Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bottling and Carbonation problems

Options
  • 10-11-2011 3:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭

I recently bottled my first batch of beer (Coopers Mexican Cerveza). That was coming up on two weeks ago. The bottles however do not appear to have carbonated.

There were a number of possibilities that I had considered.

1. The room was too cold. The temperature in the room has definitely dropped a couple of degrees from when the fermentation took place. While I did cover the bottles with the blanket that I had used for the fermenter, I imagine that they are not as well insulated and the lack of initial fermenting activity would mean that there's no heat initially to keep in.

2. I had put just over half a teaspoon of glucose in each 500ml bottle, which was what was recommended on some sites that I had read. I've since read other sites that suggest that more is needed. I didn't use a priming bucket, and was a little concerned that as I filled each bottle there was a lot of foam, and that perhaps this may have had an adverse effect on carbonation. I now have plenty of buckets and will use priming bucket in future.

3. I have since read that some kits recommend that some lees be put into the bottles at bottling. I had used a secondary fermenter and therefore a most of the residue was left behind in either the primary or secondary ferementers. I'm now thinking that perhaps I've been too diligent in extracting the yeast residue and that it was needed for priming.

4. The capping of the bottles wasn't as easy as I had thought. Some of the caps took a few goes to get to stay on. I inverted each of the bottles about a week in, and while a couple of them did leak a little, the rest did not. One made a fizzing noise which suggested that there was at least some activity going on, and also that the cap wasn't sealed correctly. But most of the bottles didn't leak. I'm concerned however that the capping may not have sealed the bottles correctly.

I guess a hydrometer reading from a bottle will show whether it has fermented and the gas has simply escaped, or whether there hasn't been any further fermentation. But in the event that they are sealed properly, then I'm wondering what is more likely to be the reason for the failure to carbonate, the temperature, the sugar levels or the yeast content?

Also, wondering whether any of the above problems can still be resolved. I've read elsewhere that adding yeast and re-bottling in better conditions can save the batch from being flat.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 bc_lk

There should be plenty of yeast in the beer. 1/2 tsp per bottle sounds spot on. You can't rush brewing don't believe all you read on the tin estimated brewing times can be way off.

if you want try rolling the bottles gently on a table top to re-rouse the yeast (you don't need to shake) and put them away at room temp ( min 16c unless you are maturing lager), they will carb up eventually once the yeast is happy, provided they are in a clean SEALED bottle....

I usually fill a few 500ml Coke bottles when bottling brews, it helps me keep an eye on how the brew is carbing up, after a week or two the coke bottle should pretty hard to squeeze. if its still soft usually you need to move the brew to a warmer spot. once the coke bottles are hard you can start guzzling or put the brew away to mature

think you just need more time...

B

Advertisement