Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adoption stories-Flawless Films

• 10-11-2011 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello There,

You may be aware of a short series we produced for TV3 called “Adoption Stories”, which was broadcast in May of this year. (Here is the link to it: http://tv3.ie/shows.php?request=adoptionstories). The repeat is due to air on TV3 tonight at 7.30pm.

We've been commissioned to do a 6-part series as a result and am looking for people who would be willing to take part. Each episode is 22 minutes long and there will be 2 stories per episode.

I need to cover as many angles on adoption as possible to represent what the reality is, whether it's someone looking for their natural mother, a natural parent looking for their child, someone considering adoption now, someone who has adopted, and so on. If you've seen the previous programmes, you'll know we don't embellish, change or judge - it's just the person talking about their own experience.

Also, in terms of intercountry adoption, I would love to talk to someone who might be nearing the end of the process and is preparing to travel to their chosen country. I would like to feature this kind of story to show the general public, and people who are considering adoption, what the process is from Ireland, but more importantly, the desire to give a child a loving and secure home. I am not really interested in any legal or contentious issues, as it is not an investigative documentary or exposé – we really want the human, emotional angle.

I need this series to show as many issues as possible and would love the opportunity to chat to as many people as possible who may be interested in taking part or knows someone who might. If you would like me to clarify any points or expand on any aspect of it, I’m more than happy to do so.

Kind regards,

Aisling
    aisling@flawlessfilms.ie

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭Mfarr3ll

You really should be putting accross what way adopted children are treated in this country when they go to find out their real identity. The reality is my son when he is older could end up in a relationship with one of his nieces or cousins because i havent a right to my birth certificate nor to finding out my true identity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,483 ✭✭✭Ostrom

I would like to feature this kind of story to show the general public, and people who are considering adoption, what the process is from Ireland, but more importantly, the desire to give a child a loving and secure home. I am not really interested in any legal or contentious issues, as it is not an investigative documentary or exposé – we really want the human, emotional angle.

Adoption by definition is a legal issue; the 'human emotional angle' in all forms is a consequence of the way this legal framework has been constructed, without the input of the majority of concerned parties.

You have an ideal opportunity to capitalise on the momentum of the human rights commission report (which directly referenced reform of laws relating to discovery of documents), the ongoing issue of church societies' custody and arbitrary control of our records and the marginal rights of fathers.

The public respond more readily to a format such as yours - arguably much more so than the sterile way is is treated by shows such as prime time. You have an ideal opportunity to affect some real change here, and I sincerely hope you dont limit it by following the above remit.

Advertisement