Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

finishing a sword

• 10-11-2011 12:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭

Does anyone know how to put a nice finish on a sword? I have a wire brush for the angle grinder but even though it brings up a shine its not really like, sword quality !! Ive been told wire wool does the job but is this wire wool you get in tescos for scrubbing pots or special wire wool? Id love to be able to polish it up and have it like new but just dont know how :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭was.deevey

I don't think you have given enough information on this TBH ...

1. What kind of sword
    2. What material is it made of e.g. Carbon Steel, Aluminum, Stainless steel
    3. Is it antique

You should NEVER use a wire brush / Steel wool on a sword for polishing regardless.

If its an antique, don't touch it ! .. although sounds like you already have.

If its a carbon steel blade you will need differing grades of polishing stones to do it right http://www.swordforum.com has lots of information on polishing.

If its stainless steel blade, wet & dry fine grit wet & dry sandpaper, lots of water, lots of patience and you can give it a quick "buff" afterwards with a polishing buffer for your angle grinder.

You'll start the sandpaper at the lowest grit and work your way up 600/800/1000/1200/1600/2000 (depends how polished you want)

If its aluminum .. use fine wet and dry paper like above and a lot of polishing after with buffer cloth (angle grinder is going to destroy it).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Thanks for the reply , its just steel , i made 2 short swords in my metal shop ! they are copies of Legolas' short swords from lord of the rings ! basically i made 2 beautiful shaped swords from scrap steel , its 3mm thick and also i plan to engrave them with the drimmel !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,720 ✭✭✭Sid_Justice

any pics?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Deise Musashi

Wet and Dry from a motor factors, 200 up to 2000grit if you can get it. Cut into strips and back with masking tape to lessen tearing.

Back it with a bit of flat stick or stiff plastic and poilish in one direction, then move to next grit and polish in another direction. When the new scratches have covered the first ones, move on to the next grit. Be a bit like going ///// then ===== then \\\\\ and repeat up through the grits.

At the higher grits you can use water or WD40 to lubricate the cutting to get a finer finish. You could then get some micro mesh and go for a full mirror polish.

IF you use a buffer BE CAREFUL! The buffer is the single most dangerous piece of kit a knife maker uses, good gloves, boots, eye protection and a heavy leather apron would be best. Honestly, the buffer is treachorous.

Machine buffing can also "wash out" your nice clean bevels you put on by hand, rounding your corners.

Have a look at this video, it's pretty much how to touch up a decent cutting sword, but not a valuable antique!

Advertisement