Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Potty training begins.....

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭

Hi guys,

So I'm back for some of your wonderful (and much appreciated advice!) my son is 36mths and I have just started to potty train, he had his first day in big boy pants today with only 2 accidents so we're doing well, at home. But how does is work when we go out? I have to do my shopping tomorrow so what happens if he needs to go in tesco? Do I bring a potty with me and let him go on the aisle?! I don't want to confuse him by putting him in nappies for outings but have no idea how to deal with it! Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

What I did at the start was literally set a reminder on my phone for every 45 mins and bring her to the toilet every time. They have to learn the sensation of a full bladder and how to control it so it takes time. A whole new set of sensations, muscle control etc. Good advice I got - Wouldn't expect them to go from crawling to running in a few days so give it time and expect accidents

I did cold turkey on daytime nappies too. Before leaving the house I brought her to the toilet. Put a towel on the carseat and bring spare underwear and clothes with you. When you get to the shopping centre figure out where the toilets are in case you need to use them. I never brought the potty when out and about would just lift her onto the toilet and hold her.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,041 ✭✭✭Penny Dreadful

supermum1 wrote: »
    Hi guys,

So I'm back for some of your wonderful (and much appreciated advice!) my son is 36mths and I have just started to potty train, he had his first day in big boy pants today with only 2 accidents so we're doing well, at home. But how does is work when we go out? I have to do my shopping tomorrow so what happens if he needs to go in tesco? Do I bring a potty with me and let him go on the aisle?! I don't want to confuse him by putting him in nappies for outings but have no idea how to deal with it! Help!

You couldn't really do that! What are you going to do with the contents when he is finished? If you're going to take the potty to the shop toilet then you may as well take him before hand:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭supermum1

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I'm going to try avoid outings for a day or two. Mainly because he seems to be very erratic with his movements so I do 't know well I could time trips! We've had quite a few accidents today! How long do I persist before thinking he's simply not ready? He seems to just miss it and knows that he has wet himself but I'm not totally sure he's understanding the urge feeling

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Pugins

Impossible to say how long it will take! They have to learn to recognise the sensation of a full bladder and then learn how to control that until they are on the potty/toilet. You might have good days followed by bad ones where it feels like they didn't make it once. Our daughter seemed to 'get it' fairly fast but like many children carried on having accidents for a while. This usually happened when she was tired or too busy playing.

Don't stress they all have accidents. Just have plenty of spare underwear and pants with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Toodles_27

I potty-trained my daughter in July this year at 29months. She got it really quickly thankfully. However, I did remain housebound for 2 weeks. As other posters have said, he needs to learn the sensation of full bladder and try to control it to some extent. This will only happen with time.

For those 2 weeks, I relied on neighbours while DH was at work if I needed anything from shops. Everything else just had to wait until either DH could run the errand or he was available to stay at home with her.

Good Luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭carfiosaoorl

I just wanted to say good luck. I am in the same boat. I just recently started potty training my 4yr old, she has autism so we are starting a bit later. She held her pee for 5hrs today from 9 in the morning until 2. I eventually sat her on the potty and gave her a pot of warm water to play with and she released. So I thought after that I had plenty of time to go to the supermarket since she was holding that long but she peed in her buggy:rolleyes: I have no idea what to do about outings because pull ups confuse her and she is afraid of the big toilet. So I will be watching this spot:)

Hi guys,

Thanks again for the advice, thought I'd give a quick update. My ds is doing really well so far we went two days without any wet accidents and managed three (quick) outings without an accident. As for number 2's he still prefers to do those in his pants but hopefully that will come with time. He had his first day back in playschool since we started training today and I'm afraid he didn't make the potty once! The girls are great though and said it's quite normal at the start because of all the distractions. Thanks again for all you're help and advice and I will continue to update xx

Hi guys,

I fear I have hit a set back..... Grandparents! My ds was doing so well with his training even got through two days of playschool with no accidents but then he had to go to his grandma overnight and went right back to square one! He's barely going on the potty at all, still not putting him in nappies though, as frustrating as it is I know I need to persist. Speaking of persisting, I still can't get him to do a number 2 on the potty any tips?

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭mouseybrown

my little one is 31 mths now and i started training her in august and she got it pretty quick, the first thing i would do before we went out is ask her if she needed to go and if she did then id know she would be ok for a while , and after time she just got used to it . However number twos are a different story altogether she still refuses to do them on the potty or in the big toilet , i have to put a pull ups on her and she goes then i change her and back into normal pants. if i didnt put the pull ups on for her i know she would hold onto the poo for as long as she possibly could. Im hoping eventually she will just go in the potty... any ideas anyone??

Advertisement