Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What Stereo-HiFI system do you listen to music on

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭lewisdhead

I have a Pioneer system that has a turntable, tuner(which died about 2 years ago), amp and double tape deck and a 2 tray cd player. I bought it when I was 18 in 1987 for €500 (punts). Apart from the radio it still works fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Have the following Technics system and Stanton t.62 turntable connected through a Peats preamp, Technics sounds fantastic it has a great kick in the bass and midrange, got it for 650 euro 5 yrs ago, Stanton is new cost 159 euros to replace Sony Turntable, I mostly listen to vinyl nowadays:

48e51.jpg

eaf50.jpg

lewisdhead wrote: »
    I have a Pioneer system that has a turntable, tuner(which died about 2 years ago), amp and double tape deck and a 2 tray cd player. I bought it when I was 18 in 1987 for €500 (punts). Apart from the radio it still works fine.

I bought a Aiwa system in 1988 for around 600 punts, (turntable, amp, cass deck, speakers) I gave the amp, tuner and speakers to one of my mates when I got my Technics 5 yrs ago he still has it and it sounds great, those old ones were really built to last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

Arcam A65 Amplifier, Arcam CD72 CD Player, Clearaudio Emotion Turntable, Clearaudio 'Smart Phono' Phono Stage, Kef Q Speakers on B&W Stands, a systems that has served me well so far, but now I'm thinking of upgrading the Amp and cables a bit to get some more sound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

IMG20110805_003.jpg

I use an old Toshiba turntable, Toshiba amplifier, JVC cassette deck and I have a JVC hi-fi unit on top of that. I usually connect the JVC hi-fi to my amp with a headphone to phono cable to listen to CDs. It's certainly not the ideal way to do it but I'm on the lookout for a decent CD separate at the moment. I can also hook up my ipod to the amp with the headphone to phono lead, I listen to a lot of music that way and the sound is pretty decent. It's not the best setup but it's good enough for me.

IMG20110805_002.jpg

My amp has connections for two pairs of speakers so I have my Wharfedale speakers and my smaller JVC speakers that I got with my JVC hi-fi.

• Advertisement

Zero1986 wrote: »
    IMG20110805_003.jpg

I use an old Toshiba turntable, Toshiba amplifier, JVC cassette deck and I have a JVC hi-fi unit on top of that. I usually connect the JVC hi-fi to my amp with a headphone to phono cable to listen to CDs. It's certainly not the ideal way to do it but I'm on the lookout for a decent CD separate at the moment. I can also hook up my ipod to the amp with the headphone to phono lead, I listen to a lot of music that way and the sound is pretty decent. It's not the best setup but it's good enough for me.

IMG20110805_002.jpg

My amp has connections for two pairs of speakers so I have my Wharfedale speakers and my smaller JVC speakers that I got with my JVC hi-fi.

Looks like a great setup, I'm jealous! The only weak link would be coming out on phono from cd player as you said. You could pick up a decent player for very little on Adverts or Gumtree, a few good ones on there now between 30 and 100 euros.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 870 ✭✭✭Jagle

NS10's, Genelec 8050's and akg k701's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭Custardpi

A mixture of old & very old, with one exception:

Nad 302 amp
    Marantz cd63ki cd player
    Thorens TD150II Turntable
    Sony STSE500 Tuner
    Bowers & Wilkins DM1 Speakers
    Bantam T Amp as Headphone Amp
    Goldring DR100 Headphones

Taken me a good while to put it together, pretty happy with it but if I get some cash together (stony broke at the moment) I might change the amplifier, maybe get a valve amp, which are apparently class with the speakers I have.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 550 ✭✭✭earpiece

Here's my little simple techie rig:

Homemade Amp:D
    Arcam Alpha 8 CD Player
    Arcam Alpha 8 Tuner
    Sony MiniDisc JE480
    Technics Tape deck
    And:
    A pair of Ckspeakers Delling.

Run the TV through it all too...... better than most surround sound systems I've heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 316 ✭✭viperirl

Kharma 3.2fe Speakers
    Airtight ATM2 Valve Amp
    Wadia 861i CD player (to be replaced soon)
    Clearaudio Performance SE Turntable
    Pro-ject Tube SEII Phonostage
    Creek OBH21 Headphone amp
    Grado 80 Headphones

Took a few years to get there but so worth it in the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,977 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Technocentral, what is the power output of your Technics?

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Technocentral, what is the power output of your Technics?

360 watts I think, have a small apartment so more than enough for me, I never switch on subwoofer as the 2 main speakers have more than enough bass.

360 watts I think, have a small apartment so more than enough for me, I never switch on subwoofer as the 2 main speakers have more than enough bass.

Very impressive. I'd say with the volume turned up high, it would still provide clear sounds.

Jordan 191 wrote: »
    Very impressive. I'd say with the volume turned up high, it would still provide clear sounds.

It is very crisp and clear at loud volumes, the only thing I would change is I would have spent more money on a better turntable if I wasn't so broke, in fact if your interested those Technics system are always cropping up second hand on adverts and other sites for around 2 - 300, very worthwhile if your looking for a decent system.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Hardly use the proper hi fi any more I have to admit, so much stuff on my PC these days, though I can run a line from the I/O to the amp of course.

It is very crisp and clear at loud volumes, the only thing I would change is I would have spent more money on a better turntable if I wasn't so broke, in fact if your interested those Technics system are always cropping up second hand on adverts and other sites for around 2 - 300, very worthwhile if your looking for a decent system.

I might take a look at them sometime. Shame the brand is extinct now just like AIWA.

I usually listen to music on the PC or the micro hifi in my bedroom.

But today, I fired up an AIWA NSX-AV90 5 speaker model today. Didn't use it in years. CD player only works when it wants to, tape decks are screwed, but the amp and the sound is amazing. BBE sound enhancement is amazing. If I can sort out the cd player, I would use it on a more regular basis.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

Mine is mostly on a PC via Creative xfi fatality card through surround sound. But for cd audio this is what I use :
    dm50.jpg

Denon have a very good build quality imo.

Advertisement