Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I need a new gaming headset, suggestions needed please.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭jesus_thats_gre

Lister1 wrote: »
    http://www.sennheiser.com/comm/icm_eng.nsf/root/502141

Best headphones I have ever owned. Expensive but I would have no qualms in buying them again.
    Certainly the best gaming headset that i have owned - by a mile. Very good for music too.

Can't recommend enough.

BenEadir wrote: »
    For completeness I'd appreciate a link to a wireless equivalent i.e. entry level wireless gaming headset which works with both the xBox and PC. From the research I've done myself it looks like wireless gaming headsets are €100 and more :eek:

When you get into wireless AND cross platform, the price starts to creep up allright. There's not really any option out there south of €100 worth spending your money on.

I've just taken the plunge on a set of turtle beach PX3's. They were the most "affordable" set of cross platform wireless cans with decent specs and good reviews that i could find. They weren't cheap, the best price i could get on them was about £110 sterling off amazon UK, but they are ps3, 360, and PC compatible, which will save me a lot of hassle, and they got very good reviews from most people online.

They are only 2.1 sound, for 5.1 you would be looking at 180 to 200 euros, something like the turtle beach PX5's, but those cost a little more than i was willing to spend. Also the PX3's have a built in rechargeable battery with 10 hours battery life, which is nice. A lot of other wireless cans give you the hassle of swopping out rechargeable batteries etc every couple of days, or buying endless duracells. These just plug in and charge, and can be also used while charging if you need to.

Link HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭BenEadir

• Registered Users Posts: 3,923 ✭✭✭kearneybobs

They had them on sale in the Amazon black friday deals for something south of £30 if I remember correctly. Dont like Gioteck at all. I've found them to be terrible build quality.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Don't know anything about them sorry :)

The cheapest wireless set that I would probably trust are the Turtlebeach X31, but even they need a seperate wired adapter (2.5mm to 3.5mm jack) to enable PC chat.

I'd kind of be inclined to get a top quality wired headset for less rather than a meerly decent wireless set like the X31s (Not saying they are bad by any mean but say a really good €50 wired set would definately have a better sound quality).

• Advertisement

My turtle beach PX3's arrived today so I wanted to post some feedback on them. Overall I'm very pleased, they do the job really well, are pretty fully featured and easy to set up, are light enough to wear for a long session and the sound quality and range of built in presets are excellent straight out of the box.

Theyre easy enough to get going on both ps3 and 360 (a few more in depth instructions on features and operation would be good though, and a USB selector to allow simultaneous connection between 2 systems instead of manually switching the USB cable would have been nice, but these are minor niggles in what is an excellent 2.1 wireless multi-system headset.

If I was to criticise anything, and it would only be a minor criticism, I would have liked if the build quality was a little stronger. They aren't majorly weak, but they could be a bit tougher, a couple of drops or bangs and you'd be in danger of snapping something on them, so they will have to be looked after well. These are my first set of gaming cans though, and I have no real comparison for them so that might be totally normal across the various brands.

Either way I'm chuffed with them, they sound really excellent and are perfect for what i need. I would recommend them to anyone but the very roughest of owners.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭lewis

Has anyone bought the PS3 7.1 headset?

Apart from the build quality, I read that they sound VERU good.

So in order to keep the missus happy if these where worth the money, they seem to be a good buy...any feed back???

I`d also like to be able to use them in the bed while she`s honking it...she`s not fond of being woken up by multiple women moaning....:rolleyes:;)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

lewis wrote: »
    Has anyone bought the PS3 7.1 headset?

Apart from the build quality, I read that they sound VERU good.

So in order to keep the missus happy if these where worth the money, they seem to be a good buy...any feed back???

I`d also like to be able to use them in the bed while she`s honking it...she`s not fond of being woken up by multiple women moaning....:rolleyes:;)

Yes, buy them. Buy them now! Got my pair delivered today and they are quite excellent. Sound is crisp, clear and overall is fantastic tbh. In FPS games you can hear where the shots are coming from. The 7.1 is virtual surround sound and a few games and movies don't support it, but again, it works very well. They also fit nicely and are easy to wear (comfy). Had them on for the last 4/5 hours and I've no soreness around my ears, unlike the last pair of headphones I owned. Look the part as well, buttons are neatly hidden away but still easily accessible.

Only downside I can see is that when the mic boom is fully extended it feels slightly flimsy. But unless you plan to chuck them around then there shouldn't be an issue.

aaronh007 wrote: »
    Yes, buy them. Buy them now! Got my pair delivered today and they are quite excellent. Sound is crisp, clear and overall is fantastic tbh. In FPS games you can hear where the shots are coming from. The 7.1 is virtual surround sound and a few games and movies don't support it, but again, it works very well. They also fit nicely and are easy to wear (comfy). Had them on for the last 4/5 hours and I've no soreness around my ears, unlike the last pair of headphones I owned. Look the part as well, buttons are neatly hidden away but still easily accessible.

Only downside I can see is that when the mic boom is fully extended it feels slightly flimsy. But unless you plan to chuck them around then there shouldn't be an issue.

The big question is an you hear the missus shouting at ya?

Have you used them on a tv, how are they?

Do you still hear the missus moaning?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

aaronh007 wrote: »

Could you provide a link to the ones you bought, please

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

The big question is an you hear the missus shouting at ya?

Have you used them on a tv, how are they?

Do you still hear the missus moaning?

Couldn't hear much background noise if at all when playing earlier. Not used them for the tv as they are connected with a usb wireless connector in the PS3. Will try them later as my tv has a usb slot
    Crosáidí wrote: »
    Could you provide a link to the ones you bought, please

These are the exact ones I bought last Friday

http://www.game.co.uk/en/official-playstation-3-wireless-stereo-headset-154889?categoryIdentifier=21356

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Is the difference in sound between 5.1/7.1 to Stereo worth the extra €60 or so in general?

Im looking at the PX21's or the DPX21's?

Crosáidí wrote: »
    Is the difference in sound between 5.1/7.1 to Stereo worth the extra €60 or so in general?

Im looking at the PX21's or the DPX21's?

Or is the €60 able to keep out the missus shouting at me??

If it is I`ll pay €64:87....

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

More of a PC gaming headset but there are ways to get them to work with the XBox anyway: http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h-usb (there's also an XBox specific version).

Have had them for over a year and have been very happy with them. 7.1 surround, very good audio quality for the price and very comfortable for long gaming sessions.

nesf wrote: »
    More of a PC gaming headset but there are ways to get them to work with the XBox anyway: http://steelseries.com/products/audio/steelseries-7h-usb (there's also an XBox specific version).

Have had them for over a year and have been very happy with them. 7.1 surround, very good audio quality for the price and very comfortable for long gaming sessions.

Feck the Qbox...all around the 7.1 seem to be getting a fairly good review, I think I might go for them...anything to keep herself from yapping..

Feck the Qbox...all around the 7.1 seem to be getting a fairly good review, I think I might go for them...anything to keep herself from yapping..

Well my wife has better hearing than I do and she can put them on in a Skyrim game and identify exactly where the waterfall is without looking at the screen relative to the way the character is facing. They've improved the immersion factor in supporting games like Skyrim for me immensely. You feel surrounded by the environment. Like many good closed headphones there's a choice of material for the ear cushions, faux leather is less comfortable but gives you better sound isolation from the environment, fabric is more comfortable but has worse sound isolation. The leather ones would be excellent for LAN parties or similar.

Not much of an FPS player but a few that I know swear by surround sound headsets for games that support them.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭IgsTer

Im Looking into buying a new gaming headset myself mainly for battlefield 3. So far have narrowed it down to either the Corsair Vengeance 1500, the logitech G35's or Sennheiser 360

I only have an onboard sound card which is why i was leaning more towards one of the first two choices that have their own soundcards as from what ive read you need a good soundcard to get the most out of the sennheisers?

Just looking for any advice on what to go for

The Sennheiser PC 360 has some really good reviews. Haven't heard it myself but it's meant to be very good sound quality for a gaming headset. Pricey though. Seen one from an audiophile gamer who's willing to spend £300+ on headphones raving about it which is generally a good sign of a headset.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

G35 for me :D

Yeah as far as quality goes the sennheisers are probably the best outright but if i have to get a soundcard as well could be looking at over 200euro for the lot :( was hoping on spending no more than 100 maybe more if it was really worth it which is why i was maybe thinking on going with the sennheisers if i didnt need the card. I only got a new upgrade there before christmas I tought maybe the onboard sound isnt that bad since its relativily new. Motherboard i have HERE

Other than that the G35 would be the cheapest option not by much doh. Ive read alot of mixed stuff with it doh some people love their the G35 and others not so happy with it.

Is the G35 any good in battlefield 3 sean?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

IgsTer wrote: »
    Im Looking into buying a new gaming headset myself mainly for battlefield 3. So far have narrowed it down to either the Corsair Vengeance 1500, the logitech G35's or Sennheiser 360

I only have an onboard sound card which is why i was leaning more towards one of the first two choices that have their own soundcards as from what ive read you need a good soundcard to get the most out of the sennheisers?

Just looking for any advice on what to go for

G35`s are superb, one slight niggle would be they are pretty heavy thus taking getting use to but trust me you will not be diapointed with your purchase.totally transforms your gaming.
    You havent heard great sound until you have used the G35`s in my opinion.

Yeah as far as quality goes the sennheisers are probably the best outright but if i have to get a soundcard as well could be looking at over 200euro for the lot :( was hoping on spending no more than 100 maybe more if it was really worth it which is why i was maybe thinking on going with the sennheisers if i didnt need the card. I only got a new upgrade there before christmas I tought maybe the onboard sound isnt that bad since its relativily new. Motherboard i have HERE

Other than that the G35 would be the cheapest option not by much doh. Ive read alot of mixed stuff with it doh some people love their the G35 and others not so happy with it.

Is the G35 any good in battlefield 3 sean?

You only need a soundcard if you want virtual surround sound and this will be the same with any headset that doesn't come with a soundcard/USB soundcard. You could get a cheap little portable amp like the Fiio E5 or E6 (£20) to pump up the volume if you find you don't get enough from your on-board sound. You can't charge them while using them but they're good for 10 hours a charge so unless you like mammoth gaming sessions...

Edit: It was the PC350 that needed the amp and that was mostly likely because they were bundling it with a Xonar card.

Dcully wrote: »

Compared to? (curious, haven't seen any reviews from places I'd trust)

nesf wrote: »
    Compared to?

Anything else ive used, high end Plantronics and Sennheiser to name a few.
    I believe the corshair headsets are pretty damn impressive too but i have not tried them.

Anything else ive used, high end Plantronics and Sennheiser to name a few.
    I believe the corshair headsets are pretty damn impressive too but i have not tried them.

Interesting. I've never been that happy with Logitech stuff I've had in the past, currently am finding Sennheiser HD598s very good. Pricey though and no mic. Haven't seen many reviews on audio sites of the G35s.

The HD598s are good for their big soundstage and good detailings, in stereo they give very good positioning for me in games. I did buy them mainly for music though, this was just a pleasant surprise for me.

G35`s are superb, one slight niggle would be they are pretty heavy thus taking getting use to but trust me you will not be diapointed with your purchase.totally transforms your gaming.

Yeah thats what ive read they do seem very bulky looking compared to the corsair sleeker and lighter looking design. But think this comes at the expense of bass people have said there is litrally no bass on the corsairs where as on the logitechs there doesnt seem to be a problem with it? which is important in a game such as BF3.

You say you have used sennheisers and still find G35's to be better for games?

Yeah the sennheisers do seem to have very good postioning in games even though there stereo headphones which is why im not excluding them outright. Im just worried ill buy them and theyll sound rubbish cause my onboard sound isnt up to scratch. Dont think id need the amp but would i need the virtual sound from a new sound card to get the good positioning in these sort of games?

You say you have used sennheisers and still find G35's to be better for games

Yesh, the G35 has a more meaty sound to me, great bass, since you mention BF3 you will love the explosions and knowing where exactly sounds are coming from.
    @ full volume these things are bordering on frightening the first time you use them :)

Im using onboard sound but its a high end motherboard, not sure if that makes a huge difference as i tried them on my sons rig with a 6 year old motheboard and the sound was identical from what i could tell.
    You cant go wrong with any of the latest headsets from renowned manufacturers i believe.

Yeah the sennheisers do seem to have very good postioning in games even though there stereo headphones which is why im not excluding them outright. Im just worried ill buy them and theyll sound rubbish cause my onboard sound isnt up to scratch. Dont think id need the amp but would i need the virtual sound from a new sound card to get the good positioning in these sort of games?

Well, honestly sound quality is fine* with on-board sound cards so long as you don't get unlucky and have a defective one. The only reason for a soundcard is virtual surround (which some people hate). The only reason for an amp is if the onboard sound doesn't get the headphones loud enough for your tastes.

Whether you need virtual surround, well some people get better positioning from stereo, some from virtual surround. Honestly, if you're going the stereo route to begin with, try stereo first and see how you find it and if you don't find it that good go for a USB soundcard or whatever that'll give you surround sound. Personally I've tried both and found stereo suits my ears better. I don't like what virtual surround does to the sound in the game and can identify where a sound comes from perfectly fine with stereo.

*There generally is distortion and noise with on-board soundcards but unless you're using very sensitive IEM's (in-ear headphones) you're very unlikely to notice it unless your card is defective in some way.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,383 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Got a set of Sennheiser PC-350s there yesterday, looking forward to how they turn out. Sick and tired of using a crappy mic stuck to the side of my desk with blu tac.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 54,384 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Sorry for the bump but I thought these deserve a mention

Creative Sound Blaster Recon3D Omega Wireless Headset

From listening to reviews, they seem to be beasts. They also work with everything including consoles and pc
    http://www.creative.com/soundblaster/tactic3d/recon3domega/

Advertisement