Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is 'respect' BS?

• 10-11-2011 3:18am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭

You hear it so much ... "I respect him/her" ... "I respect your opinion" ... "I respect your choice"

Am I the only one who thinks its generally bull****?

* Take Opinions. People feel strongly about their opinions (and especially on boards) In many threads you just see two people getting back trying to prove the other is wrong. No 'respecting' the others opinion there.
    * Take religion. Most atheists dont respect a person of faith & most religious people dont respect someone without faith.
    * In decisions/choices. Whats the most commonly used word when you hear "I respect your decision..."?? ... its "but" - I respect your opinion but XXXXXXX. Aka, I still think you are wrong. By having to mention but you are still yet again getting your view/side in.
    * People and ability or skill. That you could find someone a total wan*er but 'respect' his/her ability or skill ... isn't that more so acknowledgement than respect? ... also, being honest if you dont like someone most are not willing to acknowledge any positive thing.

So boards, theres a poll. Vote I say! :pac:

Is 'respect' BS? 10 votes

Yes, it is.
    0% 0 votes
    No, it is not.
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

LighterGuy wrote: »

damn ninja polls
    :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,300 ✭✭✭Indubitable

Saila wrote: »
    damn ninja polls
    :(

What?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

What?

I think that bastard with the invisible cloak was up to his tricks

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭The Internet Explorer

I do respect what you are saying but I think that........actually fuck it. No buts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

You can respect someone's believes in any topic, doesn't mean you agree and just because you don't agree doesn't mean you cant respect/accept that that's their belief.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,243 ✭✭✭LighterGuy

Senna wrote: »
    You can respect someone's believes in any topic, doesn't mean you agree and just because you don't agree doesn't mean you cant respect/accept that that's their belief.

But thats what we are talking about ;)
    One says they respect, but do they actually. Is it a genuine I respect your choice/opinion/etc or is it just a way to end a debate/argument. While you still think they are wrong.

Its like me and you were going at it and I say "senna, i respect your opinion" (while in reality i am just ending it. thinking to myself that you dont know what you are talking about)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 7,941 Mod ✭✭✭✭Yakult

No.

Yakult wrote: »
    No.

I respect your opnion .... BUT :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 935 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

I respect the fact this thread makes my head hurt.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

Me and one of my sisters are atheists, my mother and my other sister are very religious. we all respect each others views, so yeah it exists.

• Advertisement

mackg wrote: »
    Me and one of my sisters are atheists, my mother and my other sister are very religious. we all respect each others views, so yeah it exists.

But you are talking within family.
    Outside, it doesnt. Point in case is the dozens of Atheist threads on here.

Whats the differnce between within family and outside family respect?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

I respect my parents, a couple of family members, and a close friend because they've earned it from me.

Giving respect arbitrarily is bull****... even dangerous I would say.

We've had too much arbitrary respect and subservience for priests, banksters, property speculators, politicians and look where it got us.

Hasmunch wrote: »
    Whats the differnce between within family and outside family respect?

Simple mate :rolleyes:
    you are more likely to respect, tolerate, accept things from a person thats close to you ... than someone who is not.

Example, I tell you to fu*k off or say you are a fool who doesnt know what you are talking about. You wont take that. Rightfully so. But if a family member did you wouldnt react the same. I assume you know this. But I question it since you asked.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,076 ✭✭✭Eathrin

OP saying you "respect their opinion but" isn't a roundabout way of telling them they're wrong you are simply putting your opinion forward while acknowledging and taking in anothers opinion, the respect is for admiration, integrity, sure it can be a number of things but it's definitely not a straightforward no!

But you are talking within family.
    Outside, it doesnt. Point in case is the dozens of Atheist threads on here.

I posted in some atheist threads and have the same respect for people of opposing views in there, I might disagree but that's just healthy argument. Once you learn to have respect for other peoples opinions on one subject as I do with my family I think it's just logical to apply the same respect to any difference of opinion, within reason.

I respect my parents, a couple of family members, and a close friend because they've earned it from me.

We've had too much arbitrary respect and subservience for priests, banksters, property speculators, politicians and look where it got us.

there is definitely a difference between respecting an opinion and believing/obeying something you don't agree with.

Ah i get you more now :rolleyes:

Are you not throwing two different types of respect in together here.

Respect for a person.
    Respect for a person's opionion's/beliefs/abilities.

Respecting a persons mean a lot more.
    As you say repecting an opinion is just a roundabout way of saying i have a different opinion.

My head hurts from saying respect too much.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Amzie

Yes Its Bull **** on boards because people are hiding behind their laptops so its not like they are going to get a slap for talking back to you and disagreeing! In person I dont think everyone would be so outspoken,well Im not but thats just me (I like an easy life- not stupid arguments) :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 69 ✭✭IsaMtq

When it is, it is, when its not, its not. So…
    “Is respect bull****”? Yes and No (but never at the same time)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 443 ✭✭Colilfc

R.E.S.P.E.C.T Find out what it means to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

You not respect anybody outside that group? Historical figures eg.?

I do see your point but people can go the too cynical route and that isn't good either!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,562 ✭✭✭✭Sunnyisland

People can have different opinions & believes in which there entitled to have and I would try my hardest to respect those even though I might disagree with them hugely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,657 ✭✭✭Doctor Jimbob

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

K-9 wrote: »
    You not respect anybody outside that group? Historical figures eg.?

I do see your point but people can go the too cynical route and that isn't good either!

I guess these terms are kind of nebulous but what I mean is that I don't really feel that I should respect anyone unless they've given me good reason to.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a mannerly guy until I'm given a reason not to be.

I'm not a great lover of authority I suppose.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

You hear it so much ... "I respect him/her" ... "I respect your opinion" ... "I respect your choice"

Am I the only one who thinks its generally bull****?

* Take Opinions. People feel strongly about their opinions (and especially on boards) In many threads you just see two people getting back trying to prove the other is wrong. No 'respecting' the others opinion there.
    * Take religion. Most atheists dont respect a person of faith & most religious people dont respect someone without faith.
    * In decisions/choices. Whats the most commonly used word when you hear "I respect your decision..."?? ... its "but" - I respect your opinion but XXXXXXX. Aka, I still think you are wrong. By having to mention but you are still yet again getting your view/side in.
    * People and ability or skill. That you could find someone a total wan*er but 'respect' his/her ability or skill ... isn't that more so acknowledgement than respect? ... also, being honest if you dont like someone most are not willing to acknowledge any positive thing.

using generalizations to justifie what you think, not only original but effective... :|

As it stands the poll is 6 for yes. 20 for no.
    But I honestly think those 20 people are fools. Living in a delusional world. Because lets look at another aspect of 'respect' - you may respect another but he/she doesnt respect you in turn.

See, the above is a two-parter. (1), its what I actually feel and (2) Can anyone on here really respect my opinion for thinking the majority of the vote (the 22) are wrong? ... Is someone going to get back to me saying they disagree with me BUT at the same time honestly 'respecting' my opinion and genuinely meaning it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭Pdfile

But I honestly think those 20 people are fools. Living in a delusional world. Because lets look at another aspect of 'respect' - you may respect another but he/she doesnt respect you in turn.

See, the above is a two-parter. (1), its what I actually feel and (2) Can anyone on here really respect my opinion for thinking the majority of the vote (the 22) are wrong? ... Is someone going to get back to me saying they disagree with me BUT at the same time honestly 'respecting' my opinion and genuinely meaning it?

so... this is what a Fail troll looks like....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

I respect someone who has put together a good argument, and does it respectfully, even if I disagree with it. I don't care if they are close friends or family or tribespeople from New Guinea (no disrespect to them LOL).

I don't know what other people think about respect so can't answer for them.

In fact family can be a real PITA as you're stuck with them by an accident of birth, and why they should demand more respect than anyone else is beyond me.

I don't respect people with black and white views on everything as there are nearly always shades of grey - except in the physical sciences.

Least of all I don't respect arrogant people who try to tell people "it's too complicated for you to understand" and suchlike - normally they're covering up for their own incompetence.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I respect anyones belief up till a point. Religion I just can never understand how someone can believe in that and I would really question there state of mind if someone believes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

respects a lot based on personal opinion does a person warent your respect?

Well id say whats the person done to earn it......

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

Anybody who doesn't respect me, doesn't get any respect back.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Is 'respect' BS?

No, its at the very least, good manners, shows openness to (a) accept others points of view (b) willingness to still admit that one own ideas might be open to further change/interpretation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,549 ✭✭✭✭cowzerp

I disagree but respect your beliefs!

Rush Boxing club and Rush Martial Arts head coach.

Advertisement