Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,760 ✭✭✭DaveNoCheese

Any scandal around the town lately?? Was back for a total of maybe 20 mins over xmas :p

I like how xtravision is now near gamestop, handy for buying game and/or movies.

Haven't been out in Nenagh in just under a year too, nightlife still going strong??

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭GoOnYouDirt

Back home in our fair town over the Christmas myself! Thought X-Tra Vision was closed down at first glance! :D A Sportsmans Dream also got a make over! Didn't go in, but drove past... Looks good!

Nightlife? I havn't been out i Nenagh in over two years and certainly don't plan on it any time soon! It's the finest for a few pints but good lordy I wouldn't grace the Maxi-Pad for the life of me!

Have to say though the down is looking a lot more modernized these days which is great!

There was a great buzz around the place as well. Could just have been the Christmas spirit, but it was great all the same! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

A Sportsmans Dream has always been a rip off. Even a decade ago people said the same

Support your town they say. Support your local business.

Everything in that shop is overpriced

And customer service isn't exactly fantastic

I'd head to Limerick before going in there

There was a great buzz around the place as well. Could just have been the Christmas spirit, but it was great all the same! :D

When there is a buzz around town there is nothing like a pint in the Hi-B :)

Have to agree with you on price! Always a bit off the wall! Haven't been i there in an age!

Elvery's isn't an awful lot better, but in fairness not as bad!

Limerick isn't all that and a bag of chips either though!

If it's quality for money you're after these days you're better off shopping online, which isn't always the safest way of going about it!

But what can one do? :D

Online is safe once you stick to the well known sites

Sportsman Dream have never ever tried to compete with Limerick on price

Oh they are a Nenagh institution for sure and there would be a lot of talk if they ever closed but dammit, they are very pricy

• Advertisement

They are! I have to laugh when I go in there too though. It's very VERY VERYYYYYYY rare that you see a man working in there!

Well it was that way when I frequented the place! I mean it's a sports shop? I'm not getting all sexist or anything but you would think there would be more young lads working in there!

I find it strange!

How's Mama's doing these days? I just got a longing for a good bag of chips!

Mamas are still the best chips in town!!
    When Italy won their last football championship they were running up and down Pearse St with their Italian flag. Cool :D

Place is mobbed when the CBS, Tech & Convent are on lunch, always a sign of a popular place ;)

And they do a great business with the drunks, I was one many a time :p

Still the chipper of choice for town

Ahhhh my mouth is watering!!!

They're chips are the thing I miss most about Nenagh! And a good salad burger! *dies*

Mama's will always be the chipper of choice I think!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Mama's, Fryday's (?), Romano's and Supermacs - is that it in terms of burger/chip joints in Nenagh?

Mario's across from Tescos as well.

• Advertisement

Mario's across from Tescos as well.

How long has that been there? Any idea is it related to the Mario's in Thurles?

jprboy wrote: »
    How long has that been there? Any idea is it related to the Mario's in Thurles?

Tis there a few years at least and I have no idea to be honest with ya mate... Only ever stopped in there for a quick bite when I was going to the offo next door :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

I hear that Nenagh is to get its first Pawn shop ( I said Pawn).

It appears that Kickham Street/Banba Sqare area is getting a new Pawn Shop.

Its supposed to open in the next two weeks in the old half price ink building on Rockys side of the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Great, we can buy back the stuff that gets robbed from us :)

On a serious note, a pawn shop could do very well.

Great, we can buy back the stuff that gets robbed from us :)

On a serious note, a pawn shop could do very well.

I think it will do well if its a cash converter type outlet, I know a person in Limerick that buys all his electronic goods at the one near the railway station.

Maybe they'll do really well and become well known around the town and we'll have a very own pawn stars :pac:

...I'll get my coat

Maybe they'll do really well and become well known around the town and we'll have a very own pawn stars :pac:

...I'll get my coat

take your time, its two weeks from opening + coats are only worth a few quid

Free car parking in car parks on Saturdays starting this coming Sat Feb 2. Doesn't apply to on-street parking.

http://www.nenagh.ie/news/article/free-car-parks-on-saturday

Free car parking in car parks on Saturdays starting this coming Sat Feb 2. Doesn't apply to on-street parking.

http://www.nenagh.ie/news/article/free-car-parks-on-saturday

This should make a difference to the business people around the town, Tuesdays and Saturdays are consistently the worst days for trading in Nenagh.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Unfortunately the ink refill shop seems to have closed down (only recently moved to silver street) which is a real pity, I dont think there is any other refill shop in nenagh?

On a positive note (ish) I hear abbey machinery is relocating to a site near toomevara, u have to fancy with a move like that there might be some new jobs in it.

Trying to think of any other new shops in the town, a new centra type shop has opened across from jkcs, the jeans store has moved to a new premises, seems to be a lot of shops moving, you have to fancy that rents are becoming more competitive

• Advertisement

I see the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe has been closed for the last few weeks.

Anyone know the story here?

I see the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe has been closed for the last few weeks.

Anyone know the story here?

I thought that was a bit odd, thought they were going fairly alright, they had the dci card as well which you would fancy would bring in a good bit of business

I think this shop closed as a direct result of the Aldi factor.

The profit margins on petrol are tiny so they were depending on people buying other items.

Its hard for a small shop like that to compete with the prices being offered in Aldi.

bawn79 wrote: »
    On a positive note (ish) I hear abbey machinery is relocating to a site near toomevara, u have to fancy with a move like that there might be some new jobs in it

This is interesting, you'd have to wonder why after these years in Nenagh they'd move to Toomevara.

I have heard rumours that an investment group is trying to buy O Connors shopping centre maybe they're also interested in the Abbey Machinery property.

I think there is another new shop going into the shop unit on Gortlandroe where the Polish shop opened a few months back.

If rumours are to be believed the laundrette on Silver street is to close and a new laundrette is to open at Mulrooneys Garage across from Tescos.

An old business premises which hasn't been used for several years (was a garage/tyre fitter?) in Tyone (on the left just after the railway bridge as you go out the Thurles road looks like it's undergoing renovation.

Anyone know what's planned for here?

This is interesting, you'd have to wonder why after these years in Nenagh they'd move to Toomevara.

I have heard rumours that an investment group is trying to buy O Connors shopping centre maybe they're also interested in the Abbey Machinery property.

I think there is another new shop going into the shop unit on Gortlandroe where the Polish shop opened a few months back.

If rumours are to be believed the laundrette on Silver street is to close and a new laundrette is to open at Mulrooneys Garage across from Tescos.

It would be great if they did (re O Connors) - but what would you put there?

I hear that the new free newspaper The Tipperary Update is moving into the above shop unit you mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Saw 2 UPC vans in Nenagh this evening. They finally setting up in Nenagh, I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭Iamhere

I would be surprised if they were adding a cable service to Nenagh, i contacted them last year and they had no plans at that stage. The vans could be for their MMDS customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,081 ✭✭✭unnameduser

Unfortunately not Joe. We seem to be a long way away from public fiber in Nenagh.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

thought as much, Lucky we have DSL at this stage. Any news on Sky Broadband offering, Heard it will be using the BT backbone? Is Nenagh Exchange enabled?

Advertisement