Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nenagh Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

jprboy wrote: »
    An old business premises which hasn't been used for several years (was a garage/tyre fitter?) in Tyone (on the left just after the railway bridge as you go out the Thurles road looks like it's undergoing renovation.

Anyone know what's planned for here?

I can answer my own question on this one now.

Was passing there yesterday morning and saw Husqvarna signs up.

There's a Husqvarna place in Stereame so not sure if this is a move or an additional outlet.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭gabbytheking

Went for a hair cut today and found that Gemini Unisex Hair Salon had closed! It was based up the road from Morgan for men. Used to head up there as it was generally walk in and get a hair cut if not used to head to MFM. The owner was lovely too!!

Re Fibre Optic and UPC hopefully see this article from Guardian re Eircom Next Gen coming to nenagh only on the paper last week not sure about UPC though http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/search-articles-detail.php?article=ORDI3L

Plus did ye know nenagh has a full fibre underground network set up it just has to be connected to the national grid. Pure ridiculous really!! See extract "However, the underground fibre optic networks, installed at a total cost of over €4 million in the three towns almost three years ago, are still lying idle as they have never been connected to a national network. " Its 6 years now pure mind boggling stuff.

I believe they are waiting for somebody to connect them and pay the price for same. This is the article from 2010 in the Guardian if you have any interest http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=0TTAWT

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

irelandjoe wrote: »
    thought as much, Lucky we have DSL at this stage. Any news on Sky Broadband offering, Heard it will be using the BT backbone? Is Nenagh Exchange enabled?

Yes.

Any area that BT or Vodaphone have offered broadband services in the past should be able to avail of any sky broadband offerings to the Irish market.

BT enabled many of the exchanges with their equipment before selliing the contract to Vodaphone, and Sky are now using Vodaphones network to sell their package.

I remember in the not to distant past BT would be able to offer you up to 8MB broadband and Eircom could only offer up to 3MB, because when BT entered the market here they installed their own cabinets into Eircom exchanges.

Thankfully Eircom have upgraded most of the exchanges around the country.

Re Fibre Optic and UPC hopefully see this article from Guardian re Eircom Next Gen coming to nenagh only on the paper last week not sure about UPC though http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/search-articles-detail.php?article=ORDI3L

Plus did ye know nenagh has a full fibre underground network set up it just has to be connected to the national grid. Pure ridiculous really!! See extract "However, the underground fibre optic networks, installed at a total cost of over €4 million in the three towns almost three years ago, are still lying idle as they have never been connected to a national network. " Its 6 years now pure mind boggling stuff.

I believe they are waiting for somebody to connect them and pay the price for same. This is the article from 2010 in the Guardian if you have any interest http://www.nenaghguardian.ie/news-detail.php?article=0TTAWT

This is interesting because, I have heard before that the ducting for this fibre optic network was installed in the towns mentioned in the article but not one foot of cable has been installed.

Apparently there was one company contracted to lay the ducting and another company contracted to install the fibre optic cable.

All the ducting has been laid but then the money for the cabling wasn't sanctioned by the government.

AFAIK the cable being installed at the moment is using the ducting installed several years ago. It wouldn't make any sense to have two separate fibre optic networks, one dormant and one active.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭bawn79

Shoe shop on Mitchell St is having a closing down sale unfortunately.

Seems to be a bit of activity at the former medical premises across from the Credit Union.

Doesn't seem to be much going on in the rumoured pawn shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭jprboy

Passed by the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe earlier this evening and looks like it might have re-opened or at least was being prepared for this.

jprboy wrote: »
    Passed by the Gala Shop/Great Gas Filling Station in Gortlandroe earlier this evening and looks like it might have re-opened or at least was being prepared for this.

I wondered about that, I figured with a reasonable rent it would have to be viable (I used get diesal there myself as it took the DCI card). Good to see it reopening.

I think the real problem with this Filling Station is/was its proximity to the Centra shop across from Romanos. This looks to me to be doing a great trade as a convenience store (even with Aldi less than a km away). Probably the only one opening late in Nenagh (besides Tesco I guess).

Went for a hair cut today and found that Gemini Unisex Hair Salon had closed! It was based up the road from Morgan for men. Used to head up there as it was generally walk in and get a hair cut if not used to head to MFM. The owner was lovely too!!

I spoke with the owner of Gemini Hair Salon today, she was shocked that her business was listed here as closed.

Her business is open and trading and by the looks of things today she is doing a very well.

bawn79 wrote: »
    Shoe shop on Mitchell St is having a closing down sale unfortunately.

Sign in the window of this premises indicating that a new shoe shop will open soon.
    Doesn't seem to be much going on in the rumoured pawn shop.

I passed this premises today and all work seems to have come to a standstill.

• Advertisement

I see Slattery Tiles are preparing to open in the old Tile Market shop at Springfort retail park.

There also seems to be some activity in the unit between Woodies and Aldi.

I see Slattery Tiles are preparing to open in the old Tile Market shop at Springfort retail park.

There also seems to be some activity in the unit between Woodies and Aldi.

Thats good news - I spotted that sign in the shoe shop on Mitchell St as well. I wonder is it the same person reopening or someone else.

Seems to be a bit of activity at the former medical premises across from the Credit Union.

Barber shop going into this premises.

Barber shop going into this premises.

Thats interesting, I've never been in that building but the front of it looks great. Could make for a really great shop front if done right.

How did the parade go the weekend?

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭irelandjoe

Apart from being freezing it was good, kids enjoyed it.

Looking for Ride on mower, I know the are a few places in Nenagh selling them, anyone know anyone selling one second hand ?

I spoke with the owner of Gemini Hair Salon today, she was shocked that her business was listed here as closed.

Her business is open and trading and by the looks of things today she is doing a very well.

:confused:God i'm so sorry. I went there on a Saturday and it was shut. Must just have been a once off or something. I just assumed when the building was for sale for ages and it was closed on a Saturday that its was gone. Apologies to her. Must look again during the weekend. Doesn't matter to much to me anyway hair is almost gafunked!!!

Spotted a builder fitting out a shop across from the Well on Mitchell St last night. Don't know if that means someone has leased it out or if they are trying to make it more letable. More than likely the former.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,632 ✭✭✭ormond lad

Hermitage Green playing in the Talbot tonight. Should be good crowd in at that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Quick question about broadband in Nenagh.

What providers are you using? Eircom/Vodafone/Sky/Magnet etc
    What kinda speeds are you getting?

Will be moving here in the next 6 months, and at the moment it looks like we will be moving up to Summerhill.

I am just doing some research at the moment, so any recommendations based on your experiences would be grateful,

Thanks

I am about 3 Km outside the town and am on the Nenagh exchange. I am on Vodafone 7mb and get good 5/6mb stedy with a good ping. the nenagh exchange will also support the SKY / BT network, Interested to see how that compares. Was tempted to move to Sky but VF working okay for me at the moment.

here is my speedtest

http://www.speedtest.net/result/2615702298.png

2615702298.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Thank you Joe, exactly what I was looking, do you know where the exchange is in Nenagh?

I believe it is in by the old Barracks on Summerhill

I'm with Imagine/WiMax and get approx 2mb download on a 7mb Unlimited download €27.50 connection with home phone. Different times of the day it can be better but never too bad. Takes about 2 hours to download a 1gb torrent. Upload speeds pretty basic. Start up costs in the summerhill area will be €150 as I'm in the same area as your thinking of moving into. Vodafone looks impressive but alot more expensive if you like to download pm me if you have any queries. O2 are good too if download limit isn't a factor!

Spotted a builder fitting out a shop across from the Well on Mitchell St last night. Don't know if that means someone has leased it out or if they are trying to make it more letable. More than likely the former.

Anyone any further info on this place? A lot of work going on and it looks nearly ready to open. I still can't figure what is going into it.

The shoe shop on Mitchell St has reopened. Nice facelift done to it.

Anyone any further info on this place? A lot of work going on and it looks nearly ready to open. I still can't figure what is going into it.

The shoe shop on Mitchell St has reopened. Nice facelift done to it.

New shoe shop looks great, the premises at the end of the street that you're asking about is going to be a beauticians. (AFAIK its not a new one just an existing business moving to a better premises).

Something Else (sold all kinds of everything) based at O Conners site closed yesterday 12/04/13.

Something Else (sold all kinds of everything) based at O Conners site closed yesterday 12/04/13.

I saw that it was disappointing! Bought our cot in there, its done 2 kids for €50.

• Advertisement

Boscoirl wrote: »
    Quick question about broadband in Nenagh.

What providers are you using? Eircom/Vodafone/Sky/Magnet etc
    What kinda speeds are you getting?

Will be moving here in the next 6 months, and at the moment it looks like we will be moving up to Summerhill.

I am just doing some research at the moment, so any recommendations based on your experiences would be grateful,

Thanks

If you haven't committed to a provider of broadband yet, keep in mind that eircom will be offering a free upgrade to all their broadband customers, when they roll out fibre optic (cable) broadband.

Nenagh has just had the cable installed so it shouldn't be long before the roll out.

Advertisement