Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Combe, Dublin 8

Options
  • 10-11-2011 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

I am really interest in living in D8. A few apartments have become available recently (which I will view next week) in St Lukes Gate. Is the area safe especially around Lukes Gate? Is the walk from there to Stephens green also safe day and night? I read a few years ago that were a lot of junkies around the area- is this still the case?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

I live close by, the area is grand. If you are facing the road it can be noisey with traffic and sirens.
    You have Meath st/Thomas st near by for shopping, and there are two Lidls also. One cork st, the other Thomas st. And a good offy on Francis st.
    You have Fallons pub around the corner for a good Guinness and the Thomas house for punk music and cheap pints.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭vangough

Thanks man! How long a walk is it to St Stephens green from there? And is the wak safe day and night? Have you any idea what kind of people would live in Lukes Gate? I am signing a one yr lease and dont want to be stuck next to scum for the year!

Cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭iambrazil

vangough wrote: »
    Thanks man! How long a walk is it to St Stephens green from there? And is the wak safe day and night? Have you any idea what kind of people would live in Lukes Gate? I am signing a one yr lease and dont want to be stuck next to scum for the year!

Cheers!

I lived in St. Luke's Gate for a year before moving to London recently. Never had any trouble with any tenants...mixture of young couples and some families mostly from what I could tell. As far as I remember I never even heard a party going on there.

10 minute walk to Stephens Green - never had any trouble at any time or over another 4 or 5 years spent living in and around the area.

The Roma takeaway just by St. Luke's Gate is amazing too - great, friendly staff with excellent chips and pizza.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

I used to live across from Luke's Gate. They looked like lovely apartments (always got the impression they were well-built and a bit posh). I was on the street side where I was living (as in, on the Coombe) and it's actually quite quiet on that street since Luke's Avenue has taken most of the traffic.

I absolutely love that area, and would move back in a flash if I could. I never had any trouble, and the market in Newmarket and the shops on Meath Street, with Lidl on Thomas Street on Cork Street, and Fallons pub on New Row South/The Coombe, means you pretty much don't have to leave the area at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭psychward

vangough wrote: »
    How long a walk is it to St Stephens green from there?

You can use the Dublin Bike scheme to take a bike from the Christchurch end of Thomas Street and park it very close to Stephens Green. It's not a long journey by bicycle. 10 to 15 minutes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭vangough

Excellent- thanks for all the info- much appreciated! Any more insight would be great! Don't view the apt til Monday!

Advertisement