Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

C Program to read from another file and print to screen

Options
  • 10-11-2011 2:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭

I am writing a C program to ask a user for the file they want to see the text from. Then the program reads the file and prints to the screen.

I've written this but whilst it compiles the program will only ask for the file, then when this is input it will do nothing, the file I'm trying to open exists (I'm trying it with a file called TextFile.txt which I've saved in the same area as this program). Any advice would be gratefully received.
    #include<stdio.h> 
    int main()
    {
    	FILE *fopen(), *fp, *fprint;
    	int letter;
    	char fname[80];
    	printf("Please enter the name of the file you wish to open: ");
    	gets(fname);
    	fp=fopen (fname, "r");
    	letter = getchar();
    		while (letter != EOF)
    		{
    		putchar(letter);
    		letter=getchar();
    		}
    return 0;
    }

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

You should use char for the letter not int. A char is byte, a integer is 4 bytes normally.

Without looking into it too far I think this may be a problem.

• Registered Users Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

why have you got this line -

FILE *fopen(), *fp, *fprint; ?

remove *fopen(), as fopen() is a method name

FILE *fp, *fprint;

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

Thanks both. I did both of those things but I still have the same problem.

I'm completely new to this so I'm a bit confused, my lecturer said "letter" had to be an int because the EOF thing is -1 so a char won't work with it?

Annoying thing is I have FOUR programs like this which I need to submit, but the four won't work cos I'm doing something wrong and can't work out what lol.

Sorry yes you are correct. So what happens. Have you set break points? Step throguh the code and see what's happening.

Edit: Just noticed. Getchar is getting a character from STDIN (keyboard) and not the file.

Use
    fgetc(fp);

Instead

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭The Crab

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Sorry yes you are correct. So what happens. Have you set break points? Step throguh the code and see what's happening.

Edit: Just noticed. Getchar is getting a character from STDIN (keyboard) and not the file.

Use
    fgetc(fp);

Instead

Perfect, thanks! I'd have been working at that for hours and wouldn't have known.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,534 ✭✭✭FruitLover

FYI, a char should work for 'letter' as long as it's signed. Whether a char is signed by default or not is dependent on implementation, but usually it's signed (force by declaring 'signed char' just in case).

FruitLover wrote: »
    FYI, a char should work for 'letter' as long as it's signed. Whether a char is signed by default or not is dependent on implementation, but usually it's signed (force by declaring 'signed char' just in case).
    255 would be the -1 then in this case but what if you want the character 255 "ÿ". Unlikely I know :)

Advertisement