Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Game keeps crashing please help

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭

I am having a lot of issues with this game. Despite running the beta with no issues I find that the game crashes leaving me with no other option but to reset the PC. I would be lucky to get 10-15mins or more each time. This is a problem that other folks are having as well so at least I'm not alone. Just wondering has anyone here been suffering with similar issues and if so did they get them resolved

Any chance this could be graphics driver related ????

I'm running a Radeon HD6850 card using the latest ATI drivers which are 11.10

Any ideas because I'm tearing what little hair I have left out.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Crashes in game or during round finishes\map changes(almost everyone gets that).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Macker1

Crashes in game or during round finishes\map changes(almost everyone gets that).

The crash that I'm talking about is always in game. It could be early in a round or may happen after playing a round and starting a second round. Like a lot of people I also have the game crap out on me at other times as well. I'm paraying for a patch to come out and resolve my problem.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Ponster

I had the same problem. For the first 3 days I only managed to complete 2 whole rounds.

I used the fix on the link below and since then it's been fine but as always with BF, one man's solution isn't always *the* solution for everyone :)

http://battlelog.battlefield.com/bf3/forum/threadview/2832654489420350764/

• Registered Users Posts: 17,434 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Macker1 wrote: »
    I'm running a Radeon HD6850 card using the latest ATI drivers which are 11.10

Any ideas because I'm tearing what little hair I have left out.

:mad::mad::mad::mad:

What CAP profiles are you using?
    11.9 CAP4 is the latest, also ATI recommend if you have 11.9 CAP3 profiles installed to remove them as they were causing crashes.

Another option todo is go to wherever you have BF3 Installed
    mine is: D:\Origin\Origin Games\Battlefield 3 for example

then select the 'bf3.exe'

right click on the exe and go to the compatibility tab

then tick the box that says

"Disable Desktop Composition"

press apply

this will disable windows aero when you open the game and frees up vram

doing this trick frees up 300-400 mb vram meaning the computer is not bottlenecked.

Another issue I found causing huge lag was my GPU temps (2x 5870) were up in the high 90's. The ATI CCC just wasn't spinning the fans enough to keep the cards cool hence they were pretty close to their thresholds and was struggling as normally cards will start to throttle back once they reach a certain temp (although I think it's about 112c for the ATI 5 series) but still fans were running too slow.
    Using MSI afterburner I was able to set up a fan profile which increased my GPU fan speeds depending on temps. Now they run at approx 70-80c and my game is a lot more stable.

MSI Afterburner http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/download.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 7,114 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I have the same problem

I put up a thread in the building and upgrading forum about it

In Short: BF is not plaiyng nice with my sound card. Disabling it in the bios and using USB headset let me play for 1.5 hours last night with no problem.

I haven't reached a final resolution yet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭RustySpoon

I had a crashing issue in Multiplayer and campaign but it seems to have been resolved now after a good bit of tweaking, here's what I did:

Spec:
    W7 Pro 64
    ATI 5850

DL latest version 11.10 ATI drivers
    Fully unistall old video drivers & reboot
    Install new ones & reboot
    ensure game and origin & plugins are up to date if not download & install
    Disable ATI tools or any FPS overlay software you may have
    Set browser (firefox in my case) that battlelog launches to run as administrator
    Set origin to run as administrator

Hope that helps

This game sucks............

I have tried everything as suggested and I'm still suffering with the PC crashing. Its a major pain in the hole as I've never had issues like this with any other games. The PC is running fine with everything else including Skyrim which I installed only a couple of days ago.

No sign of patch that would hopefully solve my problem. :(:(:(:(:(:(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,333 ✭✭✭death1234567

No sign of patch that would hopefully solve my problem.
    Rumours are that ATi 11.11 drivers might be released today, here's hoping...

This has worked for me (as i said i had the exact same problem)

Buy yourself a USB sound card:
    Here is one for €3 delivered from an irish ebayer

Disable your sound card in your bios

Plug this in and plug your headphones and mic into this.

Enjoy

It sucks that you need to get different hardware but it at least digs you out of a hole for the moment. And even if it doesnt work, your down €3 :)

Rumours are that ATi 11.11 drivers might be released today, here's hoping...

Fingers Crossed that this will resolve the problems that I and other folks are having.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Marcin B

I had a problem with Battlefield just freezing after 15-20 min. I couldn't even go back to windows. I've spent a lot of time trying various solutions. Finally found one. Give this one a try:

underclock your graphic card by 10% if the game runs stable try only 5%. You won't loose much FPS but you can get a solid gameplay.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭KillerShamrock

I had problems too game would crash or freeze mid game and cause a nasty sound loop, so I disabled the on board sound on my mobo in the bios and just use my sound card hasn't crashed since :)

• Registered Users Posts: 495 ✭✭jakedixon2004

This seems to be a punkbuster issue. I have seen it being a problem with realtek and punkbuster not playing nice together and has been an issue for a long time.

I would suggest you try to disable your sound in the BIOS and then try the game again. If this works then you could try and uninstall your audio drivers after re-enabling them and then do a reset of your PC. Windows will auto install new drivers.
    If this doesnt work then I would suggest you look into a cheap non-realtek soundcard for your PC.
    I would also suggest uninstalling punkbuster completely from your system and then restart your PC. Once you are back in then you can right click BF3 in Origin and repair the game. This will redownload and install punkbuster.

Not too sure if this is any help, but I did all of this and it worked for me, so best of luck with it guys ;)

11.11 is out now, gonna install it later today.

11.11 is out now, gonna install it later today.

Downloading now but am in work on two nights so will not get a chance to try them out.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks

Downloading now but am in work on two nights so will not get a chance to try them out.

Let me know how you get on.

Thanks
    Installed them and the game is the exact same (I wasn't having any mid game crashes though). If anything the green flicker is even worse now. I guess drivers are probably not the issue. Need a proper patch from DICE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,992 ✭✭✭KilOit

This game is crashing every 3rd server join, even get a 4 crash streak at times, very annoying.

KilOit wrote: »
    This game is crashing every 3rd server join, even get a 4 crash streak at times, very annoying.

What sound card are you using ???

Just curious as I seen a number of people suggesting that Realtek on-board sound options may be causing issues.

What sound card are you using ???

Just curious as I seen a number of people suggesting that Realtek on-board sound options may be causing issues.

Not really sure, but I think it's an on board card with the asus motherboard, will look at it tomorrow when at pc

Other people who are saying its crashing, is it crashing to the desktop or is freezing your entire computer (only option is a power off)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

I heard a strange solution last night...try updating your Flash Player. A couple of times I've tried opening a game and it would crash straight away, but I had a Youtube tab open in Firefox. I close the tab and yay it works! It does still crash rarely obviously because of some other glitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,843 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

Other people who are saying its crashing, is it crashing to the desktop or is freezing your entire computer (only option is a power off)

I had that happen the other night... complete lockup. Earlier on I had a blue screen (Win 7 Pro X64 with 8GB RAM and a HD5770).

As usual the game was released before it was ready - any ETA on the first patch?

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭mick-fitz8585

The problem seems to be ATI drivers as u all seem to have problems are using ATI.

I have realtek on board sound and an nvidia gtx580 and have no problems with crashes.

Over heating sounds like it could be the problem to.

I have an nvidia 460GTX and i get the freeze up thing when my sound card is enabled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 premdelap11

My first impression of bf3 even before I fired a single bullet in the game was far from impressive as it froze during installation and I had to restart my ps3.It has also crashed several times since then especially during online gameplay.:mad:

The problem seems to be ATI drivers as u all seem to have problems are using ATI.

I have realtek on board sound and an nvidia gtx580 and have no problems with crashes.

Over heating sounds like it could be the problem to.

The beta ran fine for me with my ATI HD8650. The crashing only started when trying to play the game when released. Hopefully a patch will come out soon to help those players having problems.

Installed them and the game is the exact same (I wasn't having any mid game crashes though). If anything the green flicker is even worse now. I guess drivers are probably not the issue. Need a proper patch from DICE.

I have installed the 11.11 drivers and am still having the crashing issue. I've never seen the green flicker problem. Bring on the patch..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I have installed the 11.11 drivers and am still having the crashing issue. I've never seen the green flicker problem. Bring on the patch..........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Same, even crashed during a game which was really rare with the previous drivers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,249 ✭✭✭Stev_o

Did anyone manage to find a fix for this problem? Having the exact same problems and honestly it's ****ing appalling how bad EA and DICE are with helping the community.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,920 ✭✭✭AnCapaillMor

Just tried 11.11c just played 3 rounds and no crash, it crashed 2 out of every 3 rounds before.

Advertisement