Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Joomla or Dotnetnuke?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 1:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭

hi everyone

Im just wondering what is a better platform joomla or dotnetnuke, and can someone tell me the difference between cms and a portal system?? dotnetnuke a portal system and joomla is a cms what these and whats the difference's

what would be the easiest to make a website and easy to look after for the use of a client??

and also i know you can use xxamp for joomla but can it be used for dotnetnuke or do you have to use visual basic??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Hey, don't use either. If you're after something EASY to use and compatible and well supported - don't use either. I've used Joomla a lot; it was doing well upto a few years ago. WORDPRESS has taken over - it's got a very big community and has many developers if you run into any trouble.

The main thing is the WORDPRESS is EASY and very flexible plus has a lot of functionality/design available at your fingertips.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Healy Boy

i heard wordpress is just mainly for bloging, i just want to create a simple website nothing too fancy. do you know anything to the second part of the first question? cms .......?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 web designer meath

Sorry, I don't quite understand the 2nd part of your question.

Wordpress was originally and still is a 'blogging' platform, but a lot of regular business websites use Wordpress now, it's easy to manage and you can easily 'disable' the blog part of the site.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

I wouldn't use either... either! :)

But if I had to choose, I'd definitely choose Joomla over DNN.

You can do just as nice things with Wordpress and bring it out of the "Blogging Tool" with plugins etc - so if I was you, I'd be looking at WordPress for the simple project.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭Svetti Arss

Healy Boy wrote: »
    i heard wordpress is just mainly for bloging

No its not though it might have been created for that purpose initially.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

In this case there isn't really a difference between 'Portal' and 'CMS', they both mean pretty much the same thing.

Neither one is objectively 'better' than the other one. To be honest the main factors to choose between them will be your requirements, your own skill set and the platform you need to run it on.

First decide in detail specifically what your requirements are, then check if both of them support those.

Next, if you know PHP go with Joomla (or also consider Drupal), if you know .Net go with DNN.

Lastly if you need to host the site on Linux go with Joomla/Drupal. If you are hosting on Windows then you can either use Xamp to host Joomla/Drupal or use IIS/SQL to host DNN.

Also look at some of the CMS comparison sites out there, compare the features of all of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭tomED

No its not though it might have been created for that purpose initially.

That debate continues on and on - out of the box Wordpress is a blogging tool - with modifications to settings and plugins it can definitely be classed as a CMS.
    stevenmu wrote: »
    Neither one is objectively 'better' than the other one. To be honest the main factors to choose between them will be your requirements, your own skill set and the platform you need to run it on.

Usually I would agree with this - however, with the two examples he's used i.e. Joomla and DNN - the track record speaks for itself.

You just have to go and look at the issues DNN users have with upgrading (have been there done that and lost plenty of sleep). There's also a lot more help and resources out there for Joomla, so finding solutions to your problems can be easier with Joomla.

As I said above - I'm certainly not a Joomla fanboy, nor a Wordpress one - but I'd choose either of those over DNN any day.

Advertisement