Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Ken Blacks in carlow town?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 12:45pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭

in the old Ken Black store there wwas a bridal store in half of its floor. that closed down a few weeks ago and now there is a new store called KB toy store. Is this Ken Blacks???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

tonyheaney wrote: »
    in the old Ken Black store there wwas a bridal store in half of its floor. that closed down a few weeks ago and now there is a new store called KB toy store. Is this Ken Blacks???
    I wouldnt think so, I would think it is one of those awful CHEAP chinese toy stores that crops up around this time of the year. Those kind of shops are best avoided as they are rarely around in February in case santa presents fall apart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

foggy_lad wrote: »
    I wouldnt think so, I would think it is one of those awful CHEAP chinese toy stores that crops up around this time of the year. Those kind of shops are best avoided as they are rarely around in February in case santa presents fall apart.

Would be worth asking though. If Ken Black still owns the premises he might be reopening a shop there to make the most of the Christmas trade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

TheZohan wrote: »
    Would be worth asking though. If Ken Black still owns the premises he might be reopening a shop there to make the most of the Christmas trade.
    I would have expected some advertising of it if Ken Black's were moving back into town, and surely they would use the name Ken Black?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,686 ✭✭✭tonyheaney

my wife is Chinese..... and sorry but the majority of our toys are from such shops and they have out lasted byrnes toys. :mad:

TheZohan wrote: »

sounds likely, im off to kens today will ask

• Advertisement

I would have expected some advertising of it if Ken Black's were moving back into town, and surely they would use the name Ken Black?

Well if they're only going to have the shop for xmas then I can see why they wouldn't brand it Ken Blacks, people might think that they've shut down like Byrnes if they closed up after xmas. I wouldn't be surprised if there's a mail shot through letterboxes in the next week or so. Of course all of this is speculative. If the new shop has nothing to do with Ken Blacks it's a bit underhanded using the name "KB toy store" IMHO.

but the words "KB" is very odd choice if your not ken black

THIS IS KEN BLACKS!!!

I just made a call to kens just now and asked them if it was their store and when they plan to open.,

answer is yes it is and no there is not a date to open.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭patrickc

definitely Ken Blacks yep

also there are plans for an apple green petrol station and combined burger king outside carlow in the new year

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

patrickc wrote: »
    definitely Ken Blacks yep

also there are plans for an apple green petrol station and combined burger king outside carlow in the new year

What about the building across from the IT?

Is that not supposed to be a BK as well?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

super-rush wrote: »
    What about the building across from the IT?

Is that not supposed to be a BK as well?

No, that's probably just a CHEAP Chinese fast food joint...............

No, that's probably just a CHEAP Chinese fast food joint...............

no thats the new bus depo / petrol station

Not a drive thru? :( Thought someone heard from the horses mouth that it's a McDonalds/BK?

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭royston_vasey

Where did you hear this?

For nearly two years everyone has been told it is going to be a BK and don't recall seeing any additional notices regarding planning etc which I'm sure it would need if it is going to be dispensing fuel.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭lucylu

Where did you hear this?

For nearly two years everyone has been told it is going to be a BK and don't recall seeing any additional notices regarding planning etc which I'm sure it would need if it is going to be dispensing fuel.

True.. I doubt they would put a Fuel depot beside the barrow. I heard the company building the Drive thru went bust.

On a side note did anyone else hear that the newly upgraded lights and signage at Hanover Junction / Bus Park is getting another new makeover - what Carlow needs another nice shiny Roundabout :rolleyes: it is to start in the new few weeks.

lucylu wrote: »
    True.. I doubt they would put a Fuel depot beside the barrow. I heard the company building the Drive thru went bust.

On a side note did anyone else hear that the newly upgraded lights and signage at Hanover Junction / Bus Park is getting another new makeover - what Carlow needs another nice shiny Roundabout :rolleyes: it is to start in the new few weeks.

you now how they built the new path along the barrow track??? where the new road is going?? they need the same along the barrow track behind the bus depo

sorry does that make sense?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭tombull82

you now how they built the new path along the barrow track??? where the new road is going?? they need the same along the barrow track behind the bus depo

sorry does that make sense?

Did you mean the Burrin track/bank?

AFAIK The developer that is to build the new shopping center in Pennys/the Park on the KK road is contracted by PP to overhaul that whole stretch down the Burrin River as far as the NewOak football pitch. (if the new development ever get to go ahead that is :mad:)

Where have you been these last few years? :confused: practically everything is made in china now and cheaply also or at least the material is sourced from there.

Where did you hear this?

so its a coffee shop......:rolleyes:

i was in kens a few weeks ago and i noticed a lot of Smyths Toys stuff there like box's with the Smyths Toys brand on them i even saw an invoice with the logo. whats going on?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

i was in kens a few weeks ago and i noticed a lot of Smyths Toys stuff there like box's with the Smyths Toys brand on them i even saw an invoice with the logo. whats going on?

They are affiliated as far as I know, catalouges have been dual branded for years.

Turtyturd wrote: »
    They are affiliated as far as I know, catalouges have been dual branded for years.

So basically Smyths Toys Is Kens

• Registered Users Posts: 28,397 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

So basically Smyths Toys Is Kens

Pretty much but on a lesser scale...I have yet to come across a Ken Blacks with as big a selection as Smyths.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,594 ✭✭✭sandin

Ken Black and the Smyth brothers have known each other for donkey's years.
    Ken Black piggybacks on Smyths buying power but operates independently and has done so for as many years as I can remember. - Even the catalogue is branded Smyths/Ken Balck and the Late late toy show is also always thanks to Smyths/Ken Black.

btw congrats to smyths (100% irish owned) for opening their 35th UK store last week!

Advertisement