say around €1100/€1200 you would be more than generous.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kbfdirect

Hi Rhys,
    Can you please pm me as I need a quote for a concrete job around a house in Cork.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

kbfdirect wrote: »
    Hi Rhys,
    Can you please pm me as I need a quote for a concrete job around a house in Cork.
    This thread is 4 years old, best to start a new thread, thanks

• Advertisement
Advertisement