Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Engineering: where / which type?

• 08-11-2011 6:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 124 ✭✭

Is there a major difference in the difficulty of different types of engineering?
    And is there a big difference in the difficulty of studying engineering in an IT as oppossed to a university?

I have a big interest in how machinery works. What would be the most appropriate form of engineer?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

Is there a major difference in the difficulty of different types of engineering?
    And is there a big difference in the difficulty of studying engineering in an IT as oppossed to a university?
    There is a cliche which goes the rounds that those studying engineering in universities get a strong theoretical base, and are less strong on applications / the practical side, whereas courses in IoTs are stronger practically, but less emphasis on the theoretical underpinnings.

Personally, I know very little about engineering, but a friend who employs a number of engineers would say that while he's found some truth in it, it's somewhat of an exaggeration. He would also say that there is no such thing as all courses in all IoTs being the same or having the same reputation / standing with potential employers; same for the universities: in other words, do your research, talk to people who have done the course, if at all possible suss out employers in the area and see what they think.
    I have a big interest in how machinery works. What would be the most appropriate form of engineer?
    I certainly would have a good look at mechanical engineering, but I wouldn't just zone in solely on one: have a good look around at all your options.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭magicianz

Theres not really a massive difference in difficulty with the different engineering courses, everything will be taught to a university/IT standard. Even in UCC now, the 4 different engineering courses are all together for the first year with all the same modules.

I would think it is true that ITs focus more on the practical side of the subject more, but both will give you some experience with engineering in your field, as well as the theory back ground.

As for what type, look at the course modules for all the years or each type of engineering and see what jumps out at you. If you do pursue a career in engineering, chances are you will work with every single type of engineer at some point in your life, theres no one course thats really better, just one that you enjoy more than others. :)
    If you like machinery then mechanical engineering may be what you want alright but dont confine yourself to it already.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 Tcostelloe

i don't know much about engineering but i know that NUIG in Galway have just built an engineering building and cost millions and is the biggest in Ireland (from what i heard) there is a lot of talk about it and plus NUI is a brillant college is well.

Advertisement