Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ireland, its history, and its political paradigm.

• 10-11-2011 3:30am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hello to all. I've never posted on this site before, so I thought I'd give it a try.

I've recently taken an interest in politics, and I have to say a short speech about improving Ireland on this topic.

Please critique.

--

Irish politics and our culture - optimism.

A job of a political and as a public representative is to serve the people to the best of their ability.

Politicians are not beyond the law. They are not beyond our moral obligations as citizens and when in doubt, we must turn to the rule of law - our constitution - in order to seek guidance in this wonderful nation.

By having a constitution we've allowed our representatives to make the correct, informed decisions on matters foreign, domestic; financial or social.

Politicians and government officials are servants to the people, most certainly it is not the other way around. In turn, they must work for to better the country as it stands and of course, as it will stand for generations to come.

Most would argue that politicians - the people that are our servants - have lost their way in these times. We've spent way beyond our means as a nation, failed to instill any confidence to the people of Ireland in our governments ability to make decisions and have begun to walk on the road to limit the freedom of the individual.

Instead, through what has turned into socio-economically altering decisions, we've started on the road to losing our direction, losing our sovereignty and losing the freedom of the individual. All of a sudden the 'correct decision' has been a token gesture from other politicians. The correct decision is not always the popular one; we need representatives that will take this perceived 'hit' for the good of all of our futures, for this is a public servants duty -- they are not hired to maintain their popularity.

They've previously made decisions (and sometimes not made decisions) on behalf of the people that have only truly been in the interest of the groups that line their pockets -- cronyism in essence -- the very 'golden circle' that has become a commonplace term.

We as a people are starting to understand that it is not just their local area we need to look after. It is not just the potholes on our roads, or planning permission for apartments that need to be fixed -- it's the failed policies that effect the entire nation that eventually are trickling down through society. Short-term gain is a show of total greed.

However, we are not alone. Many of the same issues have hit other countries just the same as us.

We now as a nation need to come together, learn from our mistakes and the mistakes made by others, rectify our current and our future policy and do what is right for the common good. The concept of the 'common good' is outlined in that wonderful document written back in 1937 - Bunreacht na heireann.

This is our opportunity, our challenge -- in our own hands. We live in uncertain times, but as we - in this great country knows - can get everything we know to do a "good turn".

We are incredibly resourceful - we can produce some of the highest quality agricultural produce in the world, farmers and fishermen that know the land and livestock better than anyone.

We have a nation of mysticism, of Celtic heritage attracting tourists from all around the world to come to our emerald isle. We have a nation of sports people that are top of their profession. From golf, Olympic boxing and in the field of athletics to name but a few. We have the GAA, in my opinion the greatest amateur sports organisation in the world, we have a history of poets and writers from Joyce to Kavanagh. We have a culture unmatched anywhere in the world -- in my opinion.

We have produced scholars and people that have discovered many of the parts of modern science and in turn are saving lives. We have all we need as a nation from our resources, both in people and from the land to be a prosperous, successful and sovereign nation. We need the right people to lead the way.

The greatest part about all of these intangibles and characteristics? All of these things that make us a great country? All of the history and culture?
    They can never be taken away from us.

--

Advertisement