Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

standard attic light and power questions

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭

morning all,

this week or next i plan on tackling my attic.

i was hoping to put a light switch and a double socket and thats about it.

i have access to a bathroom light and bedroom ceiling light so is there a preference on which i should be using.

is it a simple as taking a feed out from one or the other or am i missing something.

i recently had a sparkie out to put lights and sockets out to a shed so i was planning on following the same plan however he took power from a socket and i will be taking power from a light.

thanks anyway

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You cant take a socket from a lighting circuit anyway. Its unlikely you can feed the light just from the ceiling lights either, likely have to take a feed from one of the switches upstairs.

You could wire from a socket upstairs to put a socket in the attic, and a light could be wired from this via a switched fused spur, but its usually easy enough to wire from the lighting upstairs.

Sounds like you would be best getting electrician in again.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭jackreacher

sound advice robbie. ill get a pro back in

• Registered Users Posts: 40 xxtallaghtxx

Grab feed from common on the Light switch, neutral and earth from the light fitting. simple as

Grab feed from common on the Light switch, neutral and earth from the light fitting. simple as

Yes, simple for someone experienced at it. Where on the light switch or the light fitting will the OP connect the socket to then?

robbie7730 wrote: »
    Yes, simple for someone experienced at it. Where on the light switch or the light fitting will the OP connect the socket to then?

The terminal in the light switch is called common?
    If its a normal switch its the one on the bottom (usually) might even be labelled

• Advertisement

Oh and the socket can be pulled from any of the sockets in the house. Its in attic so wont be used that often anyway

The terminal in the light switch is called common?
    If its a normal switch its the one on the bottom (usually) might even be labelled

O right, i had an idea alright.

Oh and the socket can be pulled from any of the sockets in the house. Its in attic so wont be used that often anyway

No doubt this is easy for the average diy person as well. How often its used wont make it any easier to fit properly.

No problem

just for my own peace of mind was the sparky right to take a feed for lights and sockets off an existing socket?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

just for my own peace of mind was the sparky right to take a feed for lights and sockets off an existing socket?

He should not of taken the feed for the light off an existing socket. Are you sure he did? Lights in the attic are usually very easy to do cause you've access to all the lighting circuits quite easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

he may have fitted a switched fcu for light-which is acceptable

in my book it's preferable to have all the lights on lighting ccts

Its not too bad wiring a socket in the attic from a socket in a bedroom for example, and then wiring an attic light from this new attic socket via a fused spur though.

So if done this way, the switch for the attic light should have a fuse in it, it will have a little slot at the front of the switch into which a 3 amp fuse should be fitted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

I have no issue running a light from a fused spur in a shed etc, cause typically there's doors / windows to let light. So if the socket / RCD trips there should be other forms of light. In an attic it will probably be your only light source, if it goes it can get quite interesting ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭M cebee

I reckon the shed is one of the worst

he took power from an existing socket out to put in 4 x sockets and 2 lights in the shed.

he hasnt put anything in to the attic yet

Advertisement