Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Distinct lack of apps

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,917 ✭✭✭✭

Is anyone getting disillusioned with the distinct lack of APPS for the WP7s compared to whats out there for android/iphones?

I love the phone but the lack of good/interesting/funky apps has me pining for an android:(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,395 ✭✭✭AntiVirus

GT_TDI_150 wrote: »
    Is anyone getting disillusioned with the distinct lack of APPS for the WP7s compared to whats out there for android/iphones?

I love the phone but the lack of good/interesting/funky apps has me pining for an android:(

Not really, there's a few apps I'd like but when I sit here thinking about them none come to mine? Oh one just has :D

A proper Voip app that allows you to set your own sip settings. I don't need anything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I recently switched to WP7 coming from Android and I think the amount of apps WP7 is quite good, most of the main apps you find on Android are available on WP7 and some of them are a lot better.

I'm looking for a good Twitter app I do miss Tweetdeck that I had on Android but overall I'm loving the WP7 OS.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭GUIGuy

What apps are good/interesting/funky is personal opinion really. 40,000 apps on WP7 probably half a million on iOS/Android for all I know.

But most of the stuff on any platform is complete crap that not worth downloading. If there are 200 apps worth having I'd be surprised. I have all three and I have about the about 30 apps on each that cover broadly the same functionality:

Radio
    Social Networking
    Timetables & Booking (its a pain to navigate HTML sites)
    Maps/Navigation
    News/Magazines
    Games
    Utility

• Registered Users Posts: 13,540 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm not a huge app user. Sendu is useful, and bingle maps when I remember it. Shazam is great as well of course. I just dont know what kind of other apps I'd want to use really. Am not a gamer.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

Lightning that's the apple market that was referred to with the plethora of fart apps. Android has since caught up and now has loads of fart apps too tho.

The easy money is gone now, only quality apps get noticed. 99% of apps on any platform are garbage.

• Advertisement

srsly78 wrote: »
    99% of apps on any platform are garbage.

This is very true. Another pointless app that was a hit back in its day on the iphone was that beer drinking one where you tilted your phone and it looked like you where drinking the beer. That bloke made a fortune! :D

I don't think its out on Windows Phone just yet :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,277 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

Depends on the needs.

Its always good to go on www.windowsphone.com and have a look at all apps before buying the phone.

Most apps should be there as Microsoft did hire a group to help other app devs to port their "popular" apps in order to not to have customers not wanting to go to windows phone because theres a certain app missing.

Only thing im missing now is a good PSx emulator and an Official Sky+ app. The dev whos developing the current one is full of crap. If ya ever email him he just says theres no problem or theres an update close (back 2 months ago)

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Psx emulator thats a great shout! Id love to play some Die Hard Trilogy when sitting on the Luas.

Apparently emulators are finally allowed in the marketplace so maybe we will finally see some more development out there. There is a NES emulator in the marketplace already there. The only tricky part is to get the roms onto to it.

Put in the URL address for the rom download and it downloads it off the web.

Sony don't allow emulator on the android market (psx4droid was removed), but you think they will allow it for windows phone instead? :confused:

Also it's much easier to code for iphone and android, they both use opengl just like the original emulator, so not much work to do. Microsoft only present a limited silverlight api, much more work to port emulators to it.

Sony don't allow emulator on the android market (psx4droid was removed), but you think they will allow it for windows phone instead? :confused:

Also it's much easier to code for iphone and android, they both use opengl just like the original emulator, so not much work to do. Microsoft only present a limited silverlight api, much more work to port emulators to it.

Right OK. I heard it a 100 times from you...Boohoo windows phone 7 only allows silverlight and not opengl...Get over it now.

Im sure if some one wanted to, and wanted the money for it, they would make it, there's always one person or a team who go beyond and actually make something happen.

Where as everyone else just quits.

You know the magic of the code is that nearly anything is possible if you got the right tools and knowledge to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

I've got the same problem with my Crackberry...
    Absolutely love the phone but there just ist't as many apps available for it...

Evo your posts betray a serious lack of technical knowledge. That guy you are talking about is not writing the emulator, he is porting an opensource one. It's not impossible on windows, just a pain in the bollix.

Also did you miss the part about "it's not allowed for legal reasons"? How would a dev earn money off that?

Oh, and one thing I will say about windows phone, at least it's better than blackberry -.-

Donations...

You know the way most of home-brew community works.

The NES emulator that is in the marketplace right now was submitted, went through checks and got onto the marketplace. Previous attempts were all denied.

Well pain doesn't mean not possible. Im not saying it will happen now. WP7 is only picking up ground right now.

There are ways to run native arm code on wp7. Certain apps on the marketplace do that. Probably wouldn't be allowed at this point to any dev. But we will see in the future.

Either way im sure a PSx emulator will come along sooner or later...

Did you read the news about silverlight being discontinued?

Did you know microsoft refuse to support WebGL, so html5 games won't work on WP7?

Windows Phone is not an attractive platform for developers, and this comes from a developer that mainly works with microsoft stuff.

Did you know microsoft refuse to support WebGL, so html5 games won't work on WP7?

Windows Phone is not an attractive platform for developers, and this comes from a developer that mainly works with microsoft stuff.

Nah it comes from a whiner that always complains about everything. I think you should start working for a different company seeing as you dislike the platform.

As I said keep your opinions to yourself.

If it was that bad of a platform to make apps for...There wouldn't be 35k+ apps in the store.

Considering half of these arent sexy Chinese wallpaper apps i think WP7 is doing quite good. Which i couldn't say for android...

Malware, Insecurity, Unstable platform, fragmentation just a few things that come to your mind for Android.

Sorry one thing im not doing is going back to Android, ive always disliked apple. But id rather pick up an iOS device over android. That stuff just annoys my head, causes more problems than it solves.

Now go back to your Android forum.

Developers should keep their opinions to themselves :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

evolutionqy7: srsly78 is as entitled to give his/her opinion on WP7 as you appear entitled to give yours on Android. As such, you're in absolutely no position to demand that they refrain from giving it, let alone resort to name calling. Further behaviour of this nature will result in direct moderator action.

srsly78: This thread is on WP7. As such, while comparison to Android and other platforms is relevant (and indeed central to the initial post), comparison should not become a platform for evangelizing Android or simply an MS-bashing session.

To all: Please try to address the discussion objectively; pretend you are actually professional where it comes to the topic as opposed to a bunch of teenage fanboys, please.

Will keep that in mind :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Is there a good app for todo's with sub tasks, and rating by importance and category? On WP7?

BostonB wrote: »
    Is there a good app for todo's with sub tasks, and rating by importance and category? On WP7?

Try Tasks app. It doesn't have a sub to do. But you can make a project on it and add tasks to it. Sp sort of the same thing I think.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The only app I find missing is a cheaper more lightweight offline navigation app than the Navigon one.

Silverlight isn't being discontinued. There are rumours that the browser plugin will be discontued (in fact the initial rumours were that the browser would no longer be the main focus). IMHO Silverlight (which is just a stripped down browser plugin based version of WPF) is being repurposed to be native desktop development platform, as in WP7 and Windows 8 apps.

Regarding WebGL, MS have made it clear that they won't support this because of the security issues inherent in it.

BostonB wrote: »

Try Tasks Arranger,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭wheresmybeaver

Some of the "fun" (read: not useful but fun to play with) on my HD7:

Cocktail Flow - cocktails!
    Days Until Xmas - live tile and Christmasy tunes and digital snow!
    Grantophone - practically an actual digital instrument, great fun though
    Hypnotoad - No explanation should be necessary
    iDaft - You will play with this for hours
    Nyan! - My toddler is mesmerized by this
    PixelTV - Simple pixel animation, surprisingly fun
    Relaxify - Nice

All of these apps, bar Cocktail Flow, are also free and have no advertising, and are worth wasting at least a few hours of your time ;-)

stevenmu wrote: »
    Regarding WebGL, MS have made it clear that they won't support this because of the security issues inherent in it.

And yet everyone else is going ahead with it. Noone believes microsoft.

Android and Apple have restrictions on opengl-es for security (can't read framebuffer back, as malware could use it to spy on your screen), as does Apple. One would expect similar restrictions to be added to WebGL.

Advertisement