Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can AnPost not just drop it round the back

Options
  • 10-11-2011 3:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 48

I am never at home when AnPost arrive to deliver a package and I then have to drive to maynooth to pick it up which is a pain, not just the effort but trying to work the trip around work and other stuff.

Is there any way to get the delivery driver to attempt a knock and if no reply just bring it around the back? Maybe if I left a drop box to put stuff into?

If only AnPost would team up with SuperValu, Tesco and leave your packages there for a small fee, now thats a service with opening times to suit all your needs :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,851 ✭✭✭Cill Dara Abu

Have a word with you're postman the next time you see him, I'm sure he will happily oblige unless he's a complete knob.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭Trevor451

Have a word with you're postman the next time you see him, I'm sure he will happily oblige unless he's a complete knob.

I would imagine the postman would be held accountable if the package went missing so its a bad idea

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

vinnyirl wrote: »
    Is there any way to get the delivery driver to attempt a knock and if no reply just bring it around the back? Maybe if I left a drop box to put stuff into?

How long would it take for you to make a complaint to An Post when someone robs the package out of that box? Also, if you were expecting a delivery and it went missing in the post, you would have no idea if it had been delivered and stolen, the post man took it, a neighbour took it, it was never sent in the first place or it went missing somewhere in the postal system.

Bad idea to want your post delivered to a box outside your house. Highly unlikely the postman will go for it, since it'd be his neck on the line.

If you could get deliveries addressed to work that would save you a journey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

I am never at home when AnPost arrive to deliver a package and I then have to drive to maynooth to pick it up which is a pain, not just the effort but trying to work the trip around work and other stuff.

If only AnPost would team up with SuperValu, Tesco and leave your packages there for a small fee, now thats a service with opening times to suit all your needs :)
    Next week there will be a post that says "Postman left package at back of house - but its not there now. An Post refusing to pay up - terrible service".

Why not just get packages delivered to your workplace? Thats what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

My lovely post mans puts the parcel in the recycling bin for us, he's a star. He writes 'in bin' on one of the leaflets you get to say you have to collect in the depo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,753 ✭✭✭SteM

Bad idea OP, as others have said it would lead to a whole lot of trouble for An Post.

Last November our postman took to just leaving packages behind the recycle bin but he never told us! One got absolutely ruined because it was just left out in the snow - I was fuming.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

I get all parcels sent to work as suggested.
    Trevor451 wrote: »
    I would imagine the postman would be held accountable if the package went missing so its a bad idea
    I expect their might be a formal way of doing it, notifying an post and taking responsibility. I know a settled traveller family near me lives down an odd lane and have postboxes lined up on a wall really far from the houses & caravans. Same sort of idea of apartment blocks I suppose. I see them on gated houses around foxrock too.

I had wondered if you could get one for a front door, like those special postboxes you see in industrial estates that only let stuff be put in and sort of self seal themselves against getting stuff back out. Like a front door lock you leave it open, "one the latch" for the postman, he puts it in and shuts it properly and you have a key to open later.

EDIT: amazon have them, "parcel delivery box" some are huge
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=parcel+delivery+box&x=0&y=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,076 ✭✭✭maxer68

I think amazon are trialling drop boxes in locations in USA!

A home-made dropbox with pleny of soft padding (old duvet) at the bottom would be a good answer and you can leave instructions with local delivery office. - They may get you to sign a disclaimer, but it should work

• Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭Supraman

The postman/woman should not leave packets "round the back" , as a postman myself it's incredible the amount of people I see everyday in estates from ourselves to leaflet drops, free newspapers etc you don't know who is around and hence who may swipe a packet.

Just get them delivered to work or a trusted neighbour who is usually there . You can also send in the delivery notice to get it re-delivered to a different address .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

I'd always get a package delivered to my office. Even when at home I've come out to find a note to say they'd called and when I tell the post office I was at home and nobody knocked I'm told "Well sometimes they just bring the notes and leave the parcels here because it's easier for them if they don't have a van on the day".

Great service.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭5500

If your anyway friendly with your neighbours ask the postie can he give a tap on one of their doors if there's no answer at yours. I asked my own postman could he do this and he obliges no problem.

Just dont forget to throw him a thank you card or price of a pint come xmas if he does go out of his way for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,182 ✭✭✭alexlyons

theres drop box's you can get, or make if your that way inclined, that are basically a piece of wood screwed to the ground, with a lid hinged to the wood. the lid is the "space" for the parcel. sort of like an upside down box.

I know a few people who have them and the postman leaves the parcel in it, locks it and puts the key in the letter box. Its a type of lock that the key stays in unless its locked so its handy all round. not a difficult lock to get and a handy box

Advertisement