Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Memories of Morrowind

• 10-11-2011 4:25am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭

With the release of Skyrim just a few hours away I thought I'd share a memory of the elder scrolls games to highlight how ****ing broken these games could be :P

So I purchase and install Morrowind (PC) and proceed to create my character, when I leave the first room I walk down the road where I happen to see a little frog. This frog proceeds to bite me, which poisons me and reduces my personality by a considerable amount (remember I am a brand new character so my personality was already pretty poor). This poisoning causes every single person I encounter to look at me in disgust and ignore me. What to do! So I went to a temple to get healed by a priest healer guy and find out that he also will not speak to me, as a result of my (clearly rancid) personality. Thus making the game unplayable :) I had to start all over again.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,710 ✭✭✭Monotype

A frog? Is the game modded?

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭Conmc88

never heard of frogs in morrowind???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

frog/rat/rabid badger

something small and indistinguished.

Maybe it was a scrib or kwama forager?
    http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Scrib#Scrib
    http://uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Kwama_Forager#Kwama_Forager
    If you put together some of the legs of the scrib with the hopping of the forager...

It's unlucky to get a disease early on but if nobody would talk to you to sell you cure potions or scrolls, there's always the shrines in the temples, although a new player might take a while to find this.
    The alternative is to get completely naked. Most people will talk to you then. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭gaius c

I used to do loads of jumping while walking about to get my acrobatics skill up but I quickly learned not to do it on bridges because I kept falling through the bridge.

God I love Morrowind. Actually I'm going to start playing it again.

• Advertisement

It's usually not a good idea to be jumping around Vivec either. :mad:
    I liked to jump off high mountains to see if I'd survive. It was a bonus if I could cause myself to collapse (without dying). Last time I played, my acrobatics skills were so high that even the scrolls of Icarian flight couldn't kill me.

Yeah Vivec was a pain as well.
    I kind of enjoyed the endless magic casting to get my willpower stats up though. Hours upon hours of mouse clicking and pressing T but you do get great satisfaction out of having a leet character.

The Tribunal expansion drove me mad though. Those Dark Brotherhood assassins gave my early stage characters serious trouble even with difficulty turned down.

They were great for valuable armour for an early character though!

Oh and did anyone talk to that wood elf in Mournehold by accident only to find themselves facing The Elder Scrolls version of Final Fantasy's Omega Weapon a day or so later?

I got out of Mournehold fairly snappish after that.

Gaenor? The guy who demands loads of money?
    He's not very nice. I did have over a million when I tried talking to him though.

http://uesp.net/wiki/Tribunal:The_Natural

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭klose

I bought it off steam today for my laptop and runs very well, first ever pc game might i add. Heard its very good and am impressed with it so far but im having a big problem in finding places, the mini map is well, very mini and there's no pointer/hints anywhere I keep having to go to journal and map to find places and its all very time consuming and annoying tbh.
    Am I missing something here, ive looked around the options and there nothing there about it. Is there a mod for it? Also, its goty edition so is the dlc thta came with it extra quests or what? Confused enough at the moment..:)

Ah, back in those days when DLCs were free.
    Or do you mean the expansions? The GOTYE has the expansions Tribunal and Bloodmoon. As far as I know, the only DLC plugin that was left out was the LeFemme Armour. Hmm... I think I missed the Helm of Tohan myself. The Siege at Firemoth is a good one for a challenging mission. I think I recall some of these not being there when I ran the GOTY but they might have added them into the steam version.
    They've taken down the links from the Bethesda site but you can get it from their Zenimax masters, linked on the wiki:
    http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Morrowind:Official_Plug-ins

There's no map markers or anything like that. The journal has a quest filter which is handy enough (this didn't come in until a later patch!). It's a little difficult at first, but it's not too bad when you get familiar with the towns. The worst is one particular quest which has you constantly referring back to a book in your inventory. I suggest that you print out a map of Vvardenfell which should make things a bit easier. Also, you can double click on the in game map and make your own notes. This might be just the local map, I'm not sure if you can do it with the big one, but local notes show up in the full map too.

Edit: The expansions are Tribunal and Bloodmoon. These are fairly expansive extra areas with extra questlines each, side missions and new monsters, items etc.
    Tribunal takes place in Mournhold, which is like an extra large town added on. Quite a fun questline. Bloodmoon takes place on a whole separate Island to the north of Morrowind, with a completely different landscape and a whole load of new creatures.

Oh yeah, you can stetch around the size of the minimap.

Advertisement