Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reaction to Dog Booster Vaccination

• 10-11-2011 4:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Sorry if this has been asked/answered before but can anyone tell me what adverse reactions dogs can have to booster vaccines? My friend has a dog who I also spend a lot of time minding/walking and we brought it for its shot last Tuesday. Since then he's been quite lethargic and worse still showing signs of aggression towards me! He is normally the quietest dog ever and barely even barks. Now, at times, he growls at me and lunged at me last night but didn't actually bite. It's totally out of character for him and most of the time he is still ok with me but he's just not himself overall. Anyone know if this may be a side effect of his shots? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Any sudden change in behaviour can be indicative of the dog being in pain and needs to be addressed by a vet as soon as possible. Aggression is a particular indication that a dog is uncomfortable or in pain and the longer you leave it the worse it can get. Reactions to shots is uncommon but not unheard of, however there could be something totally unrelated going on also so the dog will need to see a vet, today if possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭tucked

Thanks for your reply lorebringer. I didn't get to bring him to the vet but he is 100% back to himself now. It had to have been a reaction to the shots and as you said perhaps he was in pain - apparently the area where he gets the shot can get quite sore and he had to have his glands drained as well so it must have been quite uncomfortable. I'm thinking maybe he associated me with the Vet that caused him pain?? Its very strange and very upsetting to see a totally mild mannered dog change so much. But all is well again. Thanks again.

Advertisement