Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling parts, realistic price?

Options
  • 10-11-2011 4:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭

I'm considering an upgrade in the coming months and was thinking of selling off my old components to part fund the newer stuff. I'm a bit clueless as to what parts should go for second hand and was hoping you guys could help me set some realistic prices.

The parts I was thinking of selling are:

AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition
    Gigabyte motherboard (specifics later, can't remember right now)
    4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Zalman X10 Performa CPU cooler
    As a bundle: E250

Palit GTX 460 768MB - E100

All parts in perfect working order, never overclocked, well maintained. Am I asking for too little or too much?

This is all purely curiosity at this stage - there are a few other things I need that may end up taking priority.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    I'm considering an upgrade in the coming months and was thinking of selling off my old components to part fund the newer stuff. I'm a bit clueless as to what parts should go for second hand and was hoping you guys could help me set some realistic prices.

The parts I was thinking of selling are:

AMD Phenom X4 965 Black Edition
    Gigabyte motherboard (specifics later, can't remember right now)
    4GB DDR2 800MHz RAM
    Zalman X10 Performa CPU cooler
    As a bundle: E250

Palit GTX 460 768MB - E100

All parts in perfect working order, never overclocked, well maintained. Am I asking for too little or too much?

This is all purely curiosity at this stage - there are a few other things I need that may end up taking priority.
    €100-€110 is about right for the GTX 460 but the the rest is pretty overpriced. Here is the equivalent brand new:

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Box, Sockel AM3|€103.52
    MSI 770-C45, AM3|€45.31
    4GB Corsair Valueselect DDR3-1333 CL9|€16.04
    Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 - Pro PWM Rev.2|€14.62

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭kfish2oo2

Thanks for the feedback, although the Artic Freezer Pro is much, much cheaper than the Zalman Performa, which goes for closer to E50 new.

So how does E150 for the bundle sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭deejer

its not a bad setup you have there. Depending on the mb i guess. Looking at the other parts im thinking its not an AM3 board. I have the 965BE and think its a good chip. That and the 460 are the two items with some value.

Could upgrade the MB to an AM3+ and pick up another 460. Just looking at your options. Hard to get their worth selling these items second hand

I was thinking that much too. I'm not too pushed about upgrading my CPU in all honesty, moreso the GPU.

At the moment I have a single PCIe x16, so an SLI setup will mean me buying a new motherboard, RAM and PSU to go with it, which ends up costing (in my mind at least), more than the improved performance is worth. Also, I'm not too keen on locking myself into the AMD architecture, especially after Bulldozers awful performance in gaming as my PC is primarily for just that: gaming. Its looking more and more like AMD is focusing on multithreaded applications, but games really don't make much use of that, especially as development focus is usually on consoles first and PC's second.

Its a real headache trying to figure it all out!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

Id be interested in the CPU and maybe the cooler depending on prices. pm me if you have an idea on prices. hell id take the 460 if my server supported SLI... which it doesnt..

• Advertisement

Right, had a little chat with the parents and they've more or less agreed to give me €450 to spend on components as a combined birthday/Christmas gift, provided I sell the GTX 460 and give them the proceeds. After a bit of head scratching and realistically looking at my needs, I've decided to go with:

Total build cost: €442.06 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SyncMaster S22A350H €130.45
    8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu PC3-10667U CL9 €35.19
    ASRock M3A770DE, Sockel AM3, ATX €52.01
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €224.41

What I absolutely need is a monitor. My current 19" Dell monitor is very old and is losing a lot of colour definition - which makes my media-orenitated college work a bit of a pain to do, since colours on this monitor don't match the colours in the colleges high quality IPS panels (endless calibration hasn't solved anything; this monitor is simply on its last legs). The new motherboard and RAM will be paired with my Phenom II X4 which I've decided to keep for the moment (sorry Tea_Bag). I could have stuck with my current configuration, but 8GBs of DDR2 actually costs as much as the motherboard + DDR3 combo (my current setup is 1x 2GB module and 2x 1GB module). As for the GPU, I understand this model can in fact be flashed to 6970 BIOS - and if it can't, the 2GB of memory will still come in handy when it comes to rendering out 3D and other media.

If you have any suggestions or if I missed something, please say! If you want to suggest a different upgrade route within budget (and keeping the monitor, of course), I'm all ears :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 4,281 Mod ✭✭✭✭deconduo

kfish2oo2 wrote: »
    Right, had a little chat with the parents and they've more or less agreed to give me €450 to spend on components as a combined birthday/Christmas gift, provided I sell the GTX 460 and give them the proceeds. After a bit of head scratching and realistically looking at my needs, I've decided to go with:

Total build cost: €442.06 + €30 shipping
    Samsung SyncMaster S22A350H €130.45
    8GB-Kit Kingston HyperX blu PC3-10667U CL9 €35.19
    ASRock M3A770DE, Sockel AM3, ATX €52.01
    Sapphire HD 6950 Dirt3, 2GB GDDR5 PCI-Express €224.41

What I absolutely need is a monitor. My current 19" Dell monitor is very old and is losing a lot of colour definition - which makes my media-orenitated college work a bit of a pain to do, since colours on this monitor don't match the colours in the colleges high quality IPS panels (endless calibration hasn't solved anything; this monitor is simply on its last legs). The new motherboard and RAM will be paired with my Phenom II X4 which I've decided to keep for the moment (sorry Tea_Bag). I could have stuck with my current configuration, but 8GBs of DDR2 actually costs as much as the motherboard + DDR3 combo (my current setup is 1x 2GB module and 2x 1GB module). As for the GPU, I understand this model can in fact be flashed to 6970 BIOS - and if it can't, the 2GB of memory will still come in handy when it comes to rendering out 3D and other media.

If you have any suggestions or if I missed something, please say! If you want to suggest a different upgrade route within budget (and keeping the monitor, of course), I'm all ears :)

None of the 6950s out now can be flashed, but that model has a decent cooler for overclocking and comes with a free game.

As long as your PSU can handle it, everything looks good to me.

Trawled through loads of reviews and it only uses a tiny bit more power than my GTX 460, and both use less than my previous HD 4870 so no worries there :)

Advertisement