Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Anti-Cybersquatting Organisations

• 10-11-2011 1:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

I am the vice president of a small charity and am in charge of recruitment.After spending a huge chunk of our meagre budget on some highend posters it transpired that a few days after they were printed some cybersquatter took over our.org website which was the main contact point on the poster.While our website is still intact it is way down the page when you google it.

A lot of our current and hopefully prospective members are relatively old and are not tech savvy and they are questioning if our charity is now defunct.The cybersquatter which appears to a US company just has random ads on it.I googled anti-cybersquatting organisations yesterday and found a legitimate one which had a uk contact number, a us contact number and a eu number.It seemed really professional.

However today I have been unable to find this organisation anywhere on the web.Could someone give me links to some legitimate anti-cybersquatting organisations and that would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,221 ✭✭✭BrianD

jon, you may also want to carry out an internal review as to how the domain was allowed to lapse (or if you ever had it).

Cybersquatters can't take over a domain unless it is available to buy in the first place.

If it's a .org domain you will probably want to go here: http://www.icann.org/en/udrp/

You should also have a word with your hosting provider for advice.

If your website is currently online, I presume that it's at a different URL?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭jonsnow

From what I can gather from the whois.com site the domain lapsed after 5 years and the squatters snapped it up pronto.

The charity is a subgroup of a national and international charity.Our website is still hosted on their international website and always was.The web address is very unwieldy which is why the .org site was set up as a gateway link into the website which is actually hosted on the international website.

I gather that we can purchase back the domain name for $11 which is probably the easiest approach but I want to be sure that we can then get back our domain name and I just want to talk through the options with somone in the know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

It's a little vague as to what the actual problem is without seeing what the actual domain itself is. But just a thought - I wonder is it simply the case that the domain (which from what you say has been allowed lapse) is now showing a 'parked' page by the dns/hosting provider. This is not particularly unusual if you haven't paid for a domain (allowed it to lapse) as technically you no longer own it.

If this is the case, then it probably is as handy to buy the domain and redirect it to wherever you wish it to point to (this assumes that the domain hasn't been bought in the meantime). It may not be a case of cyber-squatting per sé. Domain parking usually throws out either random or targeted google ads in order to generate a little ad-generated income on the basis of traffic which the lapsed domain may have had. With some hosting providers, this also happens with new registrations which haven't been commissioned.

Advertisement