Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new gaming headset, suggestions needed please.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,347 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Nah they are rugged as fook, the mike is actually flexible and pretty good.
    I have a pair, nice sound quality only downside is when you plug em out to listen to the speakers you can't. Oh and the witcher 2 has no sound when you instally the logitech drivers (fine if you don't) so basically a great set if you have no intention of using speakers and don't mind flipping between drivers.

But they are a great design and very tough on another plus side they have a decent internal sound card.
    I have the picture to prove it:

181025.jpg

that was off my webcam but if you look on your own pair, on the inside of the mic arm, you see where that inner piece of plastic meets up with the rubber? It happened right there. It's a weakpoint in the design, just because theres too much going on right there.

I didn't have the pair for more than 6 months, maybe I was just harsh on it, idk. I have a new pair now that I feel like I have to treat like a flower.

Not sure what your sound issue is. Windows jumps back and forth pretty well - Windows 7 anyway. Vista/XP definitely do not. With those you absolutely need to restart the program/game to switch sound devices for it. In Windows 7 you go down to the sound panel and just click the default over from your g930 to your speakers and for almost all things it switches over seamlessly. The logitech driver software does seem to crash a lot though but it's mostly only responsible for handling the 7.1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Bonesy. wrote: »
    Really sorry to intrude on this! but can anyone tell me where to get a good enough ps3 headset for 30 euros and under? Thanks

The Turtlebeach P11s are worth an extra fiver if you can stretch (free delivery), probably about as good as you'll do on that sort of budget.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Amplified-Stereo-Headset/dp/B004R9Q1IK/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1321014054&sr=8-3

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭shootermacg

Overheal wrote: »
    I have the picture to prove it:

181025.jpg

that was off my webcam but if you look on your own pair, on the inside of the mic arm, you see where that inner piece of plastic meets up with the rubber? It happened right there. It's a weakpoint in the design, just because theres too much going on right there.

I didn't have the pair for more than 6 months, maybe I was just harsh on it, idk. I have a new pair now that I feel like I have to treat like a flower.

Not sure what your sound issue is. Windows jumps back and forth pretty well - Windows 7 anyway. Vista/XP definitely do not. With those you absolutely need to restart the program/game to switch sound devices for it. In Windows 7 you go down to the sound panel and just click the default over from your g930 to your speakers and for almost all things it switches over seamlessly. The logitech driver software does seem to crash a lot though but it's mostly only responsible for handling the 7.1

Hmm I see what you mean, don't know mine seems fine, so I'd say you must have been giving em some tough love :)

When I switch the default device unfortunately no sound until a reboot, maybe it's just my machine and yes I have windows 7.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,614 ✭✭✭The Sparrow

They're not wireless, are they? Think their only stereo too.

Nope. Wireless and supposedly 7.1 surround sound and they work on a PC as well.

You should read the thread about them in the PS3 section.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

steelseries siberia v2 is a great set of headphone. go check it out. recommended :)

wireless headset imo is a waste of time and money if you are using it for gaming. too much troubles.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Ross_Mahon

My Fatal1ty's have also lost overall sound or maybe its my hearing! :D I noticed a lot of people using turtle beach headsets have some static when talking, And they claim it is because they are recharging the headset, is this true?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

• Registered Users Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

Gamestop have slashed the price of Triitton's on their website....the headsets are about 30-50 quid dearer in Argos or the Gamestop bricks and mortar shop!
    i have the 180's and find them really good but definitely getting the 720's at that price!

http://www.gamestop.ie/core/common/default.aspx?quickSearch=Tritton%20AX720

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

I'm looking at these ones lads. Turtle beach Ear Force Z6A. Sitting around the €100 on Amazon.
    51PkGi6HwDL._AA300_.jpg
    Anyone out there had any experience with them? They are wired but being wireless wasn't a dealbreaker for me. True 5.1 surround sound with some really good reviews on sound quality. They are USB powered while also using the 3.5 mm (surround sound) jacks which isn't too much of a problem really since the USB ports are beside the jacks on my computer. They can easily be removed from my computer with a quick disconnect cable (which I assume will allow me to plug it into my TV if needed). The only thing is that some of the reviews are saying that they can be a little tight on your head> might have to look into that more. Looking like a real contender.

Edit:
    There's a splitter cable in the box too which allows me to keep my 5.1 speaker system hooked up too. I was afraid that I might have to unplug the speaker system to free up the surround sound jacks for the headset. If I want to listen through the speakers I just turn them up and turn the speakers down and visa versa using the speakers.

Here's a 'propaganda' video about how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,216 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Kearney I have had a lot of different headsets including all the tritons and IMO only the tritton axpros are worth buying but even then build quality isn't great I would stay clear of tritons IMO!

Astro a40 headset is WAY OVERPRICED and Although sound is great is very expensive to replace parts with postage and parts break regular trust me..

Turtle beach x 41s are great IMO decent sound not overpriced, but the headset I have now is absolutely amazing sound quality although are very expensive turtle beach modern warfare 3 delta, they are 299 in gamestop but are by far the best quality headset I have ever had, very comfy 100% wireless no wire from controller to headset or Headset to console they are 7.1 Dolby surround sound..

Do not under any circumstance by tritons if they are all you can afford that's ok they are not too bad but if you can push the boat out look at the turtle beach deltas!!!!

Hope this helps

• Advertisement

Thanks for that Dark-Knight. Yeah, I'm almost certain that I'll be staying away from Tritton headsets. Some tinny sounds from some of the headsets out there as well as the build quality. I've heard of the headsets breaking at the point where they extenders are.

I'm really liking the sound of the ones I linked up there. I need to mull it over some more. See what's out there too. There's so many to chose from.

Just after ordering them there, the Turtle Beach Ear Force Z6A Headset from Amazon. Gonna be over in the UK till friday night so I'm getting them delivered to my (gf's) apartment and should be arriving on Thursday. Hopefully I'll be bringing them home with me. I've heard some great things about the Turtle Beach headsets and these seem to be getting great reviews for sound as well as comfort and fits my budget perfectly.

Thanks for the suggestions lads. Made me think a lot harder about what I actually wanted in a headset. I'll let you know how I get on with them, for those that are interested.

I'm looking for a cross platform wireless gaming headset with a mic that will work wirelessly on both PS3 and 360. Can anyone help me out? I'm not even sure if such a thing exists.

I have 2 consoles hooked up to my tv and was looking for a way to hear both consoles sound over the phones(whichever one was on at the time obviously) and be able to use the same mic for chat on either console.

I'd be willing to forego 5.1 sound if I needed to, to get good stereo sound from the output on my tv via RCA connections, transmitted wirelessly to the cans, but wires are not an option. The hardware and tv are all 8-10 feet away and trailing wires will be asking to be tripped over in my house, pulling hardware with them.

I also need the mic to work with both systems and be part of the headphones as I obviously don't have enough ears to use a Bluetooth headset at the same time as wearing gaming cans.

Anyone have any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,509 ✭✭✭NotorietyH

II also need the mic to work with both systems and be part of the headphones as I obviously don't have enough ears to use a Bluetooth headset at the same time as wearing gaming cans.

Anyone have any ideas?

I said if earlier in the thread I think, but I find the Turtle beach PX5s great and have used them with both PS3 and Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

I'm looking for a cross platform wireless gaming headset with a mic that will work wirelessly on both PS3 and 360. Can anyone help me out? I'm not even sure if such a thing exists.

I have 2 consoles hooked up to my tv and was looking for a way to hear both consoles sound over the phones(whichever one was on at the time obviously) and be able to use the same mic for chat on either console.

I'd be willing to forego 5.1 sound if I needed to, to get good stereo sound from the output on my tv via RCA connections, transmitted wirelessly to the cans, but wires are not an option. The hardware and tv are all 8-10 feet away and trailing wires will be asking to be tripped over in my house, pulling hardware with them.

I also need the mic to work with both systems and be part of the headphones as I obviously don't have enough ears to use a Bluetooth headset at the same time as wearing gaming cans.

Anyone have any ideas?

There are quiet a few options, depend on your budget.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/call-of-duty-headsets/mw3-ear-force-bravo.aspx
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/call-of-duty-headsets/mw3-ear-force-delta.aspx
    http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/xbox-gaming-headsets/ear-force-xp500.aspx
    http://en.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-tactic3d-omega-wireless/1-20714.aspx
    http://en.store.creative.com/sound-blaster/sound-blaster-recon3d-omega-wireless/1-20880.aspx
    http://www.logitech.com/en-roeu/speakers-audio/headphones/devices/7362

NotorietyH wrote: »
    I said if earlier in the thread I think, but I find the Turtle beach PX5s great and have used them with both PS3 and Xbox.
    After doing some research into that, the PX5 headset seems to be what he's looking for. You'd be looking at about €200 or so for them though which is steep. But if you are going to be using them a lot, and on both consoles then it might be worth the investment. I've heard of a microphone buzz (that other people can hear) and of poor battery times but I cant be certain if it was this headset or a similar model. Might be worth looking into some reviews to see what the story is with that.

Ordered my headphones at 11 last night and they shipped by 11 this morning. Quick dispatch. Cant. wait.

Many thanks for the advice. Those px5s look excellent. Pricey but really good.

I guess I know what to ask Santy for this year ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭KIERAN1

Many thanks for the advice. Those px5s look excellent. Pricey but really good.

I guess I know what to ask Santy for this year ;)

I only bought a new headset today and you don't need to spent lot of cash on this.

22 euro Turtle Beach XC1 earforce is works excellent.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,439 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

highly recommended...fantastic sound and definitely the most headphones I've ever worn.

KIERAN1 wrote: »
    I only bought a new headset today and you don't need to spent lot of cash on this.

22 euro Turtle Beach XC1 earforce is works excellent.

Actually I think i DO need to spend a lot of cash. I need a fully wireless, cross platform headset with a long battery life, and a dedicated transmitter that has RCA inputs. As far as I can see, the minimum I'll get away with is about 100 euros. Thanks for your suggestion but those cans are just not what I need.

I'd be interested in anything cheaper that fits the bill, but I can't see anything much less pricey that will do all the things I need. I also want to make sure im not getting poor quality or design by saving a few quid, given that I hope to be using them for a few years at least and would like them to be comfortable and decent enough quality.

• Advertisement

Has anybody had any experience of the turtle beach PX3 headset?

It's on amazon for £110 plus a fiver delivery to ROI, that's about 135 quid at the moment, with the euro exchange rate against sterling in the bin.

Link here

They would seem to do what i need exactly, both PS3 and 360, wireless, chat enabled, selectable by switch between the 2 consoles, etc. No surround sound, but to be honest i'm not that bothered about that, i don't have a surround sound system on my gaming setup, and decent 2 channel headphones would only be an improvement over my plasma's bog standard on board speakers, which is what i use currently.

EDIT: I just read the user guide, and I can Use my TV's 2.1 audio outputs to input the signal to the PX3 transmitter, which makes setting the game audio source much handier too.

Has anybody used them? What's your overall impression? I'm reading is that they're not as good as the PX5's but aside from that they are a quality set of cans that do exactly what it says on the tin.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Finally got around to using these and I have to say, I am delighted:

http://www.amazon.com/Sennheiser-PC-360-Headset-Gaming/dp/B003DA4D2U

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

I'm looking to get my young lad (11) a headset for Xmas which he can use for his xBox AND for playing Minecraft on the family PC. Will these Turtle Beach Ear Force XC1's work with both the xBox and PC??? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Force-Communicator-Headset/dp/B004TVO54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322174231&sr=8-1

Cheers,

Ben

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,307 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

BenEadir wrote: »
    Will these Turtle Beach Ear Force XC1's work with both the xBox and PC???

Cheers,

Ben

No.

I'm looking to get my young lad (11) a headset for Xmas which he can use for his xBox AND for playing Minecraft on the family PC. Will these Turtle Beach Ear Force XC1's work with both the xBox and PC??? http://www.amazon.co.uk/Turtle-Beach-Force-Communicator-Headset/dp/B004TVO54I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1322174231&sr=8-1

Cheers,

Ben
    As far as I know, they're just a chat mic for xbox live.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Cheers,

Ben

Get these instead a bit dearer but are a proper headset (independent game sound and chat) and will work with both PC and Xbox, nothing spectular but they are decent enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tritton-AX120-Gaming-headset-Xbox/dp/B004JSJSMK/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1322186842&sr=1-5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 Clooney George

I am currently looking for a good x / box / gonna get meself a helmet for Christmas

business gifts

marco_polo wrote: »
    Get these instead a bit dearer but are a proper headset (independent game sound and chat) and will work with both PC and Xbox, nothing spectular but they are decent enough.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Tritton-AX120-Gaming-headset-Xbox/dp/B004JSJSMK/ref=sr_1_5?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1322186842&sr=1-5

Thanks MP, they look like they'll fit the bill nicely.

Cheers,

Ben

marco_polo wrote: »

For completeness I'd appreciate a link to a wireless equivalent i.e. entry level wireless gaming headset which works with both the xBox and PC. From the research I've done myself it looks like wireless gaming headsets are €100 and more :eek:

Am I missing something? I expected a wireless headset to be twice the price of a wired one, not four times!!

Ben

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭Lister1

http://www.sennheiser.com/comm/icm_eng.nsf/root/502141

Best headphones I have ever owned. Expensive but I would have no qualms in buying them again.

Advertisement