Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is my DVD Drive failing, or does it just need a cleaning?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 1:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭

After my PC Died, been spending a lot more time on my Xbox than usual.

Last few days, the drive has become rather erraitc.

Will read some DVDs, but not others. All are spotless, or as near as.

Is there any point attempting to clean the lens in some way, or is this the onset of mechanical failure?

It's actually gotten quite little use since i bought it, hence the vaguely noobish questions.

Original HDMI unit from late summer 07 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Tinkerbell4484

wernstrom! wrote: »
    After my PC Died, been spending a lot more time on my Xbox than usual.

Last few days, the drive has become rather erraitc.

Will read some DVDs, but not others. All are spotless, or as near as.

Is there any point attempting to clean the lens in some way, or is this the onset of mechanical failure?

It's actually gotten quite little use since i bought it, hence the vaguely noobish questions.

Original HDMI unit from late summer 07 if that makes a difference.

Thanks

Is it saying open tray the whole time?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,743 ✭✭✭kleefarr

How old is it?
    I had a problem like that recently and luckily was still in the 2 year warranty period and they took it in for repair. Collection included.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

No harm in trying to clean the lens but it does sound like the beginning of the end for the DVD drive. I had the same a few years ago on an older model and replaced the drive myself as it was out of warranty. Very simple process.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,797 ✭✭✭ChopShop

kleefarr wrote: »
    How old is it?
    I had a problem like that recently and luckily was still in the 2 year warranty period and they took it in for repair. Collection included.

Aug 07. Well out of warranty.

bucks73 wrote: »
    No harm in trying to clean the lens but it does sound like the beginning of the end for the DVD drive. I had the same a few years ago on an older model and replaced the drive myself as it was out of warranty. Very simple process.

I was under the (mis?)impression that replacing it myself would get me punted off XBox Live.

It's been behaving itself a bit better the last few days...but it can still be pretty slow at reading discs that i know to be spotless....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,905 ✭✭✭bucks73

It all depends on what type of DVD drive your console has but it is possible to do it without getting the console banned.

http://www.xbox360forum.com/xbox-forum/threads/100003-Tuitorial-How-to-Replace-a-Faulty-DVD-Drive-without-flashing.

Probably worth getting a quote from Xbox Support on how much they would charge for replacing a dead DVD drive before opening it up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

The safest way to do it is to remove the logic board from your existing dvd drive (this has all the security & authentication things on it), & swap it into a brand new replacement drive.

This way there's no firmware flashing/drive key extraction involved & will not be noticed by MS. It does involve some simple soldering however.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

Do you find that you are having problems booting up games but no problems watching movies? if so you may need to perform a pot calibration. Not too hard to do but you will need to open your Xbox.

Vyse wrote: »
    Do you find that you are having problems booting up games but no problems watching movies? if so you may need to perform a pot calibration. Not too hard to do but you will need to open your Xbox.

These are almost always just a last ditched thing to try before a drive totally fails. They rarely last any real length of time before the problem manifests again.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Blue Shamrock

I have had a similar problem with my xbox thought it was dying on me but was out of warranty and have no technical ability to open it up so just left it and nearly 2 years later is still working just can take a long time to get some games to read.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,400 ✭✭✭Vyse

EnterNow wrote: »
    These are almost always just a last ditched thing to try before a drive totally fails. They rarely last any real length of time before the problem manifests again.

I did mine and it never failed again (that was until I got the RROD about 18 months later).

• Advertisement

Vyse wrote: »
    I did mine and it never failed again (that was until I got the RROD about 18 months later).

As I said, almost always. It's unusual that laser unit just decides it needs more power for no reason. They're usually on the way out at this point. You got lucky, for 18 months anyway :)

Advertisement