Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new gaming headset, suggestions needed please.

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭

My old Fatal1ty headset seems to have bitten the dust on me tonight. It was a long and comfortable time together but due to frayed relationships we've had to go our separate ways. :pac:(connection at the in-line remote frayed and the mic went along with the left speaker.) Suppose that's what I get for falling asleep with them on so often.:o

I'm in the market for a new headset for both PC game playing and hooking it up to the TV for playing on my PS3 too. Most of my time will be using it for PC gaming, listening to music an the like.
    I'm looking for a headset that
    • has a mic, preferably detachable.
    • I'm open to wireless headsets. Dont know too much about them. Are they any use? Good sound quality, battery life? etc
    • Since my old ones aren't 5.1 surround sound I think I'd like a pair WITH surround sound, either 5.1 or 7.1.
    • I'll be using onboard sound on my PC so something that works well with that too would be desirable but adding a sound card isn't out of the question too.
    • Budget: I'll be looking to spend up to €100 or something around that region, since I will be using them a lot. (a birthday present to myself too)
    • PS3 compatibility would be nice too.

Anyone got any thoughts on this one? Saw it on Gamestop.ie. for €99. Haven't been in the market for a new headset for a while so I'm not really sure where/what to be looking for.

Hit me with your best lad(ie)s

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,158 ✭✭✭Arawn

Prepare to see a certain xbox moderator to do a massive write up for razor chimear's if he see's this thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Corkfeen

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭boiledeggs

I am actually on the lookout for a good x/box/ headset gonna get meself one for Christmas

• Registered Users Posts: 83,348 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Wireless ones are either console or PC, not both. Afaik.

Love them, but you wont find them.

And Im just about done with Logitech, their customer support is lethargic and I wasn't head over heels with some of the design decisions on the G930. The microphone elbow is basically engineered for disaster, the arm is made of resin and its a 2-piece composite, rather than opting for a single piece of metal which would have held up a lot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/PC-stereo-headset-skype-voip-noise-cancelling-headset_504121

These are a remake of the 205s, which are the younger brother of the 25s, which are one of the most popular DJ cans internationally for years. I have two sets of 205s and they sound great. They're almost as good as my Professional grade studio cans. Massive thumbs up.

Downside is, no surround, but TBH, 5.1 and 7.1 headsets are a bit of a joke IMO. I suppose in multiplayer FPSs getting a rough direction would help, but I've never had any issue performing with stereo.

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Downside is, no surround, but TBH, 5.1 and 7.1 headsets are a bit of a joke IMO.
    You sir have never played Left 4 Dead 2, which fully supports 7.1, or Space Marine exterminatus mode, which is much the same.

Basically any game in which you gain a tactical advantage by having three dimensional hearing, you want a surround sound headset in.

It makes last man standing on CSS so tense.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Big fan of L4D2, but never played it with 5.1.

Suppose I'm going to have to drop a few hints for chrimbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,687 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

there are workarounds but they are not the best.

I can use my wireless turtlebeach headset for both my pc and 360 but it requires that I have a wired 360 controller in my pc to connect the headset to so I can use the mic.

Which really defeats the purpose and I was only lucky that I already owned a wired 360 controller whih a lot of people dont.

Big fan of L4D2, but never played it with 5.1.

Suppose I'm going to have to drop a few hints for chrimbo.
    I've never played it with 5.1 either.

But 7.1 ... I'm just saying, I can shoot a smoker in the eyes without ever seeing him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

ive gone through 2 triton headsets, their ok for the money, just don't go too high end...

5.1 & decent mic ( with cable control ) is all you need, comfort is more important then ever also due to the stupidly big size of headsets these days...

my 2p.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭CptMackey

I'm actually looking for a headset too. Was looking at the turtle beach ones. They look good. Would help playing cod late at night( won't wake herself :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Just recently bought Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headset. Very happy with it so far

• Registered Users Posts: 580 ✭✭✭Tyrant^

Thinking about surround headphones me self.

Currently using Sennheiser PC350 which are still fairly expansive now a days even though they are stereo !

Anyone else previously own this headset and made the move to 5.1 or 7.1 ?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

Arawn wrote: »
    Prepare to see a certain xbox moderator to do a massive write up for razor chimear's if he see's this thread
    Ha. After you posted that link last night I almost fell in love with them. Very expensive for the 5.1 version of them though.
    Corkfeen wrote: »
    They do look nice. An LED on the mic?? wouldn't that get very distracting?

http://www.sennheiserusa.com/PC-stereo-headset-skype-voip-noise-cancelling-headset_504121

These are a remake of the 205s, which are the younger brother of the 25s, which are one of the most popular DJ cans internationally for years. I have two sets of 205s and they sound great. They're almost as good as my Professional grade studio cans. Massive thumbs up.

Downside is, no surround, but TBH, 5.1 and 7.1 headsets are a bit of a joke IMO. I suppose in multiplayer FPSs getting a rough direction would help, but I've never had any issue performing with stereo.
    I've been reading up on 5.1/7.1 headsets and it seems as though the sound can be quite tinnie from some headsets who dont do it right.
    Just recently bought Logitech G35 7.1 surround sound headset. Very happy with it so far
    Any niggles?

Thanks for the suggestions lads, keep em coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

Overheal wrote: »

I have the Turtle Beach PX-5s and they work on PS3, Xbox and PC.

I'd recommend them myself anyway, they can be pricey but I find them great. Haven't used them a whole lot, but they're comfortable, sturdy and have good soudn quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Morpork

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I have the Turtle Beach PX-5s and they work on PS3, Xbox and PC.

I'd recommend them myself anyway, they can be pricey but I find them great. Haven't used them a whole lot, but they're comfortable, sturdy and have good soudn quality.

Have the PX-5's myself. Quality piece of kit and imo well worth the money. It can also pair up to a bluetooth phone so you can take calls without having to interrupt your game which is pretty cool too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

And Im just about done with Logitech, their customer support is lethargic and I wasn't head over heels with some of the design decisions on the G930. The microphone elbow is basically engineered for disaster, the arm is made of resin and its a 2-piece composite, rather than opting for a single piece of metal which would have held up a lot better.

Nah they are rugged as fook, the mike is actually flexible and pretty good.
    I have a pair, nice sound quality only downside is when you plug em out to listen to the speakers you can't. Oh and the witcher 2 has no sound when you instally the logitech drivers (fine if you don't) so basically a great set if you have no intention of using speakers and don't mind flipping between drivers.

But they are a great design and very tough on another plus side they have a decent internal sound card.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I just ordered this Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless, it's only just released.

Pricey I know, but it has unparalleled features. It works with PC/Mac, Xbox 360 & PS3 and pretty much anything with a dolby digital output so that includes blu-ray players etc,. Unlike most other 5.1/7.1 headsets which take stereo input and upmix it, this headset takes dolby digital optical input for true surround. It's also wireless, but not the ****ty wireless with the hissing that you sometimes get on cheaper headsets.

As I will be using it for PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and blu-ray, it works out quiet well value wise compared to buying a separate headset for each. I should receive it in about a weeks time so will let you know how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭hal9000

currently using logitech G930 very happy with it (i like being able to make a cup of tea while still chatting on skype! :D )

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Laisurg

Check out thermaltake, their stuff is good quality and at good prices for what they are.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Anything Turtle Beach. I have the PX 21 and it's fantastic. It's light and easy on my ears (Compared to the Triton which was crushing my skull) has microphone feedback which is a god send.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

The official Sony ones work on PC as well.

Would have to import though - thinking of getting them Axel or Videogamesplus.ca for xmas.

EDIT: You actually don't need to import, the release for UK Ireland is now Nov 18th according to Amazon and Play.com

• Registered Users Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭Cravez

Any niggles?

No niggles so far, genuinely happy enough with them. Iv only had them a week though so can't saw a long term view just yet. Ill be playing Skyrim tomorrow so that will be the true test :D

sink wrote: »
    I just ordered this Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless, it's only just released.

Pricey I know, but it has unparalleled features. It works with PC/Mac, Xbox 360 & PS3 and pretty much anything with a dolby digital output so that includes blu-ray players etc,. Unlike most other 5.1/7.1 headsets which take stereo input and upmix it, this headset takes dolby digital optical input for true surround. It's also wireless, but not the ****ty wireless with the hissing that you sometimes get on cheaper headsets.

As I will be using it for PC, Xbox 360, PS3 and blu-ray, it works out quiet well value wise compared to buying a separate headset for each. I should receive it in about a weeks time so will let you know how I get on.
    They do look aweful nice. Maybe a little too expensive for me. I'm not sure I can justify the price tag.
    Laisurg wrote: »
    Check out thermaltake, their stuff is good quality and at good prices for what they are.
    Any suggestions/models?

Thanks for any of those suggestions. Gonna be gathering them up over the next week and then doing my research into them. I think I've ruled out the Tritton ones I linked to in the OP. Although the price is great the sound can be off at times and I've read about them not being too comfortable and can snap at the extensions with little pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

The Official PS3 ones above seem to meet your needs perfectly.

There is a thread about them in the PS3 forum.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Another recomendation for the logitech G35, best sound ive ever heard through a headset,only niggle i have is they are a tad heavy and could be more comfortable but in the middle of battle the amazing 7.1 sound more than makes up for it.
    Theres plenty more of similar quality and price range i believe.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭Bonesy.

Really sorry to intrude on this! but can anyone tell me where to get a good enough ps3 headset for 30 euros and under? Thanks

The Official PS3 ones above seem to meet your needs perfectly.

There is a thread about them in the PS3 forum.
    They're not wireless, are they? Think their only stereo too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,400 ✭✭✭✭noodler

They're not wireless, are they? Think their only stereo too.

Again they are wireless.

They also have simulated 7.1

They are out hear on the 18th - I put a pre-order in with Amazon.

Advertisement