Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GPS Tracking device for kids/babies

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:30pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I have a 13 month old daughter and would like to buy some sort of tracking device where you put a band around her ankle or wrist, ideally there would be an app where you could track you kid on your iphone.

Anyone know if these exist?

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

They do exist but, they pose numerous security risks in that anyone can track your child.
    I would read up and learn about the technology 1st if I was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

unless you have very good reason to believe that your child may be abducted or kidnapped ( ie a parent without custody who may snatch the child) this seems very extreme. if however this is the case, talk to the guards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

No reason to think she'll be abducted just would like the piece of mind of checking the iphone to see where she is. Don't actually think it's extreme given how important one's kid is and how easy it would be to simply buy and put on their wrist or ankle.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭farmchoice

In my opinion electronically tagging a 13 month old with the intention of monitoring its movements is extreme. I don’t know your situation, but where is the child going when you don’t know where it is, the kitchen?
    The fact of the matter is once you start down that kind of paranoid road it can be hard to stop and draw back, in a few years time your child will be the only one in school wearing a tag , you will come to rely on the feeling of security as will you child, a false sense of security seeing as how as the child grows he/she and his/her friends will start to play with it swap it leave it in school in the swimming pool etc while you freak out.

Modern life is restrictive enough on children without tagging them, this is a slippery slope keep away from it, unless you have very specific security concerns it is way way over the top.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭Jerri Jordan

This is very extreme. OP if someone god forbid abducted your baby the first thing they would do would be remove the tag by whatever means necessary. Probably dumping it somewhere and sending you a wild goosechase. I understand your only trying to protect your child but if i had been tagged as a child now as an adult i think it would have damaged me mentally!

do you have an issue with trusting who is minding your child when you go to work or something? is this a control issue on your behalf?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,617 ✭✭✭Cat Melodeon

There's an app called Trackme Findme that does this sort of thing. Only problem is that it's designed to attach to an iphone, so you would have to attach an iphone to your child. For a proper GPS child tracking system, there's one called Amber Alert that is supposed to be fairly parent-friendly, or one called Worldtracker GPRS which is closer to the Jack Bauer/CTU experience with associated price tag. All of these systems rely on attaching a fairly bulky device to your child, so you'd want to be sure they are either incapable of removing it or are willing to cooperate with you.

I agree with most other posters that it's a bit unhealthy to be tracking a child like this. If there is no genuine reason for paranoia (unstable relationship, you and your family being a potential 'tiger kidnapping' target risk etc) you might want to consider talking to someone about your fears before they start affecting your child's quality of life.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

There's an app called Trackme Findme that does this sort of thing. Only problem is that it's designed to attach to an iphone, so you would have to attach an iphone to your child. For a proper GPS child tracking system, there's one called Amber Alert that is supposed to be fairly parent-friendly, or one called Worldtracker GPRS which is closer to the Jack Bauer/CTU experience with associated price tag. All of these systems rely on attaching a fairly bulky device to your child, so you'd want to be sure they are either incapable of removing it or are willing to cooperate with you.

I agree with most other posters that it's a bit unhealthy to be tracking a child like this. If there is no genuine reason for paranoia (unstable relationship, you and your family being a potential 'tiger kidnapping' target risk etc) you might want to consider talking to someone about your fears before they start affecting your child's quality of life.

Wouldn't bother with it if it was bulky. No more fear than anyone else, just think it would be good to have.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

I'm surprised by the hostility to this idea. The absolute worst feeling in the world is to turn around in a busy street or shop to find your youngest is not where you expected them to be. A tracker of some description will also cut out the distress a lost child will suffer. It's really a no brainer :confused:

OP, here's a few to look into including recommendations:
    http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2010/04/gpsmagazines_2010_child_tracki.php

I see they are trialling the use in Sweden for kids.
    http://www.breitbart.com/article.php?id=CNG.4da54275c5e829967a51a73342c78898.a1&show_article=1

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I do understand wanting to track your kids but I am more worried about the other people that could track your child and you via the tracker. When they are old enough to go out on their own they will have mobile phones and you can track them by them.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭The Rook

I think it’s a great idea and have looked at a few options myself. There’s one that I know of (will edit later with a link) where there’s a proximity sensor on it and when the gap between the receiver (adult) and transmitter (child) exceeds a pre-determined distance it emits a high pitched beep alerting you that the child is no longer around….

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,239 ✭✭✭KittyeeTrix

It's definitely not one for me..

I find it a bit excessive unless there are kidnap fears but sure each to their own!!:)

Would you only use the device when they were young OP or would you have an age at which you would remove it???

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

Seems a bit extreme to me? Each to their own and all that but how far can your 13mths old be from you at any one time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,395 ✭✭✭upinthesky

what a great thing never even new something like this exsisted i think all kids should have this

you read up about stories about children been abducted and murdered you just have fear for your children great item

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭binxeo

lisar816 wrote: »
    what a great thing never even new something like this exsisted i think all kids should have this

you read up about stories about children been abducted and murdered you just have fear for your children great item

Until the kidnapper just cuts it off and throws it away or worse yet puts it on a transport vehicle and has the cops going in the completely wrong way. If it was that fool proof every parent would have one and I am sure the government would have a campaign going to get people to have one for their kids. The only way this would work is if it was under the child's skin where a kidnapper wouldn't see it or be able to remove it. And getting your child micro chip is causing up roar in the states, it can be done but there are some civil rights groups against the idea and until it becomes acceptable in the states it won't happen here.

It is a good idea, in theory. Not having a go or anything but there are to many variables with the technology that is available at present.

Advertisement