Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried about exams!

Options
  • 10-11-2011 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all, decided to finally end my days of lurking Boards and join ye.

Anyway, I'm in first year Law, and the upcoming exams are starting to scare me a little. I've looked at a few of the past exam papers, and thankfully there doesn't seem to be a massive range of questions they ask after semester one, but they aren't like anything we've been given before- we've only actually been given one joint essay to do all semester and haven't gotten feedback on anything.

Questions such as:
    Maeve Regan (Employment Law, 2009, p.30) states: “A number of tests have been developed and applied by the courts to ascertain if a person is an employee”. Discuss the development and application of these tests in Ireland in distinguishing an independent contractor from an employee.

While I feel I know a lot more about this area of law than any other area (I did a moot trial on this stuff), I have no idea how I would go about doing it I was sitting in the library with a few hours and a few books at my disposal, let alone 40 minutes in an exam situation! Aside from not knowing how long an answer like this should be or how it should be laid out, I just don't know what to say...

During the 6th year I had no problem doing sample questions and bringing them to teachers to get them corrected, but I kind of get the feeling you can't do that in university, so I kind of feel stuck... If anyone knows where I could maybe get sample answers on stuff like this or has any advice for me, that would be great!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,960 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

If your lecturer is at all worth their salt, they should have no problem taking a look at a sample answer to see if you're on the right track.

Are the tutorials on your module any good? I've assume they'd start giving tips and feedback on how do approach exams questions over the last couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,300 ✭✭✭freyners

Sandwiches wrote: »
    Hi all, decided to finally end my days of lurking Boards and join ye.

Anyway, I'm in first year Law, and the upcoming exams are starting to scare me a little. I've looked at a few of the past exam papers, and thankfully there doesn't seem to be a massive range of questions they ask after semester one, but they aren't like anything we've been given before- we've only actually been given one joint essay to do all semester and haven't gotten feedback on anything.

Questions such as:

While I feel I know a lot more about this area of law than any other area (I did a moot trial on this stuff), I have no idea how I would go about doing it I was sitting in the library with a few hours and a few books at my disposal, let alone 40 minutes in an exam situation! Aside from not knowing how long an answer like this should be or how it should be laid out, I just don't know what to say...

During the 6th year I had no problem doing sample questions and bringing them to teachers to get them corrected, but I kind of get the feeling you can't do that in university, so I kind of feel stuck... If anyone knows where I could maybe get sample answers on stuff like this or has any advice for me, that would be great!
    hey there

im doing law and acc and ive done a few of these type question

first give a background...how and why did this law develop problems created and how the courts/legislature amended it
    ..give examples of common laws rules..early legislation and case law that marked its development

give the current tests used to distinguish the two and how they are applied, what cases illustrate this

have bodies like the LRC reccommended any reforms, any criticism of the current position

as far as how much you write, as much as you know within the time limit. for forty minute essays i generally write about 3-5 pages but its what you say that counts. People can write ten pages of waffle but that isnt going to give them a good grade

you have plenty of time to sort yourself, ask your tutor what would be the preferred way to layout the question.

Advertisement