Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cost of living

Options
  • 10-11-2011 1:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭

Right, I've trawled through these forums in hope of find an answer (Combined with google searches) and haven't come across anything recent.

I'm moving with 3 others to Australia (Melbourne) in January and I'm wondering, how much you would need to cover yourself until you've found a job? I know the minimum requirement is 3750 roughly in euro's or 5000 AUD.

I'm asking what costs/living expenses would be, to last say 2 months without any sort of a Job. I'm obviously hoping on picking up a job as soon as possible. But I'd prefer to plan for the worst! (I'm a recent IT Graduate but I'll take whatever is going) Rent will be divided 4 ways so that's a bonus. So if anyone has anything to add feel free. I appreciate any input on the subject matter.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 929 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

It really depends ona few things.
    Where are ye planning on staying? Hostel or house, sharing rooms?
    And eating and drinking out can be expensive if you do it a lot, but there are bargins to be had too.
    Personally I would budget about $400 to $500 a week for rent and living but it is possible to spend less and very very easy to blow that budget too. It really depends on your lifestyle Op.

Jobs can be hard to get as well, i arrived last January and it took me three months to get a job in my field with 3 years experience but i got casual work easy enough to keep me going. Hopefully you will pick something quick up though

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Planning on staying in a hostel for the first 2 weeks. And branching out after that hoping to sort an Apartment for the 4 of us (2 couples).

I've seen a few threads 2-3 years old who advised 20k would be enough to get you started, which to be honest scared me a small bit. Most, especially the young crowd are going over with a few thousand and thats it.

I don't want to miss anything whilst I'm in Melbourne etc. However I'm realistic in that I will have to skimp on certain things.

I think something in the region of 6-7k AUD should be enough to get me by for the first 2-3 months? Thanks again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

20K would be a Safe Migration figure for a couple. For a WHV it would be around 5k

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭Falcon.ie

Zambia wrote: »
    20K would be a Safe Migration figure for a couple. For a WHV it would be around 5k

Euro's I assume?

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

$6000 is plenty for a single person, if you gave yourself $500 p/w to cover all costs, rent/food/bills/socializing with out going over board;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Falcon.ie wrote: »
    I think something in the region of 6-7k AUD should be enough to get me by for the first 2-3 months?

No chance.

Consider this - if you move in somewhere you'll need four weeks rent for bond plus either a week or two depending on your frequency.

If you don't get your own place and stay in a hostel longer you'll eat and drink out a lot more and blow the money that way.

Either way I don't think 6-7k would get you any longer than six weeks when you're getting set up somewhere from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Theimprover

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Either way I don't think 6-7k would get you any longer than six weeks when you're getting set up somewhere from scratch.

How do you make this out? remember there is 4 of them, there is 3 of us heading to Brisbane, we have allowed about $500-$600 a week each.

This is a rough guidline to what we would be thinking.
    $600 rent for a furnished apt ($200 each)
    $300 food ($100 each)
    $300 bills ($100 each)
    $200 each for a bit of socializing

Some weeks we might spend more and less other weeks. To spend 6-7k in six weeks for one person would be insane imo when there is 3/4 people

• Registered Users Posts: 2,683 ✭✭✭zweton

Im hoping to go with €5000 euro, hope this is enough. I also need to think what the exchange rate will be like come March,the way its going the euro will equal the dollar and i will get nothing for my money.

• Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Ozeire

A bit of a guide. A can coke here usally $1.50 a bar choclate $2.20 ,
    train ticket zone 1,2 return $10.20 . Petrol anywhere brtween $1.30 on good
    day to $1.45 on a bad per Lt. Two pints wont see a hell of alot back form $20.
    Rent goes from $350 per week n the burbs up to $600 - $700 or more near city.
    I find the aussie $50 is pretty much like Ire euro;20 never seem to get much for it.
    Having said that have found places like ALDI a god send great deals to be had
    on weekly shop.

But right about renting it's expensive. You have to normally pay month up front deposit n months rent that adds up . How ever 2 couples should have a problem splitting it between you. Thats if someone will rent to you r u migrating or on WHV .They're not keen on WHV rents .

Having said that i'm sure between 4 of you you'll be grand . Melbourne is great place to live you'll love it n the whole of Oz. Proud to call it home now.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭sponge_bob

what would be a comfortable figure for a family with 3 kids emigratting to WA be?
    i have a brother there so he would put us up for a few weeks until we get our self sorted with a house. probably give us a loan of his car for a day if we needed it. but this would be all shortterm and kinda irrelevant anyhow as we would have to get our own house and car sorted ourselves even before we would get any work.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,333 ✭✭✭Zambia

As much as you can.

A figure of 30K should get you going.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭markymark21

Xavi6 wrote: »

How do you make this out? remember there is 4 of them, there is 3 of us heading to Brisbane, we have allowed about $500-$600 a week each.

This is a rough guidline to what we would be thinking.
    $600 rent for a furnished apt ($200 each)
    $300 food ($100 each)
    $300 bills ($100 each)
    $200 each for a bit of socializing

Some weeks we might spend more and less other weeks. To spend 6-7k in six weeks for one person would be insane imo when there is 3/4 people

Ya should make sure you have some emergency funds.. Just in case ya know?

Either way if your the kind of guys who can live on the cheap it shouldnt be a problem! Easier said then done in my opinion though!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

Ozeire wrote: »
    But right about renting it's expensive. You have to normally pay month up front deposit n months rent that adds up . How ever 2 couples should have a problem splitting it between you. Thats if someone will rent to you r u migrating or on WHV .They're not keen on WHV rents.

Do you think flatshares would be easier to obtain when you're on a WHV? I wouldn't dream of taking out a lease but I'd prefer to get a room somewhere as I dont want to be in hostels for any more than 2 or 3 weeks. also, is rent much cheaper out in the suburbs of Sydney / Melbourne, or does it differ very little?

Advertisement