Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

4 yr old son has bronchial cough

Options
  • 10-11-2011 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    My 4 year old son developed a whopper of a cough a couple of months back.
    We thought it was a cold/cough so got some calpol and cough medicine/glycerine for him.
    It didnt improve so we brought him to the doc.
    Doctor said he has/will have asthma (my partner suffers from it) and that it is a bronchial cough.
    He didnt suggest anything to relieve the cough or measures to take at night , i.e keeping his room cool, warm etc.
    Has anyone any tips or advice?
    The cough is really harsh and I feel so sorry for him.
    It doesnt seem to bother him that much as he is in really good form all the time but its killing me.
    Thanks
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭Ms. Captain M

You could try giving him some steam at night time. If it's going on a couple of months maybe bring him back to the doctor, maybe he could put him on a nebuliser. My son gets a croupy cough about once a year, and he always needs a steroid to clear it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,128 ✭✭✭cynder

All mine had and 2 still have it, bloody nightmare, now and then they need steroids, as of yet I've tried everything but no miracle cure.... They do grow out of it most of the time.

My boys ave been on a number of inhalers I'm getting somewhere with flixatide 125 and the blue ventolin inhaler. Seratide is brilliant but still not enough research done on it so my gp didn't give it to them again. Trial and error...... Vicks on the chest sometimes helps... But doesn't get rid of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Thanks so much for the replies.
    I will try vicks or a vaporiser or something.
    I was just disappointed that the doctor didnt offer any advice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

If you're not happy with your doctor go to another one.

We cannot offer medical advice on this forum.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement