Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

freezing food

Options
  • 10-11-2011 4:45pm

I'm trying to make christmas dinner easy for myself so just wondering what type of food freezes well and which I should make fresh.

Veg then,
    Carrot & Parsnip mash? best to make the mash up first and then freeze or just freeze the cooked veg and then mash when I defrost it.
    Brussel sprouts - haven't even figured out what I'm doing with these so we'll leave that one.

Mashed potato - I gather this can't really be frozen, perhaps I'm wrong?

cranberry sauce - will this freeze ok? or how long will it last once made fresh?

Bread - better to bake and then freeze or to freeze the dough?

Can't think of anything else at the moment. The soup I know I can freeze and desserts I will make the day before (christmas pudding cheesecake!)

Thanks for your help :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,842 ✭✭✭shinikins

Veg then,
    Carrot & Parsnip mash? best to make the mash up first and then freeze or just freeze the cooked veg and then mash when I defrost it.
    Either works, but personally I prefer to mash it all first and defrost, just make sure the container is well sealed in the freezer
    Brussel sprouts - haven't even figured out what I'm doing with these so we'll leave that one.
    Freeze really well-try stir frying them with some sesame oil in a wok-yum!! Or boil them as normal(can be done from frozen)and then roast them up with some bacon and olive oil.

Mashed potato - I gather this can't really be frozen, perhaps I'm wrong?
    Can definitely be frozen, but don't reheat in the microwave. Let it defrost at room temperature then put it in a big pot with a little butter and milk/cream and use a wooden spoon to fold it while heating. You'll end up with creamed potatoes rather than mash but the end result is far better. It does take some elbow grease though
    cranberry sauce - will this freeze ok? or how long will it last once made fresh?
    Best to make ahead and jar while hot, it'll last for a few months unopened
    Bread - better to bake and then freeze or to freeze the dough?
    Either, I prefer to freeze the dough and bake than defrost the whole bread, nothing beats the smell of fresh baked bread!
    Can't think of anything else at the moment. The soup I know I can freeze and desserts I will make the day before (christmas pudding cheesecake!)Any chance of the recipe???:p

Thanks for your help :D
    If your doing roast potatoes you can par boil them and freeze, then roast on the day too!!

Advertisement