Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

Anyone know what the new shop opening beside extra vision is.

I see a new laundrette has opened on Mitchell street. The name over the door is Kens Cleaners

It's Mitchel St :p - one "l".

That cleaners is just another branch of The White Swan. They closed the one on Silver Street, and opened the one on Mitchel St.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

It's Mitchel St :p - one "l".

That cleaners is just another branch of The White Swan. They closed the one on Silver Street, and opened the one on Mitchel St.

It's Queen's Street. Ask Rody Boland.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭sam27

Before installing new e fibre, we had average speeds of 6mg and upload of 1 to 2 mg. Now the new speed averages 22/23 mg download and 8/9 upload.

These are just averages on laptop using wifi.

One word of caution, for general surfing the internet youll notice no real difference. But for like of using youtube etc the clip loads immediately .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭secondrowgal

sligojoek wrote: »
    It's Queen's Street. Ask Rody Boland.

Random stranger to Rody "Maggie Thatcher, Rody"
    Rody to random stranger "MAGGIE THATCHER!!!" *SPIT*
    What a man.

Actually, it's "Queen Street" too ;)

Janey mac... who's a thunk it!

Random stranger to Rody "Maggie Thatcher, Rody"
    Rody to random stranger "MAGGIE THATCHER!!!" *SPIT*
    What a man.

Actually, it's "Queen Street" too ;)

Janey mac... who's a thunk it!

He's still going. 94 last birthday.

"It's John F**king Mitchel st, Nenagh".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11 Moanyme

This is a strange question. Did anyone hear what sounded like a massive low flying helicopter over Nenagh last night about 12.10 am? Very deep bassey sound. Some glasses started shaking in the room and no it was not after a few jars :)

Moanyme wrote: »
    This is a strange question. Did anyone hear what sounded like a massive low flying helicopter over Nenagh last night about 12.10 am? Very deep bassey sound. Some glasses started shaking in the room and no it was not after a few jars :)

Was it near the hospital? I heard there was a young boy airlifted over the weekend. I don't know much more.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

I heard it. Figured it was a helicopter (my wife thought it was a plane). Hadn't a clue what it might be about.

sligojoek wrote: »
    Was it near the hospital? I heard there was a young boy airlifted over the weekend. I don't know much more.

Yes that could be it. Hope if it was that the boy is ok. This was in Gortlandroe and the helicopter must have been just above roof as glasses were vibrating.

We heard it also. Very loud noise & like a helicopter flying very low.

Didnt see it though

• Advertisement

E fibre flying it when connected via wire to modem

3020621463.png

sam27 wrote: »
    E fibre flying it when connected via wire to modem

3020621463.png

Nice isn't it. After waiting many years! We are getting similar to your wifi with 25 ping. Haven't tested the wired PC yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

fryup wrote: »
    whats that building at the entrance of the woodies buisness park...is it suppose to be a fast-food drive in?? surprised its lying dormant for so long
    The developer decided to build it because he had someone that agreed to take it as a drive thru pizza parlour, this was an off the wall idea for a town the size of Nenagh so its still empty.

is it ?? roscrea has a drive in mcdonalds so why not nenagh??

is there local objections or something going on behind the scenes...if i had the money i'd be tempted to invest in a drive-thru there

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

is there local objections or something going on behind the scenes...if i had the money i'd be tempted to invest in a drive-thru there

I Agree think one would do well there. must be something else going on.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 radagast

There are enough windows in that building broken at the moment :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Declan_de_Vito

A Nenagh thread on boards! Class! Just got fibre optic in too, fair handy!

Anybody on here big into Rock - Metal - Punk - Classic Rock music ??

New alternative club night launching next month in K2!! Playlisted music featuring bands from the above mentioned genres, live bands, beer pong and even some drink deals! Only costing €5.00 to get in!

Anybody be interested in attending ?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

The fact that the unit is built and unoccupied is proof enough that the main players ( MCD's, Supermacs, KFC, Burger King, Dominos, Eddie Rockets etc etc) don't think that the location is a viable option.

What you have to remember is the development as it stands bears no relation to what planning was granted for.

The planning permission included a Hotel, a Cinema, a Bowling Alley, a Town Park and 500+ Housing units not to mention the shops and light industrial units.

I'd love to see something in the building even a drive in restaurant but the costs to put a franchise into it are prohibitive. I didn't say a drive in was an off the wall idea, I said a drive in pizza parlour in a town the size of Nenagh was an off the wall idea.

Anyone start yet with Council with their Gateway Programme. ?

20 hours per week for extra €20 on top if Social Welfare. Costs County Council nothing!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

A Nenagh thread on boards! Class! Just got fibre optic in too, fair handy!

Anybody on here big into Rock - Metal - Punk - Classic Rock music ??

New alternative club night launching next month in K2!! Playlisted music featuring bands from the above mentioned genres, live bands, beer pong and even some drink deals! Only costing €5.00 to get in!

Anybody be interested in attending ?

They had something similiar in K2 before, Friday Rock night or something like that. While it was a good idea and I went to as many as I could, the idea never really took off.

Hopefully this will work out though, will there be a set playlist or can people make requests do ya know? I saw the FB page for it alright, maybe people can post/mail requests to the page before the night?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Declan_de_Vito

They had something similiar in K2 before, Friday Rock night or something like that. While it was a good idea and I went to as many as I could, the idea never really took off.

Hopefully this will work out though, will there be a set playlist or can people make requests do ya know? I saw the FB page for it alright, maybe people can post/mail requests to the page before the night?

Hey Dave

The reason most nights like this fail or die out is lack of promotion. My background is in promotion, has been since 16, currently 21 so I have a little experience in it :P

My hope is that the launch night is a success so we can go on as long as possible :)

As for your Suggestion, I was going to post up a status some time next week on the page asking people to request songs that they wanna hear!! Currently building a set playlist that we think will appeal to all tastes in the genres we will play.

If you have any questions/suggestions feel free to ask me over on facebook!

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Hey Dave

The reason most nights like this fail or die out is lack of promotion. My background is in promotion, has been since 16, currently 21 so I have a little experience in it :P

My hope is that the launch night is a success so we can go on as long as possible :)

As for your Suggestion, I was going to post up a status some time next week on the page asking people to request songs that they wanna hear!! Currently building a set playlist that we think will appeal to all tastes in the genres we will play.

If you have any questions/suggestions feel free to ask me over on facebook!

Cheers

Best of luck with it, hopefully it will kkck off to a good start and build from there.

I'm in Limerick the whole time but try get back most weekends so will do my best to get back for this.

Anyone have any thoughts on the proposed new wind turbine for P&G.

They have applied to the council for permission to build a wind turbine on the outskirts of Nenagh.

Its a commercial sized turbine and dwarfs the housing developments it overlooks.

Its proposed height is approx 430 feet or 131 meters.

Nenagh Castle is approx 100 feet tall.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

I read accurate or not that houses are located half a km away so will be pretty imposing and the noise levels will be interesting but will be readily available. On the other hand Its a €5m investment by an employer of 250 people and gives the company a reason to stay in the country as lower input costs by just under €900k will lead to a competitive edge for the nenagh plant against its competitors. The Company are currently undergoing a sourcing study so I hasten to say that a no will be 250 jobs gone. If those jobs go I dare say it will be a disaster for the whole town! The first 330 jobs have hit the town hard another 250 would really put the nail in the coffin. It will be very interesting!! I'm pretty sure the council won't want to lose that huge rate fee either but maybe they can afford it now the housing tax has doubled this year. All in all I can see both sides and personally I'm not effected directly so I will watch with interest. Its also worth mentioning that the castle is on an elevated site of approximately 30ft unless your looking at it from the courthouse!

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

I read accurate or not that houses are located half a km away so will be pretty imposing and the noise levels will be interesting but will be readily available. On the other hand Its a €5m investment by an employer of 250 people and gives the company a reason to stay in the country as lower input costs by just under €900k will lead to a competitive edge for the nenagh plant against its competitors. The Company are currently undergoing a sourcing study so I hasten to say that a no will be 250 jobs gone. If those jobs go I dare say it will be a disaster for the whole town! The first 330 jobs have hit the town hard another 250 would really put the nail in the coffin. It will be very interesting!! I'm pretty sure the council won't want to lose that huge rate fee either but maybe they can afford it now the housing tax has doubled this year. All in all I can see both sides and personally I'm not effected directly so I will watch with interest. Its also worth mentioning that the castle is on an elevated site of approximately 30ft unless your looking at it from the courthouse!

I have no attachment to either side of this issue. However I wonder would it be possible to do a renewable energy "swap". A company such P&G could pay / invest with Electric Ireland or Airtricity (or whoever) to install a wind-farm in a more suitable area and they receive the benefit of low cost electricity at the factory?

I agree that there is another option for P&G as you say bawn. Another problem is also that those affected that are closest will have their house prices devalued by this. Also, once permition is granted so close to houses a precedence is set and we all could be affected by this. It's a pity that P&G went with such a huge wind turbine. They could have applied for one with a more reasonable height. I believe there is a new bill proposed under which this height would require a 1.5 km distance. It looks like they just wanted to sneak this one in before this becomes law ( which will probably take a long time) ! Not very community friendly I think.

500 metres, where the height of the wind turbine is up to 50 metres
    1,000 metres, where the height of the wind turbine is up to 100 metres
    1,500 metres, where the height of the wind turbine is up to 150 metres
    2,000 metres, where the height of the wind turbine is greater than 150 metres

Nobody wants to loose jobs but P&G decided to go ahead with this large turbine even after all the community meetings when they did have other options. A compromise should have been made rather than now people feeling that it's either the jobs or the turbine.

bawn79 wrote: »
    I have no attachment to either side of this issue. However I wonder would it be possible to do a renewable energy "swap". A company such P&G could pay / invest with Electric Ireland or Airtricity (or whoever) to install a wind-farm in a more suitable area and they receive the benefit of low cost electricity at the factory?

AFAIK Ikea in Dublin have partnered up with a wind farm in Donegal, power enters the grid in Donegal and Ikea use it in Dublin.

I think the P&G turbine application for the particular location is wrong, its just too close to the town.
    If this application is successful it paves the way for other industries to apply for planning using P&G as the yardstick for their applications.

Imagine the scenario a turbine at Careys Glass ( weren't they turned down for their turbine a few years ago), a turbine at the meat factory, a turbine at the Abbey machinery plant, a turbine at the creamery where does it stop.

Paddy Hoare electrical had a small turbine at the back of their electrical premises in Silver Street a few months back and again AFAIK they were made remove it by the local council.

I don't know why they didn't put V.A.W.Ts. along the roof line of their factory, this wouldn't have interfered with anybody.

http://windivaenergy.com/index.php/vawt-2

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭pastense

P&G need to be told that devaluing property values of houses inside the distance limits has to be paid for in cash up front and then they can factor that into their numbers.

But the way we prostrate ourselves at the altar of multi-national tax avoiders, we will surely tell them to go ahead and put the losses of property owners within the distance limit down to hard luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,071 ✭✭✭Xenophile

The death has occurred of one of Nenagh's greatest sons, Fr. Alec Reid, you can read his obituary on many forums, I thinks it is appropriate on this forum to acknowledge the contribution this great man made to the politics and the peace process of Northern Ireland.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

saw a gatso van today on the R445 the old nenagh-limerick rd

80kph on that road, yet the road entering nenagh is 100kph:rolleyes:

Advertisement