Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Query about a product purchased at Argos which is exempted from the 30 day guarantee

Options
  • 10-11-2011 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi.
    A couple of days ago I bought an external DVD drive from Argos. I installed it my computer using the CD driver provided with the product but it made a total mess of my computer. After installing it, the new software prevented me from opening any of my music or video files without connecting to the Nero website and paying extra to download software "to enhance my viewing experience". I had to uninstall the whole thing before I could get my computer working properly again.

Unfortunately this product is exempted from the Argos 30 day money-back guarantee, and as the product wasn't necessarily faulty, I'm wondering where I stand. I don't want a replacement as I know that it will cause me the same problems that I experienced already.

I won't be able to return it until next week so I'd like some advice before I bring it back. Has anybody had any experience of returning electronic equipment to Argos in the past? Are they okay with refunds or credit notes? I know that strictly speaking they don't have to give me a refund or a credit note as the product wasn't necessarily faulty in itself. Thanks for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

DBCooper wrote: »
    Hi.
    A couple of days ago I bought an external DVD drive from Argos. I installed it my computer using the CD driver provided with the product but it made a total mess of my computer. After installing it, the new software prevented me from opening any of my music or video files without connecting to the Nero website and paying extra to download software "to enhance my viewing experience". I had to uninstall the whole thing before I could get my computer working properly again.

Unfortunately this product is exempted from the Argos 30 day money-back guarantee, and as the product wasn't necessarily faulty, I'm wondering where I stand. I don't want a replacement as I know that it will cause me the same problems that I experienced already.

I won't be able to return it until next week so I'd like some advice before I bring it back. Has anybody had any experience of returning electronic equipment to Argos in the past? Are they okay with refunds or credit notes? I know that strictly speaking they don't have to give me a refund or a credit note as the product wasn't necessarily faulty in itself. Thanks for any advice.

They really shouldnt be selling products that lead to the the consumer incurring an extra charge....!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

Bring it back to Argos and tell them it is not working properly as it has loaded a load of malware onto your pc which you may have to pay to have removed, ask that any replacement they give does not include any of this software.

Unfortunately they do not automatically have to give a refund but have the option of repairing or replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Tazium

The device itself is working or not?

You don't need any drivers installed if you are running XP or above. A good free burning tool is imgburn - http://imgburn.com/.

The issue experienced is from installing an accessory software that you would have had to acknowledge an EULA for. Nero is a good product too, but in my opinion it tries to do too much.

Good luck with argos, I've found them helpful when you act in a timely manner, had to return a DOA laptop about two years ago and despite the exemption they refunded as it was brought back next day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Just don't install the Nero media player software. If you need to install CD Writing software chose custom install and deselect everything except Nero Burning ROM and Nero Express. These are the only two pieces you will need. Everything else is superfluous. Alternately, after installation just set Media Player (or whatever you were using) back as our default application for media types.

You can't claim it's faulty if it's not. There's also no change of mind return as this item is exempt.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,067 ✭✭✭tallaghtoutlaws

Even if the OP installs Nero Media software all they have to do is go back into whatever software they used originally for Media files and set it to the default player again. Sounds like Nero's media player is setting it as default automatically. I use Nero 11 OP and it did the same to me but I went back into itunes for my music and re-set it as default and VLC for my movie files and re-set that as default. Nero's media player wont bother you again.

• Advertisement
Advertisement